• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about get better refs and the coaches will stop cussing them out?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
i had to look up who #45 was -
Alexandre Carrier. Time to hang 'em up

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preds just don't know how to use him.
Could be, but he has looked lost out there a lot over the last couple of years.

Most everyone on the team seems to be struggling to play the new "fast" way Brunette wants. I was hoping guys like Forsberg and Josi might see an improvement over last year with a new emphasis on pushing the play. So far, its been a trainwreck. Those 2 in particular are playing tentatively and not surprisingly, have no offensive stats to show. Even some of the younger guys who should have seen an improvement are totally ineffective (Tomasino, Evangelista). The only forwards who have seemed to "get" the new system are (of all people) Sissons, Paarsinen and Novak. The rest of the forwards are guys who would never be confused with "fast" players (Trenin, Smith, Sherwood, etc) and frankly speak to the inability of the front office to find guys who can play the system they want. Instead we picked up O'Reilly and Nyquist :noidea:

Sorry, got of on a tangent. My initial comment was only a tease at the trope "you have to be 30+ to play for the Pens".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let’s not lose every insider tweeting every 5 minutes “one GM is talking to another GM on the floor. See if anything happens” only for nothing to happen.

They’ll probably do more dealing from their war rooms. Also the NHL draft is kinda boring anyway. Shake it up.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this ones getting alot of attention but last night there were only 10378 in San Jose and 12598 in Buffalo. Shouldn't mention Phillys bad attendance last night since it was an early start time and there was Phillies baseball going on and Mexico/Germany soccer friendly but I saw Gritty rappelling from the rafters pregame to a sparse crowd. Caps ended there 588 game home sell out streak earlier in the week.

Gary Bettman and the NHL are really spreading the FEVER of NHL action although seems more like they are spreading covid :noidea:

Remind me how/where the League gets their "attendance" numbers from??

Is it tickets sold? Butts in the seats? Something else?

No matter how they say they come up with the data, the Nashville attendance numbers are, ummmm, suspect. For example, the announced attendance last night v EDM was 17,216 with a capacity of 17,113.

I can guarantee there were thousands of empty seats both from the eye test at the arena, and, looking on the TM site a few hours before the game where they were at least 1,000 (but way more) unsold seats. Not resales, team sales.

This is true of most every game I have been to over the past 3 years, especially weeknights. Saturday is a good crowd, but the typical Tuesday or Thursday night there are always people relocating down to the prime seats.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No matter how they say they come up with the data, the Nashville attendance numbers are, ummmm, suspect. For example, the announced attendance last night v EDM was 17,216 with a capacity of 17,113.

I can guarantee there were thousands of empty seats both from the eye test at the arena, and, looking on the TM site a few hours before the game where they were at least 1,000 (but way more) unsold seats. Not resales, team sales.

This is true of most every game I have been to over the past 3 years, especially weeknights. Saturday is a good crowd, but the typical Tuesday or Thursday night there are always people relocating down to the prime seats.

The Penguins bullshit sellout streak was just that. Utter bullshit. I would sit in that arena and they would announce a crowd of 500 people over capacity, yet I would look around and see thousands of empty seats every game.

/sorry I forgot to answer the question. I do believe it is people who come thru the turnstiles, actual people in seats but that may have changed.

Last edited:

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reminded me of this

Also it’s nice to see Mike Babcock got a new job checking players phones.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Penguins bullshit sellout streak was just that. Utter bullshit. I would sit in that arena and they would announce a crowd of 500 people over capacity, yet I would look around and see thousands of empty seats every game.

/sorry I forgot to answer the question. I do believe it is people who come thru the turnstiles, actual people in seats but that may have changed.
I thought it was tickets sold but its probably a fluid calculation now ... whatever makes things look better for the nhl which makes things even worse when ya think about it ... was gonna work on a Gary Bettman Iraqi information minister mashup photoshop but fuck it !

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was tickets sold but its probably a fluid calculation now ... whatever makes things look better for the nhl which makes things even worse when ya think about it ... was gonna work on a Gary Bettman Iraqi information minister mashup photoshop but fuck it !
Baghdad is currently outside the top 15 of nhl international series locations my sources tell me.

/but hey, so is Quebec City

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman with a bit of a bomb here regarding how the NHL is kinda terrified about the growth of MLS and F1 in North America, with context around why some media guys were a little caught off guard when they didn't get any time with Bedard in Toronto:

Over the summer, several players, agents, executives, league officials, you name it, indicated they were concerned about increasing MLS attention and what it means for the NHL. (And, as F1 arrived in Vegas, I heard similar worries about its North American expansion, too.) F1’s growth is fuelled by the excellent Drive to Survive, which prominently pushes personality, and MLS got a massive bump with Lionel Messi’s earth-shaking arrival.

During the 2019 Toronto-Golden State NBA Final, co-workers were amazed at how star-after-star-to-the-podium created hours of programming even on non-game-days. Bedard deserves a ton of credit for what he accepted; Sportsnet staffers who dealt with him the last few days said he had an excellent attitude toward it all.

I hope others in hockey look at it his way: “The best way I can ease his burden is by saying, ‘Okay, I’m next,’ or, ‘Okay, someone from our team is next.’”

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman with a bit of a bomb here regarding how the NHL is kinda terrified about the growth of MLS and F1 in North America, with context around why some media guys were a little caught off guard when they didn't get any time with Bedard in Toronto:

Over the summer, several players, agents, executives, league officials, you name it, indicated they were concerned about increasing MLS attention and what it means for the NHL. (And, as F1 arrived in Vegas, I heard similar worries about its North American expansion, too.) F1’s growth is fuelled by the excellent Drive to Survive, which prominently pushes personality, and MLS got a massive bump with Lionel Messi’s earth-shaking arrival.

During the 2019 Toronto-Golden State NBA Final, co-workers were amazed at how star-after-star-to-the-podium created hours of programming even on non-game-days. Bedard deserves a ton of credit for what he accepted; Sportsnet staffers who dealt with him the last few days said he had an excellent attitude toward it all.

I hope others in hockey look at it his way: “The best way I can ease his burden is by saying, ‘Okay, I’m next,’ or, ‘Okay, someone from our team is next.’”
The reality show lovers that flocked to F1 because of Drive to Survive have all started chasing another shiny object and as fast as F1 rose in the US, it appear to be cooling off. Worldwide actually. The attendance for the Qatar race for the WHOLE WEEKEND was less than an average single MLB game. TV Viewership is dropping off too, especially since Dutchy wrapped it all up and pretty much everyone but the people from Dutchland hate his guts. I expect Vegas to be a disaster. The track is terrible, fans can't afford to go and it's on at a time when all of the USA is asleep. F1 also annoyed loyal fans to try and attract a new audience and that audience has left already. Now they are struggling to get loyal fans back.

I hope this is the lesson that the NHL learns from and not "INFLUENCERS ALL DAY LONG EQUALS MONEYS" and produces some sort of faked Netflix documentary. I have loved F1 since the early 80's and I can't watch Drive to Survive. It's utter shit and 89% made up. Only people who know little to nothing at all about F1 would say it is anything besides shit. Like Fridge apparently.

NHL should leave it to the teams. Blue Jackets do an excellent "Behind the Battle" series which fans seem to love. They also used to do "carpool with the captain" with Nick Foligno where he would drive around town with different players and interviewing them. I wouldn't mind getting to know other teams' players like that. Doing a "one size fits all" series wouldn't work because what entertains Kings fans is not the same as what would entertain Bruins fans.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL has always done a terrible job marketing the game and its stars* but right now how much can be blamed on the NHL or its marketing vs. the overall economy? My wife and my incomes have us firmly in the middle class** but even with some cost of living raises I have a good deal less spending money now than I did 10 years ago.

I dont think its just the NHL. The Chargers game looked less than full to me. My friend has Raven's season tickets and he used to go to all and I used to go to about half, but we are only confirmed to be going to one game this year. He's selling the rest. And when we do go, the crowd around is not the same old people so I assume others are selling some of their game tickets too.

I guess it might be interesting to see how mid week NBA games are attended in a month or so.

*Rooming With Roenick was the exception

**Until I sell the script I am working on, Lars And The Real Girl 2: Bianca's Back . Then its the big time, baby!

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the attendance thing - maybe its just some of the fans just aren’t as into the current nhl as they used to be.

I got offered club level seats to the Stars at Ducks tomorrow night and I turned them down. Not because I couldn’t go but I just didn’t want to. I’d rather wait in line at a Krispy Kreme in Surrey to be quite honest.

/that and the fact I only go when I can watch from a suite these days

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the attendance thing - maybe its just some of the fans just aren’t as into the current nhl as they used to be.

I got offered club level seats to the Stars at Ducks tomorrow night and I turned them down. Not because I couldn’t go but I just didn’t want to. I’d rather wait in line at a Krispy Kreme in Surrey to be quite honest.

Of course, they would probably have Krispy Kreme doughnuts available in the suite :D

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
old school NHL fans moved on to MAGA rallys

I dont think its just the NHL. The Chargers game looked less than full to me.
It was well attended ... just everyone was in the stadium concourse fighting each other (on soapy floor it looked like :noidea: )

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this is the lesson that the NHL learns from and not "INFLUENCERS ALL DAY LONG EQUALS MONEYS" and produces some sort of faked Netflix documentary.
Didn't they do this already with the "Road to the Winter Classic" shows?

carlyle-toaster.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would get offered Leafs club level tickets all the time and turn them down. Only so many days I could be bothered to deal with getting downtown and back on a work night.

I've probably gone to more Canucks games the past two seasons than I did Leaf games the last 5 years I was in TO. Games are way easier to drive to/from.