• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, four years in the top 5 picks (although the Crosby year was more lucky than anything, seeing as it came off of a lockout). I wouldn't say that the Pens tanked in those years though. They were simply incompetently run. Hell, after Jagr gets traded they simply had no clue what the hell they were doing. The identity of the team was pretty much gone. You can't even say they tanked for Sid, because there was no season to tank. You can talk about them tanking for Lemieux, but 2001-2004 were just dark times for the team. Times plenty of teams have had. Hell, they went from losing in the ECF in 2001 to no playoffs for three years. Again: they traded Jagr and lost any semblance of identity. So much so that Mario felt the need to come back. Then money issues continue, they trade Kovy, etc. Frankly, they were simply lucky that their years of incompetence resulted in franchise players. Plenty of teams have had similar runs but get mired with a lack of talent because they draft a bust or it's simply not a good draft, etc.
I agree...I was holding that out as the example of how a team should not be rewarded for putting a crap product out year after year. The year they got Mario was the deliberate tank.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 22nd was the pick they used on Eberle in 2008. The Vanek offer sheet was in July 2007, so it would've been included.

They also would've missed out on excellent 10th overall pick Magnus Paajarvi. Of course, the 2009 draft was a steaming pile of donkey shit after the 7th pick so maybe they get a pass on that one and Buf were just better off with Vanek anyway.
I think (again, not sure) that the Eberle pick was not actually Edmonton's, but had been acquired by them in a trade and that their own pick based on their finish in the season was top-15.

By no means an expert on this either, but the way I understand offer sheet compensation is that it has to be your own pick. As in, if Edmonton was slated to pick 1st overall, they couldn't make a trade to also get the 30th pick and then give the 30th away as the compensation for the offer sheet.

Not like any of it matters anyhow since the Sabres matched.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think (again, not sure) that the Eberle pick was not actually Edmonton's, but had been acquired by them in a trade and that their own pick based on their finish in the season was top-15.

By no means an expert on this either, but the way I understand offer sheet compensation is that it has to be your own pick. As in, if Edmonton was slated to pick 1st overall, they couldn't make a trade to also get the 30th pick and then give the 30th away as the compensation for the offer sheet.

Yeah the Eberle pick came from the Chris Pronger deal

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem with Edmonton is that they have drafted poorly outside of the 1st round (rounds 2, 3, and 4 is where you hopefully find some pretty good players to round out your roster). Instead, they pick pluggers like Mitch Moroz (drafted 32nd overall in 2012, i.e. the 2nd pick of the 2nd round). He can't skate and has no hands and will be a AHL player or emergency call-up at best.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Eberle pick came from the Chris Pronger deal

And funnily enough Edmontons pick actually wound up in Buffalo anyway (Myers) lol

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Edmonton's done half decent with their first rounders, rest of the draft? Not so much.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curtis Glencross now has 4 goals and 2 assists in his 7th game as a Capital.

The guy has been a good spark. Now only if some of the forwards not named Ovexhkin and Bacstron could similarly step up....

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curtis Glencross now has 4 goals and 2 assists in his 7th game as a Capital.

The guy has been a good spark. Now only if some of the forwards not named Ovexhkin and Bacstron could similarly step up....

Good to hear that Glengarry is playing well - He is a streaky player for sure.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will probably get a lot of groans, but I would like the NHL to try this idea:

A one game wild card for the final wild card spot if the two teams are tied in points - it would add lots of intrigue and drama to the league and considering how close the Wild Cards are this season, it would make for a really good game

Thoughts?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already hate the MLB one-game wild card deal, so I'll just throw a no-vote out there for no logical reason.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will probably get a lot of groans, but I would like the NHL to try this idea:

A one game wild card for the final wild card spot if the two teams are tied in points - it would add lots of intrigue and drama to the league and considering how close the Wild Cards are this season, it would make for a really good game

Thoughts?

If I remember correctly, wasn't the league tossing around the idea of expanding the playoffs from 16 to 20 teams (seeds 7-10 to do a play-in round). Here's the link:

Four more teams: Should NHL expand playoffs? - Sportsnet.ca

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already hate the MLB one-game wild card deal, so I'll just throw a no-vote out there for no logical reason.
Yeah, a full game is too long. Half a game is even too long. First team to score wins. Nobody scores after a period? Neither team advances nor gets to use their win in the bank.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, wasn't the league tossing around the idea of expanding the playoffs from 16 to 20 teams (seeds 7-10 to do a play-in round). Here's the link:

Four more teams: Should NHL expand playoffs? - Sportsnet.ca

Adding four more teams would be too much imo but if the two teams are tied for the final spot, then they should do a play in game because I think deciding a playoff spot based on a tie-breaker would suck - a one game playoff would be epic in hockey and there wouldn't be the lulls like there might be in baseball

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a full game is too long. Half a game is even too long. First team to score wins. Nobody scores after a period? Neither team advances nor gets to use their win in the bank.
Forget that. Just go straight to a full-team shootout. Goalies and backups included.

Hell, coaches and trainers too.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Adding four more teams would be too much imo but if the two teams are tied for the final spot, then they should do a play in game because I think deciding a playoff spot based on a tie-breaker would suck - a one game playoff would be epic in hockey and there wouldn't be the lulls like there might be in baseball
yes it would, but it makes the ROW stat column, and the urgency to go for it in overtime meaningless.
I'm of the belief that points is points, and a one game do or die would be pretty freakin' sweet.
maybe they could just use the ROW column to determine home ice for the one-game playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.