• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johan Franzen is having a tough time with his latest concussion...

...Johan Franzen, out since January with his latest concussion, almost surely out for the season no matter how deep Detroit goes, and very questionable to ever resume his hockey career.
Only in the last few weeks has Franzen been able to put on skates….

Franzen was blindsided by Edmonton’s Rob Klinkhammer on Jan. 6. ... He stayed in the game, but the symptoms struck—hard—on the bus back to the hotel. He said he believes it was his fourth concussion, but isn’t totally sure.

For about two months, Franzen says, he could barely get out of bed. “I got up and tried to do whatever and got a migraine and had to shut right down.” Even now he says he has to go back to sleep in the afternoon or he’ll be debilitated by a headache.

The 35-year-old Franzen still has five years left on his contract, but he sounds like he wouldn’t be shocked if his career has already ended long before he was ready.

Johan Franzen's Brain Is Not Healthy

That is terrible. Ryane Clowe is rumored to be retiring as well, it's unfortunate but you really shouldn't mess around with brain injuries. You have a life to live, people in your life, it's not worth it.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...Johan Franzen, out since January with his latest concussion, almost surely out for the season no matter how deep Detroit goes, and very questionable to ever resume his hockey career.

Franzen was blindsided by Edmonton’s Rob Klinkhammer on Jan. 6. ... He stayed in the game, but the symptoms struck—hard—on the bus back to the hotel. He said he believes it was his fourth concussion, but isn’t totally sure.

For about two months, Franzen says, he could barely get out of bed. “I got up and tried to do whatever and got a migraine and had to shut right down.” Even now he says he has to go back to sleep in the afternoon or he’ll be debilitated by a headache.

The 35-year-old Franzen still has five years left on his contract, but he sounds like he wouldn’t be shocked if his career has already ended long before he was ready.

Sorry to hear that. I always liked him.

On a lighter note, if his contract is insure, maybe you can peddle him to Columbus for Clarkson?

At least DET will get cap relief via LTIR.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to say I am not familiar with him. 1 season, 11 goals. Was his contract expiring? Seems like a good deal for the kid, not so sure about the Stars though :noidea:

Very good young defenseman for the Stars, I think it's a good contract for both sides.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do we think he properly retires then, or does he pull a Pronger and not officially retire for 5 years to continue collecting his paycheck?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we think he properly retires then, or does he pull a Pronger and not officially retire for 5 years to continue collecting his paycheck?

I don't have a problem with guys continuing to collect their paychecks even though it's unlikely they'll play again, both sides realize this is a possibility when they sign the deal (I don't think anybody was holding a gun to Ken Holland's head when he signed that 11 year contract).

/Although it is Detroit, maybe somebody was holding a gun to his head.
//I kid, I kid.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with guys continuing to collect their paychecks even though it's unlikely they'll play again, both sides realize this is a possibility when they sign the deal (I don't think anybody was holding a gun to Ken Holland's head when he signed that 11 year contract).

/Although it is Detroit, maybe somebody was holding a gun to his head.
//I kid, I kid.
My bigger issue is giving the cap relief at the same time because we're somehow pretending these guys could play again.

I'd rather the next CBA include a provision to allow a player to retire but still get paid out the funds - assuming it's a real medical issue of course - and eliminate the farce we have currently.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is terrible. Ryane Clowe is rumored to be retiring as well, it's unfortunate but you really shouldn't mess around with brain injuries. You have a life to live, people in your life, it's not worth it.

So true.

All mine came before age 20, and I was very careless. And incredibly lucky.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bigger issue is giving the cap relief at the same time because we're somehow pretending these guys could play again.

I'd rather the next CBA include a provision to allow a player to retire but still get paid out the funds - assuming it's a real medical issue of course - and eliminate the farce we have currently.
Doesn't that bring back the problem with the front-loaded contracts?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't that bring back the problem with the front-loaded contracts?
I guess it would all depend on how it's implemented. Since this is the NHL, we can assume they'd screw it up.

But if it's written in such a way that only injury-type conditions would apply (i.e., not just a guy's knees breaking down because he's 40 years old), you can still eliminate the cap recapture penalties.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it would all depend on how it's implemented. Since this is the NHL, we can assume they'd screw it up.

But if it's written in such a way that only injury-type conditions would apply (i.e., not just a guy's knees breaking down because he's 40 years old), you can still eliminate the cap recapture penalties.
The problem with that is teams could just lie and claim injury problems. Chara may very well be a 10 point defenceman next season with the mobility of a 3-wheeled forklift and will still have 2 years left on his deal - think Boston wouldn't just make up an injury and Chara retires happily? This is beeg problem.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is teams could just lie and claim injury problems. Chara may very well be a 10 point defenceman next season with the mobility of a 3-wheeled forklift and will still have 2 years left on his deal - think Boston wouldn't just make up an injury and Chara retires happily? This is beeg problem.
Hey, I haven't hashed out all the details yet :D

As it stands right now, I believe there is some provision in place to ensure that LTIR isn't being used just to get around cap issues whereby the league can request an independent doctor to rule on the player. Maybe something like that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As it stands right now, I believe there is some provision in place to ensure that LTIR isn't being used just to get around cap issues whereby the league can request an independent doctor to rule on the player. Maybe something like that.
That would make sense.

I'm good either way, but even moreso if the Bruins suffer :)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dr. Mark Louis Recchi?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would make sense.

I'm good either way, but even moreso if the Bruins suffer :)
It's really the Pronger thing that gets me the most. Not only was allowing him to stay on LTIR a farce to begin with, but then they let him continue collecting from the team even though he's working for the front office.

It's made me bitter and cynical towards all LTIR non-retirements.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really the Pronger thing that gets me the most. Not only was allowing him to stay on LTIR a farce to begin with, but then they let him continue collecting from the team even though he's working for the front office.

It's made me bitter and cynical towards all LTIR non-retirements.
Yeah, I still don't understand the Pronger shit. Don't think I ever will.

johnny_corbeau

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Test. It seems that you can see my messages but I can't see yours.

Argghhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.