• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason 2016-17

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The M's just traded with Baltimore for Yovani Gallardo. His ERA from last year doesn't look good, but his career ERA is good and he won't have to make roughly half his starts at Camden Yards anymore. We gave up Seth Smith to get him. Smith was a consistent, proven hitter when he was in there, but he was only being platooned and the M's needed to bolster the starting rotation, so he became the odd man out.

https://marinersblog.mlblogs.com/ma...llardo-from-baltimore-72336200581b#.qoi9l6vj7

The ability to give us innings and go long into games is important as well... Curious to see how he does in our ball park...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until last season, Gallardo had a rep for being durable and a workhorse with an ERA that was usually somewhere between 3.00 and 4.00. His strikeout to walk ratio was awful last year, but he has otherwise been pretty good in that department. Not 2014 Hisashi Iwakuma good, but pretty good. It's not a "sexy" trade by any means, but if he can stay healthy and have a typical Gallardo season statistically in the process, that's one less spot in the rotation to worry about. After using 11 different starters last year, the more workhorses you can get your hands on, the better off you should be.

Gallardo's K/BB (and WHIP) were both pretty bad in 2015 as well, but his ERA was surprisingly solid (which likely means he was either very lucky or was helped greatly by the Rangers defense).

Considering he's posted a K/BB well under 2.00 and a WHIP over 1.4 each of the past 2 years with his innings/start being 5.6 and 5.1 the past 2 seasons, he's trending in the wrong direction which could be very concerning.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ability to give us innings and go long into games is important as well... Curious to see how he does in our ball park...

The obvious problem with that ability from Gallardo is that it's quickly declining...

2014 - 6.0 innings/start
2015 - 5.6 innings/start
2016 - 5.1 innings/start

This is likely due to his increasing walk rates and decreasing strikeout rates, both trending in the wrong direction the past few years.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karns and Smith for Gallardo and Dyson? Yeah, I don't know. I understand why they wanted to move Smith, but not sure Gallardo was the best return. I can only hope that Baltimore is including several million dollars because right now there is a $6 million difference in the two players salaries for next year if you include the $2 million buyout on Gallardo's 2018 contract option. Dyson's and Karn's salaries are a virtual wash.

Dyson will be a part time player against right handed starters, just like Smith was. Our projected lineup against right handed starters:
Segura SS
Dyson LF
Cano 2B
Cruz DH
Seager 3B
Valencia 1B
Hanigan RF
Zunino C
Martin CF

Theoretically this lineup has more speed. Martin, Segura and Dyson could combine for 80 steals. But, will they let those guys steal much while Cano and Cruz are at bat?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theoretically this lineup has more speed. Martin, Segura and Dyson could combine for 80 steals. But, will they let those guys steal much while Cano and Cruz are at bat?

Great point and one I didn't consider. Speed only works if you let them run.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's just one more round of trades to set things up for july and beyond. i like what he's done so far while managing to build up the obliterated farm he inherited. we'll be able to start putting together much more attractive packages to get what we need with both farm and mlb-level pieces. i expect a lot more wheeling and dealing in july.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's just one more round of trades to set things up for july and beyond. i like what he's done so far while managing to build up the obliterated farm he inherited. we'll be able to start putting together much more attractive packages to get what we need with both farm and mlb-level pieces. i expect a lot more wheeling and dealing in july.

You could be right. Let's just hope this new group makes those July trades happen for the purpose of a playoff chase and not because we are out of it. I would still be more comfortable with another big bullpen arm since a true #3 SP isn't coming any time soon.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Smith was obviously going to be moved for a starter and I guess this was the best we could do. Not a ton of leverage there. I guess Karns has the higher ceiling but Gallardo has the higher floor. The rotation and bullpen are still big concerns for me. Also 1B, C and RF could still be holes in the lineup

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Smith was obviously going to be moved for a starter and I guess this was the best we could do. Not a ton of leverage there. I guess Karns has the higher ceiling but Gallardo has the higher floor. The rotation and bullpen are still big concerns for me. Also 1B, C and RF could still be holes in the lineup
Karns relies heavily on location early in the count so he can set up the hitter for his curve. Last year I didn't get the impression that location was something he could improve on. Maybe if he went somewhere where they had an all-world pitching coach, like Pittsburgh, he might further develop. But, it wasn't going to happen in Seattle. At least, that was my impression. Maybe others saw him differently.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gallardo's healthy and rebounds to pre-2016 levels, it's a pretty decent trade. Problem is, there's little in his 2016 performance to be optimistic in a turnaround (both his FIP and xFIP were north of 5.00, and declining strikeout rates as Stan pointed out).

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god it's nearly impossible to keep up with all of the trades that have been made by the Mariners. One second I see the trade with Atlanta. The next I'm procrastinating on filling out paperwork and I check Facebook and see we landed Smyly. Good pitcher although I'm kind of sad we gave up Smith - the best part of the Atlanta trade.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god it's nearly impossible to keep up with all of the trades that have been made by the Mariners. One second I see the trade with Atlanta. The next I'm procrastinating on filling out paperwork and I check Facebook and see we landed Smyly. Good pitcher although I'm kind of sad we gave up Smith - the best part of the Atlanta trade.

I like the Smyly trade. We REALLY need someone who can fill the 2-3 spot as I feel Gallardo is more of a 3-4 spot guy, but either way gotta find depth/replacement for Iwakuma/Paxton COMBO - those guys are just down/out too often. Only downside with Smyly is he's dealt with some injuries so hopefully it's not Paxton #2 all over again...

Regardless, Seattle had to make some moves for established pitching... we've fixed the lineup BIG time with Segura/Dyson/Ruiz. Finally have some reliable lead off hitters with f'ing speed that Cano/Cruz/Seager can take advantage of.

If we can get another year of production for Cruz/Cano, I think Seattle has the potential to be one of the most potent offensive scoring teams. Hopefully that'll take some pressure off pitching and we can let guys develop a bit more in the minors without having to rush them up.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it all along, and I will say it again. Whether or not all of these moves work, JeDi clearly has a plan and has put it in motion. For the first time in over a decade it's nice to know that the guys in ownership down to the skipper in the clubhouse have the want to win, and ACTUALLY show it by the moves they make during the season and also in the offseason. I can honestly say that I am excited for this team and the direction we are headed!!

Go M's!!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea definitely onboard with Smyly. I was worried that Gallardo would be the only addition to the rotation. Now it will basically hinge on Paxton staying healthy and Felix bouncing back somewhat. Also seems like they have some triple A depth with Heston, Miranda and Whalen. I still have some questions at a few spots but things definitely are looking better today.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here care to take a shot at the 25 man roster?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too was baffled by the Smith trade since we have 5 guys already like him but then understood an hour later when the Smyly deal was announced. I remember Smyly with Detroit and was hoping then we could get him. This deal makes the Dyson/Gallardo deals make sense and I finally like the whole. Could we have added better players? Probably, but he did improve the core. Now we will have to see if it works on the field. Looking forward to seeing some of these new guys play.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here care to take a shot at the 25 man roster?

As of now I'd say

C- Zunino, Ruiz
INF- Vogelbach, Segura, Cano, Seagar
OF- Dyson, Martin, Haniger, Heredia
DH- Cruz
UTL- Valencia, O'Malley

1. Felix
2. Paxton
3. Kuma
4. Smyly
5. Gallardo

Bullpen