• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in case you were wondering, on Dec 26, 1917 Newsy Lalonde had the first Gordie Howe hat trick.

Or maybe it was Harry Cameron. They both had 5 min majors in the same game, so I choose to believe they fought.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, who didn’t know Ryan Hartman was an absolute piece of shit?!?

Ryan Hartman is the new Claude Lemieux without all the Cup success. I loathed Claude, but he certainly was able to deliver in the playoffs for both the Habs and Avs.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Hartman is the new Claude Lemieux without all the Cup success. I loathed Claude, but he certainly was able to deliver in the playoffs for both the Habs and Avs.

I just find it to be bullshit that he doesn’t go after Dillon, and chooses to go after Perfetti who’s one of the smallest guys on the team

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Hartman is a noted piece of shit but the dude was wearing a wire. Not cool man.

The crazy thing to me is that you can say you're going to injure someone (which indicates clear intent) and the NHL says we're not going to penalize you for anything caught on a mic, but if a ref overhears you uttering a racist or homophobic slur or if there's video evidence of a racist or homophobic slur, you will be disciplined.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crazy thing to me is that you can say you're going to injure someone (which indicates clear intent) and the NHL says we're not going to penalize you for anything caught on a mic, but if a ref overhears you uttering a racist or homophobic slur or if there's video evidence of a racist or homophobic slur, you will be disciplined.
Yeah but the players only agreed to be mic’d up if the audio couldn’t be used against them. If they changed it they might not agree to be mic’d anymore and we’d lose hours and hours of “COME ON BUD” and “LETS GO BOYS” and don’t forget “NICE ONE [insertplayerslastnamehere]SY!”.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins did the fish out of water at the end of that play. I guess that is the new turtle?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins did the fish out of water at the end of that play. I guess that is the new turtle?

The part that bothers me is that Cousins was essentially given a free pass by the league to administer dirty hits after he avoided any supplementary discipline from the league for the brutal hit on Gubberson. You're seeing more and more guys being emboldened these days and my fear is somebody is going to get seriously injured.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no doubt. Shouldn't the league be trying to curtail this behavior?
Shouldn't the players union?

It's kind of hard to feel bad for players when this happens when the union they control consistently backs the guy doing the injuring.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't the players union?

It's kind of hard to feel bad for players when this happens when the union they control consistently backs the guy doing the injuring.

I don't think we'll ever see a day when the player's union takes the side of one player over another (maybe an extreme situation like Bertuzzi - Moore). They'll just trot out the old tried and true "it's a fast game" and "everybody knows when they take the ice that it could be their last game". They might also be fearful of potential litigation from a player if that player feels the union is preventing him from playing in the league even though that player might be making things unsafe for his union brethren.

Thus, they have left it to the league and we all see how well that is working.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we'll ever see a day when the player's union takes the side of one player over another (maybe an extreme situation like Bertuzzi - Moore). They'll just trot out the old tried and true "it's a fast game" and "everybody knows when they take the ice that it could be their last game". They might also be fearful of potential litigation from a player if that player feels the union is preventing him from playing in the league even though that player might be making things unsafe for his union brethren.

Thus, they have left it to the league and we all see how well that is working.
If they don’t want to take care of themselves then why should I care?

For what possible reason do guys like McDavid, Bedard, Matthews, Pettersson, Eichel, Kucherov etc., the guys who put asses in the seats with their talent and make the most money, not pressure the union they finance to get with it or find people who will?

It all boils down to that for me and until that day comes I’ll just assume they’re all fine with barbarity and cheap shots and ignore when they whine to the media about the league not taking tougher stances.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part that bothers me is that Cousins was essentially given a free pass by the league to administer dirty hits after he avoided any supplementary discipline from the league for the brutal hit on Gubberson. You're seeing more and more guys being emboldened these days and my fear is somebody is going to get seriously injured.
It's a step more than that, the league punished Gubberson for making Cousins answer the bell for it when the stripes wouldn't.
If they don’t want to take care of themselves then why should I care?

For what possible reason do guys like McDavid, Bedard, Matthews, Pettersson, Eichel, Kucherov etc., the guys who put asses in the seats with their talent and make the most money, not pressure the union they finance to get with it or find people who will?

It all boils down to that for me and until that day comes I’ll just assume they’re all fine with barbarity and cheap shots and ignore when they whine to the media about the league not taking tougher stances.
Kucherov won't do it because he's a dirty fucker himself. The rest also know that if someone took a shot at any of them, the league would punish accordingly. You have to believe that if Cousins put an elbow in the back of Bedard's head like he did Zucker, he'd be in the NHL offices before he could get his skates off.

I agree it would be great if the union would step up but IMO it's more the middle third that have to speak. Not just the superstars.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that, assuming Bjornfot gets claimed, the only asset either team has left from the Jake Muzzin trade is Carl Grundstrom (LA does still have a 2nd rounder from trading Durzi but...).

/Of course Dubas could've just traded Sandin for Muzzin straight up and would've gotten the two best players in the deal while saving a 1st and Grundstrom but...