• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ok, so I went a little trade crazy... follow the bouncing ball!!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it ALR, you REALLY want Clowney. My biggest problem with Clowney is that he has proven to me already that he will be one of those players who will take his money and run. He has a history of taking plays off and having a crappy attitude. And NOW he is claiming that college athletes should be paid. I am not debating his talent, WHEN HE PLAYS HARD. There is no denying that. I also agree with you that he will be on the field 10-15 snaps a game, if not more if he was here. However, Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson will be on the field 50-60 snaps a game EVERY game AND will be protecting the guy who needs to prove himself or else... MAGIC... we have 15 million to pay Quinn next year! I just think going OT with that single digit pick will be a better value for the team. Like I said, we can draft some depth for the D-line later in the draft. We also NEED a Safety not just now, but for the next 10 years...and we need that more than a DE that will share snaps

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angel
If you look at this link, Chris Long is under contract through 2016. Link shows in 2015 Chris Long would only count $3,000,000 in dead money. That's a fairly low #. So if his play declines this year he could very well be cut this time next year. Finnegan will get cut shortly and his # is $6,000,000 in dead money. This year Chris Long is scheduled to make $14,900,000. He's 2nd highest paid on the team besides you know who. There aint no way on gods green earth either one of them are worth it. So I'm thinking if for some reason we do draft Clowney, they are comtemplating him replacing Long next year.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angel
If you look at this link, Chris Long is under contract through 2016. Link shows in 2015 Chris Long would only count $3,000,000 in dead money. That's a fairly low #. So if his play declines this year he could very well be cut this time next year. Finnegan will get cut shortly and his # is $6,000,000 in dead money. This year Chris Long is scheduled to make $14,900,000. He's 2nd highest paid on the team besides you know who. There aint no way on gods green earth either one of them are worth it. So I'm thinking if for some reason we do draft Clowney, they are comtemplating him replacing Long next year.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Chris

That's what I've been saying Zeke.

They can't afford to keep Long and his contract past this season. Therefore, why not draft the guy that will replace him in Clowney.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it ALR, you REALLY want Clowney. My biggest problem with Clowney is that he has proven to me already that he will be one of those players who will take his money and run. He has a history of taking plays off and having a crappy attitude. And NOW he is claiming that college athletes should be paid. I am not debating his talent, WHEN HE PLAYS HARD. There is no denying that. I also agree with you that he will be on the field 10-15 snaps a game, if not more if he was here. However, Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson will be on the field 50-60 snaps a game EVERY game AND will be protecting the guy who needs to prove himself or else... MAGIC... we have 15 million to pay Quinn next year! I just think going OT with that single digit pick will be a better value for the team. Like I said, we can draft some depth for the D-line later in the draft. We also NEED a Safety not just now, but for the next 10 years...and we need that more than a DE that will share snaps

KSU

You know that I am in total agreement with you, right? OT and S are our 2 biggest needs. I initially was wanting Matthews and one of the safeties as well.

However, I just don't see Fisher drafting an OT at #2, and for that reason, I am hoping for Clowney over an OLB ( Barr or Mack ) and especially over Watkins.

If I felt Fisher would actually draft an OT, I would be right there with you. I just don't see him doing it. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the team. That, or a trade down.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KSU

You know that I am in total agreement with you, right? OT and S are our 2 biggest needs. I initially was wanting Matthews and one of the safeties as well.

However, I just don't see Fisher drafting an OT at #2, and for that reason, I am hoping for Clowney over an OLB ( Barr or Mack ) and especially over Watkins.

If I felt Fisher would actually draft an OT, I would be right there with you. I just don't see him doing it. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the team. That, or a trade down.

And I am in the same boat as you, I would not be upset if we did not find a trade partner and ended up with the GREAT problem of how to use a beast like Clowney. I think we all believe there will be a trade down, maybe 2 and Fisher will resist the temptation to NOT take an OT and get Matthews or Robinson!!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KSU

And I am in the same boat as you, I would not be upset if we did not find a trade partner and ended up with the GREAT problem of how to use a beast like Clowney. I think we all believe there will be a trade down, maybe 2 and Fisher will resist the temptation to NOT take an OT and get Matthews or Robinson!!

I think that would be a best case scenario.

Do you think Dix/Pryor are worth the #13 pick? Should they look to trade down again with that pick and then get one of those guys ( most likely Pryor if they trade down ). Or, should they take Barr ( who seems to be sliding ) and take a safety in the 2nd?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimate scenario.

Cleveland trades to #2. Texans, Browns and Jags all draft QB and the Rams trade with Atl so they can get Clowney.

Rams draft Matthews/Robinson and have several extra picks.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think they might even trade down from #13 to about #18, especially if Evans is still there cuz the Jets REALLY want a WR bad!!I think we can get Dix or Pryor at #18. Worst case, they are both gone but we get Ed Reynolds from Stanford in the 2nd and maybe look at OLB or CB with the pick at #18.,

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimate scenario.

Cleveland trades to #2. Texans, Browns and Jags all draft QB and the Rams trade with Atl so they can get Clowney.

Rams draft Matthews/Robinson and have several extra picks.

I would be fine with Matthews, but would prefer Watkins. OT can be had later.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for trading down with Cleveland at #4 :whistle: and the three teams above us taking QB's!!! :yahoo:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KSU

Well here's the thing with that.........You're right, Fisher doesn't draft OL in the first round or at least with a high pick in the first round and I don't blame him. But here's the flip side to that coin. We also don't need a DE right now. We have PLENTY of depth at the DE position. So why overload our team with DE's? We aren't cutting Long because we just gave him a contract extension this year, so why even assume or think we even need to draft Clowney?
Also who has said this guy is a "once in a decade Defensive End"? I mean really? Who's said that? I've heard of others say he's quiet possibly a huge potential bust because of his attitude and he takes plays off. Also every time I hear "a once in a decade player" I get nervous about drafting him because more times than not they fail. Whatever reporter that stated that needs to put down the Kool Aid before he gets diabetes.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's the thing with that.........You're right, Fisher doesn't draft OL in the first round or at least with a high pick in the first round and I don't blame him. But here's the flip side to that coin. We also don't need a DE right now. We have PLENTY of depth at the DE position. So why overload our team with DE's? We aren't cutting Long because we just gave him a contract extension this year, so why even assume or think we even need to draft Clowney?
Also who has said this guy is a "once in a decade Defensive End"? I mean really? Who's said that? I've heard of others say he's quiet possibly a huge potential bust because of his attitude and he takes plays off. Also every time I hear "a once in a decade player" I get nervous about drafting him because more times than not they fail. Whatever reporter that stated that needs to put down the Kool Aid before he gets diabetes.

So Jacob......what do you suppose we do next year at this time when Chris Long is due $11,500,000 and Robert Quinn is a free agent?? Due you pay Long and let Quinn walk??

Because we already have Bradford slated to make $16,500,000 and Jake Long at $10,500,000 in 2015.

and Jacob, as far as Clowney, there are many experts claiming he will be a one man wrecking crew in the NFL. please read........I posted these just for YOU !!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2013%2F10%2F19%2Fjadeveon-clowney-shows-off-his-rare-talent%2F&ei=7tsAU7u8K4XayAH4uoCIBA&usg=AFQjCNFJhe7Jw5B9_0Voc8bKcv5cyLTA9A&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nPS_6WnWCR2Z2AHfHCfq7sw&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ELop0UMLPFJmSr7yzzW-XHA&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aWc

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, so back to the original point about the 9ers trading up...

Why would the Texans trade all the way down? I think thats the real question when talking about a potential 9ers - Texans trade (Which is why we're talking about Clowney in the first place)

And the comparison between Rodgers and Clowney is a HUGEEEEEEEE stretch! I've said this before, but GOOD teams can pick a QB in the end of the 1st when they have an aging HOF QB! WE ARE NOT A GOOD TEAM! Our future is picking the top ten, UNLESS we draft players THAT CAN HELP RIGHT NOW! Of course any top 5 player should be able to contribute on any team right away, but it doesn't make our TEAM better. We have much bigger holes, now if we traded Long/Quinn we can have a different conversation. While I know Clowney will be a star in the league, I also feel Watkins will be a star. There is going to be MANY good players in this draft (as there is every league) we can't draft them all, this isn't pokemon.

Off to get off point, but the Packers then and the Rams now are a lot different

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jacob......what do you suppose we do next year at this time when Chris Long is due $11,500,000 and Robert Quinn is a free agent?? Due you pay Long and let Quinn walk??

Because we already have Bradford slated to make $16,500,000 and Jake Long at $10,500,000 in 2015.

and Jacob, as far as Clowney, there are many experts claiming he will be a one man wrecking crew in the NFL. please read........I posted these just for YOU !!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootballtalk.nbcsports.com%2F2013%2F10%2F19%2Fjadeveon-clowney-shows-off-his-rare-talent%2F&ei=7tsAU7u8K4XayAH4uoCIBA&usg=AFQjCNFJhe7Jw5B9_0Voc8bKcv5cyLTA9A&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nPS_6WnWCR2Z2AHfHCfq7sw&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aWc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ELop0UMLPFJmSr7yzzW-XHA&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aWc

Zeke

You can't reason with these guys. They have tunnel vision. They are only looking at this season and not beyond. They aren't taking into account that the Rams either have to release Long to afford Quinn, or keep Long and let Quinn walk.

Instead, they want to take Watkins, who would be the 3rd WR drafted in the top 2 that was 6'1" or shorter. Irving Fryar had a good career, but Johnny 'Lam' Jones didn't.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zeke there are an equal amount of people forecasting he will be a bust. Great you found people who are drinking the cool aid.
Oh and how did he do this year? He had what, 3 sacks? Sounds like the next Reggie White to me....
I'm not here to argue whether or not he's going to be a good player in the NFL because no one really knows. Just like no one really knows who the next Tom Brady is going to be. If they did do you think he would of been taken in the 6th round? Nope.
Anyways, point is Long has never been a top Tier pass-rusher. He's been good to above average. And who's to say if he'll even be around after next year. Maybe we let him go or restructure his contract. And do you think someone like William Hayes could fill Longs shoes? I do. And for much cheaper. There are other options besides Long for our Future. Like next years Draft or possibly picking up a DE later in the draft. And no matter how you feel or how unfair it is there's always always always going to be overpaid players. Every team has to deal with this, not just the Rams.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke

You can't reason with these guys. They have tunnel vision. They are only looking at this season and not beyond. They aren't taking into account that the Rams either have to release Long to afford Quinn, or keep Long and let Quinn walk.

Instead, they want to take Watkins, who would be the 3rd WR drafted in the top 2 that was 6'1" or shorter. Irving Fryar had a good career, but Johnny 'Lam' Jones didn't.

I said nothing about drafting watkins. I just know we aren't drafting a DE with the 2nd pick. I'd even be willing to put money on it.
I do look at beyond but why argue about something we have no control over.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke there are an equal amount of people forecasting he will be a bust. Great you found people who are drinking the cool aid.
Oh and how did he do this year? He had what, 3 sacks? Sounds like the next Reggie White to me....

Yah, he was still #6 runner up for the heisman trophy even though he missed 2 games and had a crappy year. It must mean something. The guy gets injured/sick and everyone thinks he's no good because he sat out? BS....

Well, If you watched or followed South Carolina this past year(2013), you would have known that he played with illnesses and minor injuries and a bone spur in his right foot all year. He was diagnosed with gastroenteritis at seasons opener. Because of this, he only recorded 3 tackles. Everyone wanted to throw him under the bus then. He missed 2 games with injuries.(ribs and bone spur) Because of this everyone wants to critisize or condem him in general. As a matter of fact the prior year (2012)Clowney wasn't 100 percent for much of this season either. He sprained his right foot in the fifth game against Kentucky, and it nagged him the rest of the season. He sat out the next-to-last game against Wofford and then came back and torched Clemson for 4.5 sacks in the regular-season finale. he had a high ankle sprain all season and still recorded 13 sacks.

Here's what his coach had to say mid season last year.

Carroll said he did not believe Clowney would quit on his team.
"That kid would never hold himself out because of the pros or who he's going to play," Carroll said. "If he's capable of playing, he'll play. Even though he has the Superman persona, he's subject to injury. He chose the University of South Carolina, and those people need to rally behind him when he's injured. He's got another six or eight weeks of college football and I hope he goes out with a bang."
Spurrier indicated he was not going to rush his star.
"I'm all for Jadeveon and his future," Spurrier said. "When he is ready to play we're going to put him out there. He has been coming to treatment, I think, twice a day and told me he is doing everything he can to try to get ready to play."