• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One game does not a career make, but, ...

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what you saw of Wentz yesterday, hypothetically speaking, if he continues to look this good, did the Eagles make a good trade? I am hoping it continues. If it does, I would consider it a steal.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
It was an overall great weekend for QBs getting their first start. Evaluations should be held in check though until they have played 3 or 4 games and teams get a book on how to defend them. Props though do go to Siemian, Dak, Wentz and Garoppolo

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that you have to temper your optimism of these young QBs until you see them do more. But I think all the teams you mentioned have to be feeling better today.

Meanwhile, if you are Cleveland...did you miss on another franchise QB? Poll in Cleveland this morning after losing to Wentz....

:lol:

Did the Browns make a mistake by not drafting Carson Wentz?

Yes. He should've been the Browns' starter Sunday. 50.54% (4,146 votes)

You can’t judge him based on a game against the Browns. 23.24% (1,907 votes)

No. The Browns would’ve ruined him. 16.72% (1,372 votes)

Yes. He could’ve learned behind RG3 this year. 5.96% (489 votes)

No. The Browns were right to pass on him. 3.53% (290 votes)

Total Votes: 8,204

What do you think of Carson Wentz now? Did the Browns make a mistake? (poll)

Robert Griffin III outplayed by Carson Wentz as Browns lose 29-10 to Eagles

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was an overall great weekend for QBs getting their first start. Evaluations should be held in check though until they have played 3 or 4 games and teams get a book on how to defend them. Props though do go to Siemian, Dak, Wentz and Garoppolo

I get that there isn't NFL game tape on these guys but they all played multiple years in college. Defensive coordinators should have some idea as to what their weaknesses are. I didn't think Siemian looked that great, though. And Dak was asked to do too much in his first NFL start. The Eagles and Patriots called good games to play toward the strengths of Wentz and Garoppolo and to keep them out of tough situations.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I get that there isn't NFL game tape on these guys but they all played multiple years in college. Defensive coordinators should have some idea as to what their weaknesses are. I didn't think Siemian looked that great, though. And Dak was asked to do too much in his first NFL start. The Eagles and Patriots called good games to play toward the strengths of Wentz and Garoppolo and to keep them out of tough situations.
You can't compare college games to pro games as far as prepping for a new QB. If DCs based their game plans on college tapes they would get destroyed. I thought the 4 QBs mentioned showed good poise overall and their fans have reason for optimism. It should be tempered until they see more games though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't compare college games to pro games as far as prepping for a new QB. If DCs based their game plans on college tapes they would get destroyed. I thought the 4 QBs mentioned showed good poise overall and their fans have reason for optimism. It should be tempered until they see more games though.

True, but Knowyourenemy is right on the game planning though. I can certainly agree on the NE game because I saw that one...they keep good balance all night...when he was in obviously passing situations, for the most part he made pretty good decisions....but they got a little lucky to get the win.

I thought Dak played a solid game.

CLE...should they have taken Wentz? Obviously if you put a poll up now, but the Browns have basically gutted the proven OFC and DEF players they had....I'm going to say he would've struggled as much or more than RG3 who I'm convinced now will never learn to avoid hits.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but Knowyourenemy is right on the game planning though. I can certainly agree on the NE game because I saw that one...they keep good balance all night...when he was in obviously passing situations, for the most part he made pretty good decisions....but they got a little lucky to get the win.

I thought Dak played a solid game.

CLE...should they have taken Wentz? Obviously if you put a poll up now, but the Browns have basically gutted the proven OFC and DEF players they had....I'm going to say he would've struggled as much or more than RG3 who I'm convinced now will never learn to avoid hits.

Not only taking unnecessary hits but also correcting his other flaws. He still appears to stay in the pocket too long, not see the field well & make some poor decisions. Time will tell, but it is not looking good at this pt.

RG3 is a good cautionary tale for folks who are getting too excited about their QBs at this pt. This is a guy who had an entire good season & failed miserably after that. You certainly can't go crazy about any QB after just one game. I am not saying that any of these guys are going to go the RG3 route. However - you can't judge anyone - good or bad - based on one game. Just enjoy each game as it happens.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only taking unnecessary hits but also correcting his other flaws. He still appears to stay in the pocket too long, not see the field well & make some poor decisions. Time will tell, but it is not looking good at this pt.

RG3 is a good cautionary tale for folks who are getting too excited about their QBs at this pt. This is a guy who had an entire good season & failed miserably after that. You certainly can't go crazy about any QB after just one game. I am not saying that any of these guys are going to go the RG3 route. However - you can't judge anyone - good or bad - based on one game. Just enjoy each game as it happens.

That applies to every QB on some level, but based on his history and what he really needed to improve on, I get it...he's supposedly having an MRI today...my main point, if he can't stay on the field, the other flaws certainly won't get fixed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That applies to every QB on some level, but based on his history and what he really needed to improve on, I get it...he's supposedly having an MRI today...my main point, if he can't stay on the field, the other flaws certainly won't get fixed.

Yep. I guess that his biggest problem is not sliding or running out of bounds correctly to avoid unnecessary hits. However - one of the other flaws mentioned - holding on to the ball too long - also leads to unnecessary sacks & hits. He just never really appears to be comfortable in the pocket or understand the related fundamentals - much more so than just about any QB who showed potential to do very well.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously can't believe the Browns let RGIII back into the game down 29-10, he was dragging his left arm down and was clearly hurt.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I guess that his biggest problem is not sliding or running out of bounds correctly to avoid unnecessary hits. However - one of the other flaws mentioned - holding on to the ball too long - also leads to unnecessary sacks & hits. He just never really appears to be comfortable in the pocket or understand the related fundamentals - much more so than just about any QB who showed potential to do very well.

Chicken or the egg I guess...huh.

Slow to process what he sees downfield definitely contribute to holding the ball longer and that does leads to more hits...I didn't see the game to evaluate pocket presence, etc. only the highlights and the play he took the big hit on...it could've been avoided.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish Dak could have started his career against Cleveland. :suds:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy tiger, some of us aren't taken the one game approach, and yes against the Browns.....
Time will tell, I think all the young QB's gave good showing, but now it comes down to seeing how they handle defenses from here on out, there is tape on them all now and defenses will adjust....

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was a great weekend for QB's in general. 1 QB so far in week 1 had more than 1 pick (last year 10 did). Avg QB rating this week was 93.5 and really RGIII was the only QB to have a really bad game (last year it was guys like Flacco, Peyton, Bortles, Luck...).

As for Wentz.. it's a very nice start, but not exactly against top competition. Remember RGIII destroyed NO in his very first game 4 years ago. But yeah, it's a very nice start for him.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Eagles could play the Browns every week Wentz will end up in the HOF.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good games from the rookie QB's. Reasons for optimism.

RG3 couldn't start for most Div I college football teams. Only the Browns are dumb enough to sign and start him. They may be the worst franchise in professional sports.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RG3 wasn't given a robust playbook like Wentz though. They had to dumb the whole thing down for RG3 to be able to do what he did in his first year.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sure does help to make the jump. Soon Wentz will be doing it against some NFLers.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 wasn't given a robust playbook like Wentz though. They had to dumb the whole thing down for RG3 to be able to do what he did in his first year.

It's just weird because sure the Skins ran some option stuff his rookie year sure, but he was great in the pocket. Would look guys off, take 3rd options, threw both sides of the field. I mean Vick in Atlanta you could see the limitations for years in the play calls and reads.