• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so, there's been a huge increase in measles cases in the lower mainland of BC over the last few years because people are "assuming" that every other kid is getting vaccinated, so the logic is my kid should be covered.

What incredibly flawed logic it is too. "Well, clearly the smart choice is to not have my child immunized." "Clearly no one else will make this smart choice, because I alone have such superior knowledge!" "Measles?! HOW?! All those kids are immunized!"

Mandoli

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter says Sid's missing the next two games. Precautionary.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think:

B4ralOUCYAAfWmT.jpg:large

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI that I've learned from all of this: the mumps vaccine wears off as you age. So boosters should happen, but it's likely a lot of these guys DID have the vaccine as a kid.

I believe they (the players) would have had only 1 shot as kids though ... kids today (at least where I live) get 2 shots of the vaccine in the first 6 years of their lives ... and no ... its not mandatory here ... so we have pockets in a "bible belt" area outside of vancouver in a suburb where outbreaks of measles & whooping cough happen frequently

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they (the players) would have had only 1 shot as kids though ... kids today (at least where I live) get 2 shots of the vaccine in the first 6 years of their lives ... and no ... its not mandatory here ... so we have pockets in a "bible belt" area outside of vancouver in a suburb where outbreaks of measles & whooping cough happen frequently

I think the 2nd dose became recommended around here in the late 80s, so most of these guys would probably have been subject to that guidance if they are American.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting note on the mumps epidemic: all the Olympic guys got the vaccine prior to going to Russia. Sooooo...yep. Perry, Suter, Sid (maybe), any other Olympians with it?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter says Sid's missing the next two games. Precautionary.

One of those games features a healthy and rejuvenated Brandon Dubinsky.
dubcros.gif

:whistle:

What it will not feature is Scott Hartnell.
Columbus Blue Jackets - Hartnell on IR; Rychel recalled - Columbus Blue Jackets - News

Oh well, I guess the voodoo doctor that has cursed the team was only on vacation. The five game streak was nice while it lasted. Not the winning streak. The five games they went between players getting hurt.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those games features a healthy and rejuvenated Brandon Dubinsky.
dubcros.gif

:whistle:

What it will not feature is Scott Hartnell.
Columbus Blue Jackets - Hartnell on IR; Rychel recalled - Columbus Blue Jackets - News

Oh well, I guess the voodoo doctor that has cursed the team was only on vacation. The five game streak was nice while it lasted. Not the winning streak. The five games they went between players getting hurt.

The broken finger had to have come from a Hartnell down, right?!

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The broken finger had to have come from a Hartnell down, right?!

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened against Philly. He took a shot off his hand.

Not sure that's when it broke, but that's probably where it started. He probably finished it off being slashed by Wilson last night. Or maybe it was when he broke his stick on Wilson's neck...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect Simon Despres will be getting a call from the league for his hit on Ladislav Smid. 2-3 games is what I predict. Probably about what he deserves. He might have left his feet, and there was contact to his head, but Smid put himself into a bad position, as well, which could mitigate some of the punishment.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect Simon Despres will be getting a call from the league for his hit on Ladislav Smid. 2-3 games is what I predict. Probably about what he deserves. He might have left his feet, and there was contact to his head, but Smid put himself into a bad position, as well, which could mitigate some of the punishment.

I think he deserves a game, I think it would be mistake to let him off scot free.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he'll get that much. Maybe a game.

What I don't like about the hit is how he went EXTRA hard when a guy was in a vulnerable position. The level of Smid's head somewhat rationalizes the contact to the head but he just didn't let up at all. It's hard to let up as a player but these guys are the best athletes on skates and need to be able to make quick decisions
regarding fellow players' safety.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets anything, I'd say a game. It should've been 2 minutes in game, again still ironic that of all the crap ton of calls last night, the rough stuff was never called.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olli Maatta to the IR, supposedly the injury is to the repaired shoulder. Eff.

Oldtom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets anything, I'd say a game. It should've been 2 minutes in game, again still ironic that of all the crap ton of calls last night, the rough stuff was never called.

Yup, that's where the credibility really suffers - sports are only going to get less and less safe, until the refereeing, policing, and sanctioning what happens playing them, is taken away from the P.T. Barnums/V. McCanns that are running them as 'Entertainment' for their big buck MASTERS.
Yup again, there's only one race (the ?human? one), and, things really could be done a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.