• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be Price............................................everyone else for the Hart. Interestingly enough I think there are some other goalies that could challenge for the Vezina, but not for the Hart. When you look at the Habs season, look into some fancy stats, etc he's their reason for success. There's no forward who has had a bigger impact on their team, no one is really doing the whole "put the team on the back" thing. A few players had a shot pre-injury (Seguin and even Rinne), but when there's a bunch of good not great seasons coming from forwards, and a goalie pulling his team along majority of the season, it's an easy choice. Only way it doesn't happen is if voters have a stick up their butts about giving it to a goalie.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Tavares is leading the league in points with 72, the next guy on the Islanders has 44. The Islanders minus Tavares are a fringe playoff team, probably on the outside looking in. Instead they have a shot at finishing top of the conference. If there is a forward that has put his team on his back, it's Jon Tavares. Let's not completely dismiss the Montreal roster as a bunch of slouches either, Price has a very good team playing in front of him.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Tavares is leading the league in points with 72, the next guy on the Islanders has 44. The Islanders minus Tavares are a fringe playoff team, probably on the outside looking in. Instead they have a shot at finishing top of the conference. If there is a forward that has put his team on his back, it's Jon Tavares. Let's not completely dismiss the Montreal roster as a bunch of slouches either, Price has a very good team playing in front of him.
His team can't score, can't keep the puck and can't keep shots away from his net. Montreal is just as fringe a playoff team without Price as NYI is without JT.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His team can't score, can't keep the puck and can't keep shots away from his net. Montreal is just as fringe a playoff team without Price as NYI is without JT.

Which is fair enough, I just don't see this MVP race as a landslide win for Price. He's a goalie, so he should be relied upon more. This isn't a goaltenders shouldn't be in the MVP discussion argument by me so much as I think it's far more impressive for a forward to completely carry a team on his back than a goaltender.

Also, the reverse argument could be made for Jon T and the Islanders. They have the most goals against of any playoff team at the moment by a decent margin, the team cannot keep other teams off the board. If Tavares isn't scoring at the pace he is the Islanders are losing a lot of games.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just based on offensive production, I am not sure you can make the case for JT. His PPG is slightly lower than last year and marginally higher than 2 years ago. Yet the team's overall record is up substantially. How is he the MVP this year, but not last year. His personal production is unchanged.

BTW, the dude with 44 points is Okposo, and he has missed 20 games. FWIW.

Dont get me wrong, I love JT and I would vote for him for the Hart. I used to watch him in the 'Shwa as a junior and have followed him since. My eyeballs say he gets the Hart. Plus, I just cant give it to a goalie.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's amazing what JT has done this season. He's taking the team on his back and just winning games on his own. The fact that he has 72 points and 44 is second on the team is amazing. He hasn't had a steady line mate this entire season. Remarkable.

That Price guy has been good but isn't there another trophy for him....

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be an interesting Hart race this year. No dominant scorer this year, got to think Price got to be the favourite to win it.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we have this discussion every year? It becomes an argument of definition between "Top Scorer" and the literal words in the award description; "player adjudged to be most valuable to his team".

Seems like using the second definition rarely happens. But they describe no one better than Price this season.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we have this discussion every year? It becomes an argument of definition between "Top Scorer" and the literal words in the award description; "player adjudged to be most valuable to his team".

Seems like using the second definition rarely happens. But they describe no one better than Price this season.

It's why they created the Lindsay (formerly Pearson) that goes to the most outstanding player. Give the Lindsay to Tavares and the Hart to Price.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's why they created the Lindsay (formerly Pearson) that goes to the most outstanding player. Give the Lindsay to Tavares and the Hart to Price.

I think they created the Lindsay more to give the players a say than to award something completely different from the Hart.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta go with Tavares because in addition to being the MVP of a team that did a complete turnaround he is that teams undisputed leader

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they created the Lindsay more to give the players a say than to award something completely different from the Hart.

That's true, the players vote on the Lindsay while it's professional hockey writers who vote on the Hart. Sometimes they agree and sometimes they don't.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta go with Tavares because in addition to being the MVP of a team that did a complete turnaround he is that teams undisputed leader

Sure, but...that's because of getting an actual defense and goalie.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, the players vote on the Lindsay while it's professional hockey writers who vote on the Hart. Sometimes they agree and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes when they differ it's really funny. One such example I thought of right away I would say disproves the idea that the Lindsay is for the best season regardless of team results and/or the always handwavey "value". In 1986 Gretzky won the Hart while Lemieux won the Pearson/Lindsay, even though the former outscored the latter by 4 goals and 70 assists, setting the single season assist and points records in the process.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They had defense last year too, it was just tough to see it with the worst goaltending in the league.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True

Isles could have easily fell off though when KO got hurt - JT stepped up big time and to me, that's what superstar players do and that might have been what saved their season

Status
Not open for further replies.