• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oh boy... Dana wanted TT, but they say no..

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris may have cited a few kids. This means it happened a whole lot more than what he was told. Most kids won’t report such news.

You can hate all you want... but, it doesn’t change the truth.

No, a few kids are a few kids and who knows for sure what the real reason was anyway? Could have been something totally different but that was used as a reason, keep in mind its HS kids and hanger on’s in their ear.

Its not hate , its fact, the rankings dont lie. I take no joy in Dana being a poor recruiter at all.

For the sake of argument then where are the results now? The extension was 2016.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, a few kids are a few kids and who knows for sure what the real reason was anyway? Could have been something totally different but that was used as a reason, keep in mind its HS kids and hanger on’s in their ear.

Its not hate , its fact, the rankings dont lie. I take no joy in Dana being a poor recruiter at all.

For the sake of argument then where are the results now? The extension was 2016.
I guess some think he should get a five year extension after every season......have to be ready with excuses

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well... I guess I should take your take instead of Chris’s.

To be honest, I don’t know what’s going on with this year’s class. We had the coaching staff tell 4 kids to announce their decommitment in the last month..

Our rank is mostly due to having but 15 commits. We’ll see where it finishes...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we look at WVU recruiting the past few years, we seem to do much better on offense than Defense. That leads me to this question.

Does the 3-3-5 hurt our defensive recruiting?

I think it really hurts DL recruiting. The Sills brothers are here because their dad play d here. They would see much better stats for themselves if they played in a 4 man line and did not have to face double teams on every play.
Cornerbacks are hard to get in this system and league. The 3 man line gives QB s lots of time exposing corners for big plays.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why a 3 man front would hurt our recruiting effort.

Bama, UGA, Tennessee... all are lead by Saban and his disciples. All run a 3 man front. All lead in recruiting...

ISU runs a 3 man front. They go 3-3-5 and 3-2-6 in their dime package. ISU had a pretty solid defense this year.

Gibby was a great recruiter as a position coach. Now that he's a coordinator, I don't see the success in recruiting we had in his earlier tenure at WVU.

Unfortunately, not all 3 star kids are going to develop into 5 star like studs during their time in Morgantown. For every David Long... is a Zach Sandwisch. Adam Hensley was a fairly high 3 star LB out of Ohio too. Yet, he gets beat out by a walk-on from Morgantown High School.

Other schools running a 3 man front... Oregon with Jim Leavitt who had great success at USF and as the DC of Colorado. Todd Orlando at Texas runs a 3 man front. Wisky as well.

WVU faced a critical issue at LB this year with the number of injuries. Gibby could not blitz out of different levels due to a true lack of depth and quality of depth at LB as well as our Spur and Bandit. Avery had a bum shoulder. Pitts was lost to injury. We essentially had 3 CB's...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we look at WVU recruiting the past few years, we seem to do much better on offense than Defense. That leads me to this question.

Does the 3-3-5 hurt our defensive recruiting?

I think it really hurts DL recruiting. The Sills brothers are here because their dad play d here. They would see much better stats for themselves if they played in a 4 man line and did not have to face double teams on every play.
Cornerbacks are hard to get in this system and league. The 3 man line gives QB s lots of time exposing corners for big plays.

Its past time for the 3-3-5 to go imo.
BB has mentioned other teams using it in a package/situation ect. And that would prob be ok but as a base and primary defense... personally Ive seen enough.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a 3-4 defense, outside LBs are usually hybrid pass rushers. Sometimes it looks like a 5 man line and the Tackles have to account for the OLBs leaving more 1 on 1 opportunities for the D-line.

Nobody in the NFL uses a 3-3-5 base

How can this help us in recruiting D lineman?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An odd man front is an odd man front.

Exactly why would it matter to a DL recruit whether we call our hybrid a Spur... or a LB?

I really don't think the distinction between the two is as great as you and goldrusher are making it out to be...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL teams are loading up on players like our Spur position.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... it was a disappointing end to the season. Painful to know how close this year’s team was to something truly special.

It still wasn’t 13-9...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly why would it matter to a DL recruit whether we call our hybrid a Spur... or a LB?

I really don't think the distinction between the two is as great as you and goldrusher are making it out to be...
My biggest argument isn't so much the recruiting but that we have to stop OU in order to win this conference and OU runs through this defense like sh*t through a tin horn every year now. At least TRY something else for awhile n see what happens.

If teams start winning championships using the 3-3-5 as their base defense then maybe I'll feel a little better about it but, I don't know of any. IIRC Florida is the only team (Charlie Strong was DC) that used it when the Gators won a NC and that was one of the Meyer teams I believe.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't understand why people are piling on our defense. In case no one noticed, Oklahoma offense ran through every defense, because their offense makes very few mistakes. Our team is known for offense, yet all three losses this year can be pinned on the offense! The iast game our defense played better than they generally do, our offense did nothing!! Okst game, one first down on our possession between their two late TDs, we win. Ou game, secure the ball and take the sack, TWICE, we win. There is not the massive difference in defense in a 335, 34, formation than most think, and imo, the odd line helps the lbs, ....had the offense got that first down against okst, had Grier held the ball against ou, we wouldn't even be discussing the defense.....we would be celebrating a special season and a sugar bowl berth.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree 100%, if the players are in position and flocking to the ball, taking good angles to the ball carrier, they will do alright. Everyone is talking as if there is some huge difference between a 335, and a 344 alignment. In a pass happy league, I think both are equal.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your argument is OU has been having its way against our defense... then I have to laugh.

OU has been having its way against every fucking defense they face.

Give me a break... look at what they did against UGA and all of their high 4 star defenders last year. What was UGA’s defense ranked last year? #4 or 5 when they played in the Rose Bowl?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU has consistently been one of the conference’s best defenses. Gary Patterson is considered a defensive genius.

How has TCU performed against OU the past few years?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBW and DAD in agreement where has this board gone?

I still believe that other coaches recruit against us saying that playing the 3-3-5 will hurt your chances of being drafted in the NFL.

Look at our recent DL stats and tell me the last WVU D lineman have produced double digit sacks in a year?

In the B12, the best way to stop the pass is to get to the QB.