• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Other Olympics Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem I have with the Olympics is all the athletes from other countries who train in the USA. I feel if they want to train here they should take the time to become a permanent resident then a citizen & participate in the Olympics for the USA. If not train in your own country with your country's coaches.

Countries are willing to spend big dollars in order to get top coaches in the hopes of winning medals and that includes looking outside their borders for coaches. Chinese men's curling team was coached by a guy from Edmonton, the Russian bobsled team was coached by Pierre Lueders from Edmonton, Brian Orser is the coach for the Japanese skater who won the Olympic gold in men's figure skating, the list goes on and on.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Countries are willing to spend big dollars in order to get top coaches in the hopes of winning medals and that includes looking outside their borders for coaches. Chinese men's curling team was coached by a guy from Edmonton, the Russian bobsled team was coached by Pierre Lueders from Edmonton, Brian Orser is the coach for the Japanese skater who won the Olympic gold in men's figure skating, the list goes on and on.

Orser also coached the spaniard (didnt he win bronze? :think: )

And that russian woman coached virtue/moir & meryl davis and mop head in ice dance

And i think they were all based out of windsor :noidea:

So basically ... Who cares!

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russia will win the medal standings.....8 of those medals came from athletes born in Korea and the United States. I know we didn't do as well at these game as predicted, but I would rather that than be desperate enough to recruit ex pat ringers to do it for us.

Being born outside of the country doesn't matter to me - but the Victor Anh situation is a bit different. Sure, it sucks to be left off your national team (and based on results, sounds like Korea f&*#ed up there) but that doesn't mean you should just compete for the highest bidder. I think that comes down to personal pride a bit too, though - you don't see Dutch speed skaters doing it and I'm sure there were a number left off the team who had a shot at a medal.

And my wife and I felt terrible for Kripps and the bobsled team. The only other crash I've seen was in 'Cool Runnings'. I guess it's not their first, but I was surprised they could just walk away. Was fearing the worst.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches who train other nations athletes are a different story. They are merely giving advice to these individuals, and its up to them to win or lose with it....Pierre Leuders on the hand is a fucking traitor :dhd:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking that about the countries when I watched Ahn last night and Vic Wild today. Seems like a bunch went to Russia, and I'm assuming that's because Russia was desperate to bag as many athletes as they could in an attempt to win the medal count. And well, it's working.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking that about the countries when I watched Ahn last night and Vic Wild today. Seems like a bunch went to Russia, and I'm assuming that's because Russia was desperate to bag as many athletes as they could in an attempt to win the medal count. And well, it's working.

i wonder what the russians paid them if anything to cross like that. is that legal if they did that?

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They hired everybody that could be bought really. They hired those two Canadian sports advisers that helped us in Vancouver...Really, it's not surprising tactics given Russia's reputation

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else see the story on Jessica-Tatyana Long? Pretty awesome.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
wtf?

@vickihallch: Canada has protested the results of men's ski cross final, citing illegal pants worn by the French

these are the French guys who went 1,2,3 in the race.
something about folding the pants for more aerodynamics.
are there pants rules? if so, why are there pants rules?

anyway, if successful wold move to
1: Canada, 2: Russia 3: Slovakia

/your pantsgate update

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canadian speed skating coach criticized the Polish pursuit team for "tanking" their race against the Dutch yesterday in order to save energy to take the bronze medal against Canada today. I think their time was about 10 seconds faster today than it was yesterday.

Edit: I'm not the smartest guy around, but why not give the bronze medal to the team that had the fastest losing time when you get down to the semi-finals? Sounds like a pretty simple way to avoid these type of shenanigans in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russia closes out the Olympics in style. Sweep the 50k cross country marathon

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Russia, Canada, and Norway as the 1-2-3 for this Olympics in medals (which is the most fair system).

Bravo!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One less medal (25) than what Canada won in Vancouver - When you consider how many 4th place finishes, all in all, a great Games for :canada: in Sochi.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One less medal (25) than what Canada won in Vancouver - When you consider how many 4th place finishes, all in all, a great Games for :canada: in Sochi.

Did they get that illegal pants gold or is yhat ruling still coming

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall medals:
1 Russia
2 US
3 Norway
4 Canada
5 Netherlands

GSB rankings:
1 Russia
2 Norway
3 Canada
4 US
5 Netherlands

Russia had a big Olympics on home soil... didn't expect that. Slightly disappointing for US but really bad showing from Germany. Canada also a bit lower than expectations but I don't think we care right now ;)