• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iegz0txsjvjd1.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

A BRUISE ON THE LEG IS A HELL OF A LONG WAY FROM THE HEART

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
h0715zwee4kd1.jpeg

Duke drops the braids. The fun of working for a dinosaur like Louie Lams.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minusing Amirov this trade keeps alive Dubas' streak of trading away every single first round pick he's had as a GM, either before drafting or after.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minusing Amirov this trade keeps alive Dubas' streak of trading away every single first round pick he's had as a GM, either before drafting or after.
It is also the Penguins way. Either trade away their first round pick or the player they pick.

Since Malkin/Crosby the only two first round picks, made by the Penguins in their system is Poulin (who seems like he is a bust and most likely will be gone) and Pickering (who was an awful Hextall reach and expect him to be dealt).

This deal itself seems like a huge gamble as Yager seemed like a nice piece moving forward.
I know nothing about the guy they got outside he is a winger that scored in college, but so did Drew O'Connor.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very disappointing for those of us involved with programs doing everything we can to get more people playing and helping them afford it.
Just really hoping my kids are tall or have a good 3 pt shot.

There’s just zero chance I’m going to be paying what it takes to get a kid into hockey today.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very disappointing for those of us involved with programs doing everything we can to get more people playing and helping them afford it.
All sports are the same these days. You are going to have to shell out if you want your kid to always try and get to the next level (friend of mine rails against travel ball/baseball).

Kids and families are getting squeezed out or not able to even start certain sports because of cost so programs like the one you are involved with are good in so much as they introduce kids to the sport ... but ... big but... then if the program doesn't continue supporting those families/kids as they age, theres no path forward to continuation of the sport. There is a whole demographic of kids that play sports that never get a chance because they never enter the organized sports stream.

Last night my son was at a tryout camp (id camp for AP players on a local junior B team :thumb: ) .... throwing back to this old post of mine : The new footy thread ) ... I went for a walk (because I could not bare the nerves to watch my son tryout lol) around the track of this rec centre complex ... in the middle of the full turf soccer field was a team practicing using the whole length of the field ... 14 and 15 year olds I think ... all decked out in their practice uniforms ... they kinda sucked lol ... as I round the track to the end there is the area of turf behind the goals so like a 7/8's sliver of the field ... and this rag tag collection of little kids playing a game ... no coaches or adults to be seen ... and they were amazing. They looked to be middle eastern 11 maybe 12 year olds ... werent speaking english but they were better players than the older kids. Was a crazy compare and contrast moment.

And really who knows ... maybe these kids are/were actually involved in organized sport/soccer. Point is though, for those that arent, programs have to exist that give these kids a chance. And corporations that profit from sport, should see the benefit in being involved in these programs if they have any long term vision.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just really hoping my kids are tall or have a good 3 pt shot.

There’s just zero chance I’m going to be paying what it takes to get a kid into hockey today.
Post COVID gear prices have gone insane, and it wasn't great before. Our club has a 20k sq ft warehouse space filled with gear and we get 50 grand from the Blue Jackets every year to keep it stocked and buy ice. In General, our former players donate stuff to us so we have a solid mix of new and used gear. I have been able to fully outfit 15 goalies the last 3 years at no cost to them. Not sure how much longer we can do that if prices keep going mad, though. While recovering from my knee surgery I went in and scavenged straps, snaps and bits and pieces from every piece of old gear I could to make sure the relatively modern stuff can continue to be used as long as possible.

The cost of ice has doubled since 2021, and all of our local rinks have put in LED lighting and new cooling systems that are more efficient. Like, shouldn't that *lower* costs?

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All sports are the same these days. You are going to have to shell out if you want your kid to always try and get to the next level (friend of mine rails against travel ball/baseball).

Kids and families are getting squeezed out or not able to even start certain sports because of cost so programs like the one you are involved with are good in so much as they introduce kids to the sport ... but ... big but... then if the program doesn't continue supporting those families/kids as they age, theres no path forward to continuation of the sport. There is a whole demographic of kids that play sports that never get a chance because they never enter the organized sports stream.

Last night my son was at a tryout camp (id camp for AP players on a local junior B team :thumb: ) .... throwing back to this old post of mine : The new footy thread ) ... I went for a walk (because I could not bare the nerves to watch my son tryout lol) around the track of this rec centre complex ... in the middle of the full turf soccer field was a team practicing using the whole length of the field ... 14 and 15 year olds I think ... all decked out in their practice uniforms ... they kinda sucked lol ... as I round the track to the end there is the area of turf behind the goals so like a 7/8's sliver of the field ... and this rag tag collection of little kids playing a game ... no coaches or adults to be seen ... and they were amazing. They looked to be middle eastern 11 maybe 12 year olds ... werent speaking english but they were better players than the older kids. Was a crazy compare and contrast moment.

And really who knows ... maybe these kids are/were actually involved in organized sport/soccer. Point is though, for those that arent, programs have to exist that give these kids a chance. And corporations that profit from sport, should see the benefit in being involved in these programs if they have any long term vision.
Don't get me started on "Select Elite Super Snowflake" teams. We have a ton of them here and it seems a new one got stood up every time some doctor's kid doesn't make the last one. The Jackets are fixing that too. We used to have 5 different Youth hockey programs around the city and each one had house, A, AA, and Travel. Then some had a second Travel team. Then "Prep" squads. Pre/Post season "Elite Teams" blah blah blah.

The Jackets stepped in and took over house hockey. One organization from Mini Mite/Learn To Play to Bantam for house/rec hockey. The other five programs still exist, but can have one travel team per age group and that's it. AA teams are now part of the BlueJackets AAA program, and it's one team per age group in the whole city as well.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
back in my day, sponsorship meant a local autobody shop bought your jerseys for you.
end of story. I think we might have gotten a 10% discount at that autobody shop as well.