• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ok, so I went a little trade crazy... follow the bouncing ball!!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very confident that with Snead's comments about be satisfied with the WR corps and commiting to Sam Bradford as the QB, that Fisher will end up relenting and you will see either Matthews or Robinson in a Rams uniform in 2013 and that either HaHa Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor will also be in a Rams uniform in 2013

BTW, for all the folks who are saying " Are we just gonna pay Chris Long 11.5 million and let Quinn walk?" Try this on for size:

#1 - The team has a CLUB option to keep Quinn on his current contract until the end of the 2015 season. In that time, other deals can be restructured and players released to set up a long term deal.
#2 - Long is only due $10 in 2015. And HE is the kind of player who will restructure, as he has done before, if the team takes another step forward this year like we expect they will.
#3 - Let's assume for the fun of it that we keep Kendall Langford in 2014 and THEN let him go after the season. Based on him and others we could EASILY let go at the end of the 2014 season, we would plenty enough room to more than double Quinn's current salary, or at least to franchise him while we work out a long term deal, without having to sacrifice his running buddy on the other end of the line. (Barksdale,Cudjo,Kendricks,Pead,Langford = 10.5 million off the books.)
#4 - There is also the chance that Bradford under performs in 2014 and they cut him loose after the season. That money right there simply goes to Quinn. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

The sky is NOT falling here people. Snead and Fisher know what they are doing...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: Finally, the board GM speaks the truth! I was getting impatient and was going to post something similar. Thanks, KSUDodger, the voice of reason!!!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[BTW, for all the folks who are saying " Are we just gonna pay Chris Long 11.5 million and let Quinn walk?" Try this on for size:

#1 - The team has a CLUB option to keep Quinn on his current contract until the end of the 2015 season. In that time, other deals can be restructured and players released to set up a long term deal.

got a link to back that up???

Are you sure about that Mr GM??? This article states Robert Quinn is an unrestricted free agent(UFA) at the end of this year 2014. And trust me.....he wants to get paid!! The only thing that we can do if we cant work out a deal is franchise him.

Dont take my word for it, please read......

Robert Quinn Salary Cap, Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & News Profile

#2 - Long is only due $10 in 2015. And HE is the kind of player who will restructure, as he has done before, if the team takes another step forward this year like we expect they will.

I think you meant to say $10 mill. He is due $10,500,000 to be exact and he only counts 3 mill in dead $$. So if you ask me, he will probably be subject to being a CAP casualty at the end of this year kind of like we are doing with finnegan. Not that I want to see him go, its just how they do business in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition, the original deal he signed in 2011 is a FIVE YEAR deal... which means he is UNDER CONTRACT in 2015 unless the Rams decline the option. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015... he will be a free agent AFTER the 2015 season..

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition, the original deal he signed in 2011 is a FIVE YEAR deal... which means he is UNDER CONTRACT in 2015 unless the Rams decline the option. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015... he will be a free agent AFTER the 2015 season..

hmmm...pretty funny that the majority of what I am finding on Quinn shows original deal being a 4 year deal. But I did find one that states he has a 5th year option. and it is as follows.....

The Rams will need to decide whether or not pick up his fifth-year option, which will be an average of the No. 3 – No. 25 contracts at the defensive end position. Given how well Quinn has played for them, Wagner believes this is an easy decision to make and I would have to agree. It’s worth noting that picking up Quinn’s option will require St. Louis to guarantee the fifth-year of his contract, but once again, it’s still an easy decision to make. As for the type of money Quinn could net in his next contract, Wagner mentions that Quinn could surpass the recent contract handed out t...
blue_bullet.gif

They should have done this with Long.

So what does this mean? If he has another good year (2014) he WILL be the highest paid Ram in 2015! You can pretty much say good by to Chris Long !! So yah....back to where this conversation originally started this would lead me to think we could draft Clowney. :nod: LOL

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess what my math loving friend, if you take the average of #3 to #25 in salary for 2015 at DE (regardless of 3-4 or 4-3) it comes out to 7.86 million. I would bet my entire monthly salary that the Rams pick that up about 30 seconds after they are able to.

And in case you are wondering where I got my numbers from, they came from the place I got the info on Quinn's deal. Here is a list of the players between #3 and #25
Jared Allen,Trent Cole,Chris Long,Michael Johnson,Haloti Ngata,Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett,Cameron Wake,Carlos Dunlap,Chris Clemons,Red Bryant,Camerion Wimberly,Cliff Avril,Justin Tuck,Jason Babin,Brian Robison,Dion Jordan,Michael Bennett,Ziggy Ansah,Tyson Jackson,Justin Smith.. and just in case you were wondering, Mario Williams,Julius Peppers and Charles Johnson were 1,2,3...
Clowney is, and will be, more of a liability than a benefit to the Rams. We will get a MAJOR haul from someone like Atlanta who wants and needs him....Plus, knowing now that the most it will cost to keep Quinn in the fold in 2015 is 7.86 million while they work out a long term deal...there is ZERO reason to draft Clowney with that #2 pick. We have MUCH bigger needs than adding a DE. both now AND in the future...

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke there are an equal amount of people forecasting he will be a bust. Great you found people who are drinking the cool aid.
Oh and how did he do this year? He had what, 3 sacks? Sounds like the next Reggie White to me....

Yah, he was still #6 runner up for the heisman trophy even though he missed 2 games and had a crappy year. It must mean something. The guy gets injured/sick and everyone thinks he's no good because he sat out? BS....

Well, If you watched or followed South Carolina this past year(2013), you would have known that he played with illnesses and minor injuries and a bone spur in his right foot all year. He was diagnosed with gastroenteritis at seasons opener. Because of this, he only recorded 3 tackles. Everyone wanted to throw him under the bus then. He missed 2 games with injuries.(ribs and bone spur) Because of this everyone wants to critisize or condem him in general. As a matter of fact the prior year (2012)Clowney wasn't 100 percent for much of this season either. He sprained his right foot in the fifth game against Kentucky, and it nagged him the rest of the season. He sat out the next-to-last game against Wofford and then came back and torched Clemson for 4.5 sacks in the regular-season finale. he had a high ankle sprain all season and still recorded 13 sacks.

Here's what his coach had to say mid season last year.

Carroll said he did not believe Clowney would quit on his team.
"That kid would never hold himself out because of the pros or who he's going to play," Carroll said. "If he's capable of playing, he'll play. Even though he has the Superman persona, he's subject to injury. He chose the University of South Carolina, and those people need to rally behind him when he's injured. He's got another six or eight weeks of college football and I hope he goes out with a bang."
Spurrier indicated he was not going to rush his star.
"I'm all for Jadeveon and his future," Spurrier said. "When he is ready to play we're going to put him out there. He has been coming to treatment, I think, twice a day and told me he is doing everything he can to try to get ready to play."

Zeke, no one is denying he has ability but whether that translates to the NFL is another story. We've seen seen so many players get this type of hype and flop in the NFL - See Aaron Curry. Remember him? I'm not saying he's going to follow in the same footsteps but ODDS are Clowney wont be going to the Hall of Fame. If we needed a DE I would be all about signing him but right now we don't and you have to remember there will be other players(DE's) in next years draft or the one after that.
Also think about it this way. We got Robert Quinn at #15 in the draft. Was anyone saying he was the next big thing coming out? Nope, I know he had the brain injury but no one was really singing his praise THE WAY THEY ARE WITH CLOWNEY. Sorry, I wanted to emphasize that. :gaah:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess what my math loving friend, if you take the average of #3 to #25 in salary for 2015 at DE (regardless of 3-4 or 4-3) it comes out to 7.86 million. I would bet my entire monthly salary that the Rams pick that up about 30 seconds after they are able to.

And in case you are wondering where I got my numbers from, they came from the place I got the info on Quinn's deal. Here is a list of the players between #3 and #25
Jared Allen,Trent Cole,Chris Long,Michael Johnson,Haloti Ngata,Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett,Cameron Wake,Carlos Dunlap,Chris Clemons,Red Bryant,Camerion Wimberly,Cliff Avril,Justin Tuck,Jason Babin,Brian Robison,Dion Jordan,Michael Bennett,Ziggy Ansah,Tyson Jackson,Justin Smith.. and just in case you were wondering, Mario Williams,Julius Peppers and Charles Johnson were 1,2,3...
Clowney is, and will be, more of a liability than a benefit to the Rams. We will get a MAJOR haul from someone like Atlanta who wants and needs him....Plus, knowing now that the most it will cost to keep Quinn in the fold in 2015 is 7.86 million while they work out a long term deal...there is ZERO reason to draft Clowney with that #2 pick. We have MUCH bigger needs than adding a DE. both now AND in the future...

clapping.gif

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke, no one is denying he has ability but whether that translates to the NFL is another story. We've seen seen so many players get this type of hype and flop in the NFL - See Aaron Curry. Remember him? I'm not saying he's going to follow in the same footsteps but ODDS are Clowney wont be going to the Hall of Fame. If we needed a DE I would be all about signing him but right now we don't and you have to remember there will be other players(DE's) in next years draft or the one after that.
Also think about it this way. We got Robert Quinn at #15 in the draft. Was anyone saying he was the next big thing coming out? Nope, I know he had the brain injury but no one was really singing his praise THE WAY THEY ARE WITH CLOWNEY. Sorry, I wanted to emphasize that. :gaah:

Come on Jacob

The only reason we got Quinn at 15 is because he sat out an entire year.

Everyone knows if he would've played, he would've gone in the top 5. The Rams lucked out because he sat out and dropped because of it.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so yah.... I am wondering where you got your #'s from considering that Jarod Allen, Micheal Johnson, Justin Tuck, Micheal Bennett and Tyson Jackson are all Unresricted Free agents right now.....LOL .....come on man

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brother Zeke, my salary numbers were based on 2013. #4 was 12.2 and #25 was 4.55. Obviously we know the numbers will essentially be close to the same at the end of next season...
You are dealing in semantics to try and force your point.
First you try to disprove my "he is under a team option for 2015" by bringing up that the Rams would need pay him the average of #3 to #25 among DE's. I give you numbers and you say "well so and so and this guy are free agents"

Well here, I will disprove you further. If you take the 2014 salaries of those under contract, the average of #3 to #22 is EVEN LESS... it is only 4.95 million dollars. Now assume each of the guys above get increases (even though Allen's salary will probably go down), the number goes to approximately 5.26 million. Your theory simply does not hold water. BTW, #3 thru #22 were listed as follows: Charles Johnson,Clemons,Avril,Rubin,Wimberly,Babin,Wake,Dockett,Campbell,Carriker,Bryant,Francois,Bowen,Kiawanuka,Robison,Hughes,Redding,McDonald,Devito,Pierre-Paul,Justin Smith and Biermann.

At the end of the day, the Rams need AT LEAST one safety like Earl Thomas out of this draft and we need a franchise OT... and the only place to find those 2 pieces are in the first 2 rounds. Clowney is going to be a very good NFL player but he not someone the Rams need NOW or down the road. I would be willing to be Chris Long redoes his deal to make sure Quinn stays...just a gut feeling.
You are in the minority here in wanting Clowney, just accept it.

But you are still my brother in Ramdom!!!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, this whole theory is moot. We won't even be drafting at #2. I would be willing to put lunch on it. I think we end up at #6 after TWO trades down, but at worst I think we end up there after just one (forgetting about Cleveland)

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brother Zeke, my salary numbers were based on 2013. #4 was 12.2 and #25 was 4.55. Obviously we know the numbers will essentially be close to the same at the end of next season...
You are dealing in semantics to try and force your point.
This is the internet my friend, there are many reports on many things and they do contradict. I found at least 4 articles that state Quinn will be a free agent in 2014. I posted 1 above ^^ there are more!

First you try to disprove my "he is under a team option for 2015" by bringing up that the Rams would need pay him the average of #3 to #25 among DE's. I give you numbers and you say "well so and so and this guy are free agents"

With Quinn, were not going to average salaries until 2015. You cant say they will be the same as they were in 2013. These 5 guys are looking for new deals and they are good enough to get paid well. I'll bet you they will sign for more than what they got paid in 2013. Salaries go up every year not down.

Well here, I will disprove you further. If you take the 2014 salaries of those under contract, the average of #3 to #22 is EVEN LESS... it is only 4.95 million dollars. Now assume each of the guys above get increases (even though Allen's salary will probably go down), the number goes to approximately 5.26 million. Your theory simply does not hold water. BTW, #3 thru #22 were listed as follows: Charles Johnson,Clemons,Avril,Rubin,Wimberly,Babin,Wake,Dockett,Campbell,Carriker,Bryant,Francois,Bowen,Kiawanuka,Robison,Hughes,Redding,McDonald,Devito,Pierre-Paul,Justin Smith and Biermann.

Let me get this straight...you said in 2013 the average salary for d-lineman (from3-25) was $7.86 mill and in 2014 its only $4.95 mill? Is this what I'm reading?? .....I will say it again, COME ON MAN!! I don't think you are disproving me !!

At the end of the day, the Rams need AT LEAST one safety like Earl Thomas out of this draft and we need a franchise OT... and the only place to find those 2 pieces are in the first 2 rounds. Clowney is going to be a very good NFL player but he not someone the Rams need NOW or down the road. I would be willing to be Chris Long redoes his deal to make sure Quinn stays...just a gut feeling.
You are in the minority here in wanting Clowney, just accept it.

I am not saying I want Clowney first and foremost. I am thinking and said many times on here that Atlanta will trade with us, because he is who they really need. So does Oakland. I just believe that Clowney is getting a raw deal with people saying that he takes play off. But if Atlanta doesn't trade, I wouldn't complain if Clowney came to this team, and I in agreement with Angel that something needs to be done at the end of this season with Quinn. That's all.

But you are still my brother in Ramdom!!!

Whether you realize it or not I agree with the majority of your posts/ideas. I know we need a secondary and o-line help and a #1wr. Its all good.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, this whole theory is moot. We won't even be drafting at #2. I would be willing to put lunch on it. I think we end up at #6 after TWO trades down, but at worst I think we end up there after just one (forgetting about Cleveland)

that's one thing I guess we can agree on, Atlanta is drooling over Clowney. But they better be willing to give up the farm for him.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed, I think Atlanta will be wanting Clowney and will trade up to get him. I dunno if we'll miss out on Watkins but I'd be willing to trade down again and pick up Dix and possibly a CB. Not sure if these other WR's are worth taking in the 1st. Maybe Evans.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Jacob

The only reason we got Quinn at 15 is because he sat out an entire year.

Everyone knows if he would've played, he would've gone in the top 5. The Rams lucked out because he sat out and dropped because of it.

So it's safe to say that Clowney should go around 15th right? with only 3 sacks this year its almost like he didn't play...... :yahoo:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last rumor I read was Atlanta was ready to give us #6, a 2nd and 3rd in 2014 AND a #1 next year to move up.... I am all for that.

I also think we will trade down from #13. Dallas wants a CB badly. I can see them sending us a 3rd to move up to #13 and we can still get Dix or Pryor at #17.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight...you said in 2013 the average salary for d-lineman (from3-25) was $7.86 mill and in 2014 its only $4.95 mill? Is this what I'm reading?? .....I will say it again, COME ON MAN!! I don't think you are disproving me !!

Yup, most of the guys who are UFA right now DE wise are at the higher end of the spectrum... take them out, the average salary goes down. Thats all... no big deal.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed, I think Atlanta will be wanting Clowney and will trade up to get him. I dunno if we'll miss out on Watkins but I'd be willing to trade down again and pick up Dix and possibly a CB. Not sure if these other WR's are worth taking in the 1st. Maybe Evans.

As much as I like Evans, I think WR is something we can look at in the 3-5 rounds if they decide not to draft Watkins (which they shouldn't). I really like Watkins teammate Martavis Bryant in say round 4. Look him up.

I think we end up with 2 firsts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds... and I think the first six picks (in order) will be OT,S,OG,OLB,WR,CB