• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would get offered Leafs club level tickets all the time and turn them down. Only so many days I could be bothered to deal with getting downtown and back on a work night.

I've probably gone to more Canucks games the past two seasons than I did Leaf games the last 5 years I was in TO. Games are way easier to drive to/from.
I used to go to 3-4 Capitals games a year. Weeknights became just about impossible with traffic between Baltimore and DC. I think its been 5 or 6 years since we went to any at this point. I think I'd go more if it was closer, not sure. Not going to find out because its not happening.

Last time I went was frustrating because they quietly imposed a parking fee at the metro station. For years parking was free, then it wasn't. And because it was quietly done, and you needed to pay inside - there was a traffic nightmare of people backing up because they could not leave the parking lot.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Capitals, they're getting taken to the woodshed by the Senators worse than Gym Jordan in the House votes :D

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to go to 3-4 Capitals games a year. Weeknights became just about impossible with traffic between Baltimore and DC. I think its been 5 or 6 years since we went to any at this point. I think I'd go more if it was closer, not sure. Not going to find out because its not happening.

Last time I went was frustrating because they quietly imposed a parking fee at the metro station. For years parking was free, then it wasn't. And because it was quietly done, and you needed to pay inside - there was a traffic nightmare of people backing up because they could not leave the parking lot.
I didn't know that they charged for metro lot parking now. That is super shitty.

Whenever I got Caps tickets I would leave by 2pm to ensure I got there and wouldn't get home until 1 am. Was much easier when they were in Landover.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know that they charged for metro lot parking now. That is super shitty.
A lot of urbanists get pissy when train stations don't charge for parking because "they should take other transit to get to transit". It's a big issue with Toronto's commuter rail network.

It's the ultimate "perfect being the enemy of the good" - being pissed about commuters driving 5 minutes to the closest train station to avoid 1+ hours of single-person driving each way. Shows that a lot of people don't actually want more transit use or cleaner air, they just want to punish people who live in the suburbs.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Capitals, they're getting taken to the woodshed by the Senators worse than Gym Jordan in the House votes :D
What is even happening there right now? And they want to add Garland to this?

Also, Ovie no shots for 2 straight games for the first time in his career. Doesn't seem to care much whether he wins another Cup or not, which, fine, but if the team around him winds up so bad they can't even set him up for goal opportunities he needs to pass Gretzky does he eventually ask out?

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of urbanists get pissy when train stations don't charge for parking because "they should take other transit to get to transit". It's a big issue with Toronto's commuter rail network.

It's the ultimate "perfect being the enemy of the good" - being pissed about commuters driving 5 minutes to the closest train station to avoid 1+ hours of single-person driving each way. Shows that a lot of people don't actually want more transit use or cleaner air, they just want to punish people who live in the suburbs.
The station I am talking about has very little actual housing near it (at least it didn't before I left) and anyone within five miles probably rides a bike because it's faster than driving because surface streets are always totally jammed. It's the first station off 95 on 495 and is the main "entry point" to the DC metro for anyone to the NE including pretty much ALL of Baltimore and it's suburbs. Driving directly there from my house took an hour and if I was to take light rail and busses to get there would take me probably 3-4.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The station I am talking about has very little actual housing near it (at least it didn't before I left) and anyone within five miles probably rides a bike because it's faster than driving because surface streets are always totally jammed. It's the first station off 95 on 495 and is the main "entry point" to the DC metro for anyone to the NE including pretty much ALL of Baltimore and it's suburbs. Driving directly there from my house took an hour and if I was to take light rail and busses to get there would take me probably 3-4.
Yeah I would pretty much never do that. ACC was a 45 minute trip from my doorstep when I lived in the burbs by car to station and train. When I lived in the city I was right next to a subway stop so that was again never more than 30 minutes.

Anything beyond that, I have a TV.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I would pretty much never do that. ACC was a 45 minute trip from my doorstep when I lived in the burbs by car to station and train. When I lived in the city I was right next to a subway stop so that was again never more than 30 minutes.

Anything beyond that, I have a TV.
Travel time to Philly's arena was about the same except that when you arrived, you're in Philly. That's why I went to DC more.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travel time to Philly's arena was about the same except that when you arrived, you're in Philly. That's why I went to DC more.
What's wrong with Philly?

paulie_rocky_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First shot on goal in the Coilers Flyers game was saved. I lost that bet.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Currently leading the Calder race in terms of goals per game.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a real darn in the fact I was really looking forward to seeing Torts put out a Staal/Ristolainen d pairing.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of what really bugged me was the not announcing the change better. After the game, metro station at arena, train ride - you want to get in your car and go home. What happened was the parking lot gates did not open for many people, because they did not know they had to pay. That led to a nightmare because people were behind them so it was hard to back up. It was about an hour nightmare to completely get away. It probably would not be now, but it kind of messed up the night.

The cost doesn't really bother me, but with two of us the cost of two metro tickets and parking is probably getting close to the cost of driving and parking there. Of course I'd get lost in DC on the way home.
Its still pretty much in the middle of nowhere. In a good way, easy to get to but nothing around it.
For me too, I might actually be able to get to Philly a bit faster. Not trying to play up the stereotype, but the game experience in DC is so much better and friendlier than the times I went to Philly. lol its been 20 years since I went to an NFL game there but I actually think the Philly NFL crowd was nicer then the Philly hockey crowd.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of what really bugged me was the not announcing the change better. After the game, metro station at arena, train ride - you want to get in your car and go home. What happened was the parking lot gates did not open for many people, because they did not know they had to pay. That led to a nightmare because people were behind them so it was hard to back up. It was about an hour nightmare to completely get away. It probably would not be now, but it kind of messed up the night.
Oh even better lol. No warning when they enter? Ticket machine?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a real darn in the fact I was really looking forward to seeing Torts put out a Myers/Ristolainen d pairing.
dont the flyers have all that unused LTIR space for Ryan Ellis ??? Reunite the Sabres d tandem!!!!

They could use a long neck bud!

1697820756950.png

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh even better lol. No warning when they enter? Ticket machine?
There are probably signs and ticket machines. But this station has a bazillion signs upon entering for everything from speed limit to securing valuables to where to park certain vehicles. And inside the station there are pay stations for metro tickets, for bike storage, vending machines for drinks and snacks, newspapers and places to mail packages. And all of that is on top of the gauntlet of aggressive homeless people looking for change and random religious crackpots trying to talk to you.

I can see people who are not used to having to pay missing it if it suddenly shows up.