• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One game does not a career make, but, ...

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish Dak could have started his career against Cleveland. :suds:

The Giants' defense may be improved from last year (that remains to be seen), but they had one of the worst defenses in the league last year.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 wasn't given a robust playbook like Wentz though. They had to dumb the whole thing down for RG3 to be able to do what he did in his first year.

Agree & again I am not comparing any of these guys to RG3 or his situation. My pt is that you have to be careful not to judge QBs on one week (whether they did good or bad). Wentz may be fine but let's wait until at least the tail end of this season before coming to any real conclusions.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just weird because sure the Skins ran some option stuff his rookie year sure, but he was great in the pocket. Would look guys off, take 3rd options, threw both sides of the field. I mean Vick in Atlanta you could see the limitations for years in the play calls and reads.

Well I don't recall all of the specifics of the 1st year, but if that was true then he pretty much forgot all of that by his 2nd season. He didn't know how to use the pocket, zeroed in on 1 receiver, held onto the ball too long & ran too much (while possibly losing a step). His inability to use the pocket & not release the ball quickly led to many more sacks then warranted by the O-line at that time (not that they were great but they were not as awful as it appeared).

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants' defense may be improved from last year (that remains to be seen), but they had one of the worst defenses in the league last year.

I can tell you that their pass rush, which was missing last year, is back. At least was for the first game. May not show up on the stat sheets, but they stuffed the run and had pressure all day.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't recall all of the specifics of the 1st year, but if that was true then he pretty much forgot all of that by his 2nd season. He didn't know how to use the pocket, zeroed in on 1 receiver, held onto the ball too long & ran too much (while possibly losing a step). His inability to use the pocket & not release the ball quickly led to many more sacks then warranted by the O-line at that time (not that they were great but they were not as awful as it appeared).

Yeah he really went bad in a hurry. It makes no sense to me either, as it was a LOT more than him just losing athleticism or being "found out" They were playing and throwing aggressively with him. Now it seems that the occasional deep ball is all he can make.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he really went bad in a hurry. It makes no sense to me either, as it was a LOT more than him just losing athleticism or being "found out" They were playing and throwing aggressively with him. Now it seems that the occasional deep ball is all he can make.

Shanahan ruined him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy tiger, some of us aren't taken the one game approach, and yes against the Browns.....
Time will tell, I think all the young QB's gave good showing, but now it comes down to seeing how they handle defenses from here on out, there is tape on them all now and defenses will adjust....

Well, game 2 is against the toothless Bears. Nice start to the schedule for Wentz.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It seems like he has never learned how to read a defense. He either runs or holds the ball too long. He was never properly coached up IMO, and allowing him to play somewhat in his college style the first year was only setting him up for failure ultimately, as they were never going to stick with that offense. He doesn't have the body type to take that many hits either.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what you saw of Wentz yesterday, hypothetically speaking, if he continues to look this good, did the Eagles make a good trade? I am hoping it continues. If it does, I would consider it a steal.
he looked poised and played well.
You should be giddy after week one

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good games from the rookie QB's. Reasons for optimism.

RG3 couldn't start for most Div I college football teams. Only the Browns are dumb enough to sign and start him. They may be the worst franchise in professional sports.
shocking....skins fan dumping on 3 and pronouncing Cleveland worst on all the land after one game

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... it IS Cleveland. And he gets another layup next week against the Bears lol.

I didn't watch the game but just looking at his stats he did a good job. Long way to go though. Regardless, if you hit on a QB the trade is always worth it. If you miss it's obviously a HUGE blunder considering the ammo the Rams/Eagles gave up. Ideally you draft someone late (like Dak) and that turns into a hit.

Still, if Wentz becomes a franchise guy then obviously the trade was worth it. If he busts or doesn't make it the Hoop will be ridiculing Eagles fans for years. I think there's even a mandatory shut down of the team board for like 3 months at some point.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yah but it's the Browns lol.

They get like an auto Madden rating speed/tackle adjust for just having to wear the poopy Brown uniforms.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan ruined him.
This narrative always makes me laugh. As if Griffin bears no responsibility for his behavior or play.

On a separate note. Classic presser moment...:rolleyes2:

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think people focus way too much on the opponent. i'm looking at the way a QB handles the line, audibles, stands in the pocket and makes adjustments. i want to see crisp throws, accuracy, strong decision making and presence.

wentz showed it in his limited pre-season action and all game long in his first start. he's obviously going to have his struggles.. but his talent, tools and overall IQ is way too much for him to bust. when you're reading a defense, while zipping and floating perfect passes around, it doesn't matter who the opponent is.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This narrative always makes me laugh. As if Griffin bears no responsibility for his behavior or play.

He looked amazing his rookie season. Shanahan didn't protect him. He's sucked ever since. Sure, Griffin bears responsibility but a veteran coach should know when to sit an injured young QB that looks like he could be something special. Didn't happen and now we'll never know how Griffin's career would have played out if he had been given the appropriate time to recover from his injury.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually he wasn't that bad, I mean dropped balls were every where, he did airmail one that had 4.5 hang time that rookie came down with, ( of course the 3 defenders around the rookie made sure he was the only one to catch it) He did get stripped, but again the OL protection wasn't that good at times...