• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason 2016-17

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that. I hope he does well down there. It's sad that his body broke down so often when he was here that he never got a chance to live up to the potential we saw from him when he was healthy. He could have been as good as or better than Cammy if he'd been healthy.

Very True. The odd part with the signing though was that he went to the NL. I hope his body holds up and he does well for his sake. He was, and still is, a true Mariner in my book. He always gave everything he had though his body let him down.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a bunch of teams have pitchers and catchers reporting today

they report for the m's on tue, and all players have their first workout next sunday.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guti will probably be not much more than a PH in the NL.

Didn't realize the Bartender was no longer under contract here. He wasn't amazing or anything but solid and a fun guy to have on the team.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the status for Tony Zych? I was really hoping he'd be able to come back and help with an end of the season run last year but had some setbacks.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the status for Tony Zych? I was really hoping he'd be able to come back and help with an end of the season run last year but had some setbacks.

By
Ryan Divish
Seattle Times staff reporter

The Mariners had minimal injury issues this offseason with only two players needing surgical procedures. However, both players, who underwent the surgeries are key to their bullpen for 2017.

Right-handed relievers Steve Cishek and Tony Zych had needed surgical procedures this past offseason to repair some injury issues they dealt with in 2016. The timetable for their return is uncertain, but they will be able to participate in spring training when pitchers and catchers report to Peoria, Arizona on Feb. 14. But their day to day work may be slightly different from other relievers as they recover. Mariners assistant trainer Rob Nodine provided updates on the two relievers’ recovery.

“He just had a follow up with Dr. Thomas Berg in Nashville on Jan. 24 and the doctor is very pleased with his progress to this point,” Nodine said. “He’s been on a very light throwing program to that point that he’ll move forward as we get closer to spring training. He’ll be evaluated by our physicians during our physicals and at that time we’ll determine his progression with his throwing program.”

There is no timetable when Cishek is going to get into Cactus League. But the Mariners aren’t expecting him to be ready for opening day. Cishek is a little behind schedule from what they expected. But the belief is that he’ll be ready before the month of April is over.

Zych underwent a biceps tendon debridement on his right arm on October 11. The surgery was performed by Dr. Stephan O’Brien in New York.

“He’s been rehabbing at home and in Arizona at different times in the offseason,” Nodine said. “He’s currently beginning a throwing program in Arizona. He’ll also be reevaluated during his physical.”

Like Cishek, Zych’s spring training work will be updated daily based on his health. It’s unlikely that he’ll be able to compete for a bullpen spot for the opening day roster. The Mariners won’t rush Zych. He has a power arm that is coveted and he missed most of last season with shoulder issues.

“What he had was an entrapment of his biceps tendon and all the doctor did was go in and debride that tendon and take some of the scar tissues away so that it would move more freely in the bicep groove,” Nodine said. “Reports are good so far. I would think he’s probably close to being ready toward the end of spring training.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Spring Training right around the corner my wife just landed her new canvas bag for the games that I had to share........IMG_6247.JPG

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time we jump in the Cuban market and add to our farm system

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that 18-year-old Cuban left-hander Osvaldo Hernandez has been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball and is now free to sign with any team of his choosing.

The Padres, Reds, Astros, Mets, Braves, Rangers and Red Sox are among the many clubs that have already expressed interest in Hernandez. Due to his age, he is subject to international bonus pools, which restricts some teams (Diamondbacks, Blue Jays, Angels, Rays, Yankees and Red Sox) from signing him until July 2. The young southpaw has a live fastball that has been clocked between 92-94 MPH.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 40m40 minutes ago

Adam Lind has deal with nats, pending physical.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Johns ‏@GregJohnsMLB 1h1 hour ago

Tony Zych is at camp today and said his shoulder feels good coming back from surgery. Is playing catch and soon long-tossing at 120 feet.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariners added,

C4jX8dJUkAA5mrO.jpg

Mike Petriello @mike_petriello
The 2017 outfield with the strongest projected throwing arms: Your Minnesota Twins. http://atmlb.com/2l7eMYe #Statcast pic.twitter.com/3j7aEM76fg

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contenders that will regret not upgrading their weakest positions

9:30 AM PT
  • David SchoenfieldESPN Senior Writer

Seattle Mariners: first base (projected 0.8 WAR, 28th)

Depth chart: Danny Valencia, Dan Vogelbach

Mariners at 1B since 2007 (minus-19.2 WAA): Yuck. This has been the second-worst position in the majors over the past 10 seasons, behind only first base for the Marlins. And a Valencia/Vogelbach platoon is hardly one to inspire confidence.

FanGraphs projects Valencia to hit .261/.314/.426 and he has hit .288/.346/.477 the past two seasons, so maybe he outperforms that projection, especially with the way the ball was flying out of Safeco last season. Vogelbach projects as a potentially solid OBP guy, but his defense and baserunning are off-the-charts bad. Pedro Alvarez is still a free agent, and while he's not exactly Keith Hernandez at first base, his offense would be more of a sure thing than gambling on Vogelbach. Again, for a team with an aging core in win-now mode, the unwillingness to pay a little more may bite them in the end.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contenders that will regret not upgrading their weakest positions

9:30 AM PT
  • David SchoenfieldESPN Senior Writer

Seattle Mariners: first base (projected 0.8 WAR, 28th)

Depth chart: Danny Valencia, Dan Vogelbach

Mariners at 1B since 2007 (minus-19.2 WAA): Yuck. This has been the second-worst position in the majors over the past 10 seasons, behind only first base for the Marlins. And a Valencia/Vogelbach platoon is hardly one to inspire confidence.

FanGraphs projects Valencia to hit .261/.314/.426 and he has hit .288/.346/.477 the past two seasons, so maybe he outperforms that projection, especially with the way the ball was flying out of Safeco last season. Vogelbach projects as a potentially solid OBP guy, but his defense and baserunning are off-the-charts bad. Pedro Alvarez is still a free agent, and while he's not exactly Keith Hernandez at first base, his offense would be more of a sure thing than gambling on Vogelbach. Again, for a team with an aging core in win-now mode, the unwillingness to pay a little more may bite them in the end.
I partially agree with this take on 1B for the M's. The bright side of this duo at first base is it has the potential to be pretty good offensively or good enough. It is also a position that I think can be upgraded via trade if you need to, but we need to see if Vbach can hit first. Regardless I don't think 1B turns out to be a disaster.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I partially agree with this take on 1B for the M's. The bright side of this duo at first base is it has the potential to be pretty good offensively or good enough. It is also a position that I think can be upgraded via trade if you need to, but we need to see if Vbach can hit first. Regardless I don't think 1B turns out to be a disaster.

I agree. I was probably most amazed by the 10 year minus 19.2 WAA. I knew they have been bad, but that is Jose Vidro bad.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that the major leagues is a whole different world, but when I hear that a guy who is literally terrible defensively at first base, I can't help but wonder how he can't simply become not terrible with a little work. The hand eye coordination for these guys must just be bad from the womb, because there really aren't that many finesse skills to learn there. If you've been playing baseball for years, you should be able to put glove on ball. From there it's simple footwork and cutoff drills. I'm no world class athlete but I was an ok first baseman through college. It's just hard to imagine someone being unable to become an average defensive first baseman.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that the major leagues is a whole different world, but when I hear that a guy who is literally terrible defensively at first base, I can't help but wonder how he can't simply become not terrible with a little work. The hand eye coordination for these guys must just be bad from the womb, because there really aren't that many finesse skills to learn there. If you've been playing baseball for years, you should be able to put glove on ball. From there it's simple footwork and cutoff drills. I'm no world class athlete but I was an ok first baseman through college. It's just hard to imagine someone being unable to become an average defensive first baseman.
Agreed, its rare that a guy is so terrible at first base it becomes a liability.