• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. On Matthias!!! LLLOOOLLLL. Turris is trying to get to the net and Matthias impedes his progress.

Like I said, I wouldn't expect it to be called the way the game had gone (been managed) but earlier in the game that's likely a penalty on Matthias.

by skating in a straight line??? They dont normally call that if the player stays in his lane

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know why NBCSN showed the Sabres vs Blues game instead of the Lightning vs Blackhawks game last night? Heck they could have shown just about any other game. I thought the object of the network which has the National TV package was to get more people interested in hockey, not the other way around.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know why NBCSN showed the Sabres vs Blues game instead of the Lightning vs Blackhawks game last night? Heck they could have shown just about any other game. I thought the object of the network which has the National TV package was to get more people interested in hockey, not the other way around.

Even though Penguins/Rangers was a blowout, that would have been a really desirable game

I know Sabres fans watch their teams well on TV, but even then, on non-Wednesday night games, the NBCSN broadcast would still be blacked out I think, so that really wouldn't have Sabres fans tuning in

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though Penguins/Rangers was a blowout, that would have been a really desirable game

I know Sabres fans watch their teams well on TV, but even then, on non-Wednesday night games, the NBCSN broadcast would still be blacked out I think, so that really wouldn't have Sabres fans tuning in

The Sabres have been on NBCSN twice already this season. The Connor McDavid updates during intermission are annoying as well. I'm not saying the Sabres shouldn't be on the air. I'm just saying there were so many other games to choose from. There was absolutely no reason to show Buffalo last night.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportsnet One in Canada had Rangers - Penguins...I think the Rangers were mad about losing to the Oil and took it out on the Penguins last night.

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the schedule maker is sticking it to the Bruins for the 2nd time this year already. Nothing like getting the rival Habs on the road in the 2nd of back to backs...for the 2nd time this year...nice job:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the "fighting is useless" bandwagon these days, but you can't hold it against the kid for getting in a scrap. You can hold it against him for not being a good scrapper, but...

Hopefully it's just a small fracture at worst. I'm really looking forward to seeing him with Canada at the WJC's next month and it would be a shame if he were to get replaced by Frederik Gauthier or some crap :hope:

It's a maturity thing, and he is a kid...but common sense says don't put yourself in needless harm when you're the projected #1 over draft pick. Doubt it affects his stock at all, but still remains a stupid decision. Even in those heat of the moment scraps that involve hands guys tick me off. Sid/Geno have done it on the Pens, and I yell at them through my TV. Drives me nuts.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportsnet One in Canada had Rangers - Penguins...I think the Rangers were mad about losing to the Oil and took it out on the Penguins last night.

Yeah, when I read Ulf's comments after that game I wasn't exactly expecting great things from that game. Not 5-0 bad, but not good things.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Sabres fans NBCSN will be showing your team again on Tuesday. I've never seen a team this bad get so much National Coverage before.

It'd be one thing if they were struggling and weren't projected preseason to be horrible...but, the world saw this coming. Not exactly going to help out ratings by doing there.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be one thing if they were struggling and weren't projected preseason to be horrible...but, the world saw this coming. Not exactly going to help out ratings by doing there.

Exactly. I'm not asking them to show my team. I just think they should show the best matchup every night they televise a game. There were a number of good games this past Tuesday they could have shown instead of the Sabres vs Blues. That Kings vs Ducks game last night was great. NBCSN should be showing as many games like that as possible. Not the Sabres.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I'm not asking them to show my team. I just think they should show the best matchup every night they televise a game. There were a number of good games this past Tuesday they could have shown instead of the Sabres vs Blues. That Kings vs Ducks game last night was great. NBCSN should be showing as many games like that as possible. Not the Sabres.

Yep, I mean people complain that certain teams get more national air time than others, but usually those teams are putting up a better brand of hockey. Just like NBCSN needs to can the "rivalry night" thing. Pick the best game and just call it game of the week. Because the Caps and Wings aren't rivals.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I mean people complain that certain teams get more national air time than others, but usually those teams are putting up a better brand of hockey. Just like NBCSN needs to can the "rivalry night" thing. Pick the best game and just call it game of the week. Because the Caps and Wings aren't rivals.

Exactly. I was wondering how they were going to arrange a game between rivals every single Wednesday when the commercials started. I see now that they didn't even bother. :L

The NHL really must think its fans are stupid.

Florida against Phoenix? RIVALRY NIGHT!!

Columbus against Dallas? BIG RIVALRY!!

Just pick the BEST game and go from there.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I was wondering how they were going to arrange a game between rivals every single Wednesday when the commercials started. I see now that they didn't even bother. :L

The NHL really must think its fans are stupid.

Florida against Phoenix? RIVALRY NIGHT!!

Columbus against Dallas? BIG RIVALRY!!

Just pick the BEST game and go from there.

It could have been if not for re-alignment.

And we were 6 years in the future.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I am most certainly not defending the decision to put Buffalo on a lot, I think you're significantly over-simplifying the situation.

LA vs. Anaheim may have been a great game (and easy to forecast as a good game), but it's west coast. And only the greater LA market for that matter. Call it East Coast Bias, call it common business sense, but NBCSN doesn't like west coast only games unless it's the 2nd half of a double-header or the playoffs.

There's also the need to buy the rights to the broadcast from the participating teams. Philly gets on a lot because Comcast owns both NBCSN and the Flyers so they're essentially buying from themselves. Buffalo is going to get on a lot because they are a small market team that doesn't have a particularly lucrative TV contract, so the rights are easier to come by.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I am most certainly not defending the decision to put Buffalo on a lot, I think you're significantly over-simplifying the situation.

LA vs. Anaheim may have been a great game (and easy to forecast as a good game), but it's west coast. And only the greater LA market for that matter. Call it East Coast Bias, call it common business sense, but NBCSN doesn't like west coast only games unless it's the 2nd half of a double-header or the playoffs.

There's also the need to buy the rights to the broadcast from the participating teams. Philly gets on a lot because Comcast owns both NBCSN and the Flyers so they're essentially buying from themselves. Buffalo is going to get on a lot because they are a small market team that doesn't have a particularly lucrative TV contract, so the rights are easier to come by.

Well then NBCSN needs to be more savvy and put West Coast teams on more on East Coast times when they're in the East or Central so that they get more exposure

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then NBCSN needs to be more savvy and put West Coast teams on more on East Coast times when they're in the East or Central so that they get more exposure

So that paying customers who have a 9-5 job can't make it to the game on time?

Not likely.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that paying customers who have a 9-5 job can't make it to the game on time?

Not likely.

No what I meant was that put West Coast teams on NBCSN more when they're on the road - so for example, if the Kings are on the East Coast, put them on NBCSN more because they like putting East Coast teams on more

Status
Not open for further replies.