• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always get good vibes from FanFest, can't make it down there this year but I listened in on the radio a bit. Spring is right around the corner boys.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was Harry Potter at first. Hopefully Timmy is back to his pitching wizardry.

LOL, I knew there was a reason that he could pitch like that with his body frame.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, how does Gary Radnich still have a job at KNBR? Hate listening to him, all he wants to do is talk about the same old stories (Brandon Belt and the giraffe, Bumgarner and the cow story) in such an arrogant way.

He just made Bungarner really uncomfortable live during his interview making fun of his cow story.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, how does Gary Radnich still have a job at KNBR? Hate listening to him, all he wants to do is talk about the same old stories (Brandon Belt and the giraffe, Bumgarner and the cow story) in such an arrogant way.

He just made Bungarner really uncomfortable live during his interview making fun of his cow story.

He used to be good, but now he never says anything interesting or funny anymore. I always thought it was because he's trying to be too nice and not piss anyone off, but maybe that's not the case. I haven't heard the interview with Bumgarner.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary's morning show on KNBR is the least interesting and informative show on KNBR

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gary's morning show on KNBR is the least interesting and informative show on KNBR

Gary hates sports media/publicists people. He's a sports anarchist, really, but he won't go all in with the anarchy bit because he needs his corporate sports job.

Tolbert had a good interview with Javy Lopez last afternoon. Kind of a cute story about how the bullpen guys now hate Lincecum because he showed them all up in the playoffs by getting ready to pitch full speed in five pitches - in 30 degree weather to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NBC just now showed Matt Cain's golf swing in slow-mo. Nice swing, but Matty is noticeably thicker around the middle, and thinner in the backside. I'm officially worried now.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not arguable. The Niners gave up less yards (both rushing and passing) and less points than the Ravens in the SB. During the regular season they gave up only 273 points - 71 points less than the Ravens over 4 points a game. Only Seattle gave up fewer points than we did. So if you want to say we didn't have a SB caliber defense no one did - except maybe Seattle - but we still had the 2nd best D this season and it was better than any of our opponents in the playoffs. I agree that the D wasn't playing their best at in the playoffs or towards the end of the season (curiously coinciding with Justin's injury).

And yes that injury exposed our corners (not Brown) that's what I said up there! I agree they need to upgrade at least one CB. No doubt.

They lost the game, and there were plenty of failures to go around. All around. But the D gave up less than the opponent you can't ask for more really, regardless of how/when the other team scores.

Re: Ravens D vs. Niners D -- It IS arguable, depending upon how you define "better." Nonetheless, I don't have a dog in that fight.

Re: The 2013 Niners D -- you're entitled to your opinion, but I would argue that it's not fine grained enough. You have to separate the Niner D prior to the second half in Foxboro and the Niner D after. I'm guessing if you did that (I've no interest in going back to pull out those stats) you'd find that the points and yards given up rose dramatically. That D was, in my opinion, nowhere close to championship caliber. Whether or not any other D in the playoffs was championship caliber I can't say -- I don't follow the NFL that closely.

Final thought: I think you CAN ask the D that was touted as the "best in the league" to give up less than 27 points. I think you can't expect to win many games where the D does give up that number. I think you can ask them to stop more than 45% of the opponents drives. I think you can ask it to sack the QB more than twice. Were there offensive failures? Sure -- but they put up 29 points. They did their job. That should be enough to win most games. The preponderance of the blame for this game lays at the feet of the D. Which is why I say: not a championship D.

Neither was Baltimore's either, IMO. Just a sloppy overall game and ultimately unsatisfying, unless you're a Raven fan.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary hates sports media/publicists people. He's a sports anarchist, really, but he won't go all in with the anarchy bit because he needs his corporate sports job.

Tolbert had a good interview with Javy Lopez last afternoon. Kind of a cute story about how the bullpen guys now hate Lincecum because he showed them all up in the playoffs by getting ready to pitch full speed in five pitches - in 30 degree weather to boot.

I tend to agree. Also, there's a fucking fascination with him and how much money other people (athletes, agents, media personalities) make. It's crass. If I had one major criticism of him it's that. He works ok with Larry, but I wish he'd shut the fuck up about money.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC just now showed Matt Cain's golf swing in slow-mo. Nice swing, but Matty is noticeably thicker around the middle, and thinner in the backside. I'm officially worried now.

Huh. I saw highlights of Panda in the Venezuelan championship series. He looked a LOT like Tubagoo Fielder. As in -- noticeably fatter. I'm officially worried about THAT.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping they slim down once the workout regimen(s) start. I haven't seen Pablo or Cain.

Saw Brandon Belt and Buster at the fanfest. It was a fun time, weather was amazing. Im excited and think this is the year Belt breaks out (fwiw, I also said it last year in spring training)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping they slim down once the workout regimen(s) start. I haven't seen Pablo or Cain.

Saw Brandon Belt and Buster at the fanfest. It was a fun time, weather was amazing. Im excited and think this is the year Belt breaks out (fwiw, I also said it last year in spring training)

Hopefully, this will be the year that Belt really finds that power stroke. I have a feeling that we'll need every bit of that to beat out the Dodgers this year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I knew there was a reason that he could pitch like that with his body frame.

My wife saw an item on FB where Timmy put on about 10 lbs and said in an interview he's ready to come back strong. Of course he is, in a contract year.

We're in a weird position, the better he does this year the more chance we won't be able to afford him...

And the haircut...doesn't that say 'hey Yankees, make me an offer'?
The goofy glasses...those say Greg Maddux to me, or Ricky Vaughn.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Ravens D vs. Niners D -- It IS arguable, depending upon how you define "better." Nonetheless, I don't have a dog in that fight.

Re: The 2013 Niners D -- you're entitled to your opinion, but I would argue that it's not fine grained enough. You have to separate the Niner D prior to the second half in Foxboro and the Niner D after. I'm guessing if you did that (I've no interest in going back to pull out those stats) you'd find that the points and yards given up rose dramatically. That D was, in my opinion, nowhere close to championship caliber. Whether or not any other D in the playoffs was championship caliber I can't say -- I don't follow the NFL that closely.

Final thought: I think you CAN ask the D that was touted as the "best in the league" to give up less than 27 points. I think you can't expect to win many games where the D does give up that number. I think you can ask them to stop more than 45% of the opponents drives. I think you can ask it to sack the QB more than twice. Were there offensive failures? Sure -- but they put up 29 points. They did their job. That should be enough to win most games. The preponderance of the blame for this game lays at the feet of the D. Which is why I say: not a championship D.

Neither was Baltimore's either, IMO. Just a sloppy overall game and ultimately unsatisfying, unless you're a Raven fan.

The NFL league avg in points given up by defense is somewhere around 22-23 points.

The niners gave up 20+ points with vs. Pats, Seahawks, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Baltimore, all top 10 offenses in scoring (49ers 11th)

Is it really that surprising that the niners gave up more points when they faced better offenses? With the offense giving them a short field and short possession of the clock?

Add key injuries and special teams struggling, I still don't see why all the blame should be on the defense. When the team's MO has been to control the ball and grind it out, going 3 and out in key situations is a fail on the offense.

These past two years, it's been the defense that's carried the niners. Don't let two blowouts vs the jets and bills fool you, the niners offense were limited in capability until Kaep was thrown in there.

I'm not trying to burn the offense either but they've had their own issues all year, too and special teams giving up that td never happens (that's the fluke, more than anything)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
051612-mm0060.jpg