• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me started on "Select Elite Super Snowflake" teams. We have a ton of them here and it seems a new one got stood up every time some doctor's kid doesn't make the last one. The Jackets are fixing that too. We used to have 5 different Youth hockey programs around the city and each one had house, A, AA, and Travel. Then some had a second Travel team. Then "Prep" squads. Pre/Post season "Elite Teams" blah blah blah.

The Jackets stepped in and took over house hockey. One organization from Mini Mite/Learn To Play to Bantam for house/rec hockey. The other five programs still exist, but can have one travel team per age group and that's it. AA teams are now part of the BlueJackets AAA program, and it's one team per age group in the whole city as well.
at the non junior lower levels/ages here, we have the non Hockey Canada affiliated ( RENEGADE!!! - lol ) leagues locally ... I cant even keep track of them YPHL EPHL so many acronyms lol ... my son tells me about all the kids who leave/disappear from the association for these leagues after they get cut from the rep teams

I cant really complain about them though ... its like a twisted up 2 tier health system ... the renegade leagues get the shitty rich kids out of the system when the roster spots are taken up by those of more modest means with better talent lol

they are in an advantageous position to improve thanks to daddy spending 5 times the registration price I do for extra ice time/training but they are pretty much the kids never to be heard from again lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post COVID gear prices have gone insane, and it wasn't great before. Our club has a 20k sq ft warehouse space filled with gear and we get 50 grand from the Blue Jackets every year to keep it stocked and buy ice. In General, our former players donate stuff to us so we have a solid mix of new and used gear. I have been able to fully outfit 15 goalies the last 3 years at no cost to them. Not sure how much longer we can do that if prices keep going mad, though. While recovering from my knee surgery I went in and scavenged straps, snaps and bits and pieces from every piece of old gear I could to make sure the relatively modern stuff can continue to be used as long as possible.

The cost of ice has doubled since 2021, and all of our local rinks have put in LED lighting and new cooling systems that are more efficient. Like, shouldn't that *lower* costs?
Seems like a recurring theme in the US - the pro clubs are actually making an effort to support the junior game.

Whereas in Canada it's more just taken for granted that kids will play hockey so the NHL teams don't do much. At least doesn't seem like it. Maybe it just isn't discussed much up here.

/Also, arenas & community centres suddenly cost an absolute fortune to build and cities keep hiring starchitect firms to design them to just add to it. Not sure what ever went wrong with just having a few barn rinks around. Someone tell me how a community centre should cost a quarter billion dollars lmao

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big week for the best hockey player in the Kessell family. Congrats to the happy couple!

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So either:
1) He heard through the media that Rutger didn't want to sign and why and never bothered to talk to the player or his agent to figure out if there was anything they could find middle ground on

- or -

2) All of his own comments about why it was so difficult to find a trade for him means he did have those conversations and is trying to save face now.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst case they take his arb award no? He's not going anywhere at least this season.

Hopefully no later than next summer though lol
Yeah, they pretty much have him this year but how happy is he going to be? Edit: No. Neither he nor the club filed arbitration this year. That was last year.

And they handed him all the cards by trading Ullmark, showing a commitment to him. He knows the salary cap room available and short of going after Askarov, there is no trade to be had. He also know that no contender will want to roll with Crazy Legs. He's barely serviceable on a rebuilding / up and coming team.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they pretty much have him this year but how happy is he going to be? Edit: No. Neither he nor the club filed arbitration this year. That was last year.

And they handed him all the cards by trading Ullmark, showing a commitment to him. He knows the salary cap room available and short of going after Askarov, there is no trade to be had. He also know that no contender will want to roll with Crazy Legs. He's barely serviceable on a rebuilding / up and coming team.
Yeah I didn’t realize he didn’t file. Weird.

Hope they bungle this!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's basically Hertl for Askarov which is a huge win for Grier.

If I was a fan of the Sharks I'd be happy right now but it's far from a slam dunk. Askarov still has to prove he's a legit NHL starter.