• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps are impressing the shit out of me

This is the best team we've ever had.

When you average the most goals and the fewest shots allowed, you're going to win a lot of games.

I have no clue why St. Louis and LA let TJ Oshie and Justin Williams get away - both are SO good in so many ways.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klefbom is -4 as he prepares to play the back nine.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you average the most goals and the fewest shots allowed, you're going to win a lot of games.

I have no clue why St. Louis and LA let TJ Oshie and Justin Williams get away - both are SO good in so many ways.

:nod: Just might be what we need to get over the hump. Already got a nice 13 combined points

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's his night off, but bring in Holtby.

Grubauer has been AWFUL tonight.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the90s.jpg

(it breaks my heart a little that the 90s seems like a long time ago, such a fantastic decade)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuznetsov gets the hat trick!!! 7-4 Caps. He had 5 points tonight.

XnR3141.gif

Connor McWho?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps are looking great!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still early but my Vegas bet that the Habs go 82-0 is looking slightly less silly.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe a little hyperbole, there's been some really fucking great Caps teams in the past. Problem is, they were all when the Pens and Wings were legendary.

There is a great assemblance of talent and Trotz is a coach who can coach a winner out of whoever he has. He's knows what each man is capable of and uses them is spots where they can contribute. Explains why guys like Oshie and Williams are shining when their last teams seemed to have given up on them.

But the big case study is Orpik. No way on earth if I'm a GM do I want him. But Trotz has him playing at exactly the right time. Give a guy a chance to play the way he knows the most during regular shifts, and he's more willing to give you more when you need it. Eventually, that extra effort becomes part of his game.

I fucking love Barry Trotz. Met him forever ago in Baltimore and was incredibly impressed.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good guy Czikas

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From last night's Wings - Flames game. Bennett does contact Quincey's head, but there is body contact as well. No penalty called on the play.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a little hyperbole, there's been some really fucking great Caps teams in the past. Problem is, they were all when the Pens and Wings were legendary.

There is a great assemblance of talent and Trotz is a coach who can coach a winner out of whoever he has. He's knows what each man is capable of and uses them is spots where they can contribute. Explains why guys like Oshie and Williams are shining when their last teams seemed to have given up on them.

But the big case study is Orpik. No way on earth if I'm a GM do I want him. But Trotz has him playing at exactly the right time. Give a guy a chance to play the way he knows the most during regular shifts, and he's more willing to give you more when you need it. Eventually, that extra effort becomes part of his game.

I fucking love Barry Trotz. Met him forever ago in Baltimore and was incredibly impressed.

I disagree. Part of the best team we've ever had IS the coach (he's part of the team, no?). We had some great teams in the late 80s/early 90s and pretty good ones near the end of the 90s (the team that went to the Finals was more hot at the right time than great). But they didn't have the elite talent this team does. No Caps' team had top 6 forwards this good. Dino/Hunter/Ridley/Pivonka were great, but I don't think any of them were individually as good as Backstrom or Ovechkin. And I don't think people know how good Kuznetsov is right now. Maybe after last night they have a better understanding. He's been deferring to OV and Oshie a lot but is going to be even more dangerous as he gets confidence and understands it is his line to run. He will be Datsyuk-level good in every way. I fully expect him to finish in the top 20 in points this season and our offensive leader when the OV-Backstrom era ends half a decade from now (fingers crossed).

Orpik has been a great addition to this team. Nobody was higher in combined hits and blocked shots last year. He has helped guys off the ice a ton as from his fitness regiment to the way he plays. He's been part of the culture change here as well as Trotz. We were 28th in shots allowed per game before he arrived. We went to 11th last season and are 1st right now. That's not just Orpik and Niskanen, but they had a lot to do with it. The physical toll he takes on other teams forwards is a big positive. In 3-4 years the Orpik deal will probably not be great, but it's time for some to eat some crow on that one. He's been a good addition. If the price tag was a mil too much, okay. We have 5-6 guys underpaid by a mil, so we can take that hit. And that happens in free agency. He has improved this hockey team and provided things - leadership, physicality, preparation - that were needed.

I'm a Caps' fan - do you think hyperbole and overconfidence are traits naturally indemic to our species? ;)

I'm fucking psyched about this team. My mellow will not be harshed!

Status
Not open for further replies.