• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Olympic hockey thread

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the refs for the mens is better than the womens. I just watched a clear goal by japan against Russia get ignored. the ref behind the net wasn't paying attention. the review booth is calling the refs over and they ignore it. brutal

Wow, you would expect that in figure skating or something where the judgement is subjective, but to ignore a goal?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are IIHF refs, so the answer is likely no, if you don't like NHL officials, you're going to like these refs even less.

are they all IIHF for mens as well Dash? No NHL refs?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are they all IIHF for mens as well Dash? No NHL refs?

Pretty sure, Matty. I think former NHL ref Dan Marouelli hands out disciplinary decisions for the Olympic and other IIHF tourneys though.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure, Matty. I think former NHL ref Dan Marouelli hands out disciplinary decisions for the Olympic and other IIHF tourneys though.

Im going to say it.

Russia will be get some favours... this should be interesting

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Matty, I stand corrected, a google search reveals it's a mishmash of NHL and IIHF refs.

MEN'S TOURNAMENT
Referees Linesmen

Lars Brueggemann GER Derek Amel NHL
Dave Jackson NHL Lonnie Cameron NHL
Antonin Jerabek CZE Chris Carlson CAN
Mike Leggo NHL Ivan Dedioulia BLR
Brad Meier NHL Greg Devorski NHL
Olenin Konstantin RUS Tommy George USA
Tim Peel NHL Brad Kovachik NHL
Daniel Piechaczek GER Andy McElman NHL
Kevin Pollock NHL Andre Schrader GER
Jyri Ronn FIN Sakari Suominen FIN
Vladimir Sindler CZE Miroslav Valach SVK
Kelly Sutherland NHL Mark Wheler NHL
Marcus Vinnerborg SWE Jesse Wilmot CAN
Ian Walsh NHL Christopher Woodworth USA

WOMEN'S TOURNAMENT

Referees Linesmen

Erin Blair USA Therese Bjorkman SWE
Melanie Bordeleau CAN Denise Caughey CAN
Anna Eskola SUI Stephanie Gagnon CAN
Nicole Hertrich GER Charlotte Girard FRA
Aina Hove NOR Alicia Hanrahan USA
Joy Tottman GBR Laura Johnson USA
Michaela Kudelova SVK
Ilona Novotna CZE
Zuzana Svobodova CZE

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Matty, I stand corrected, a google search reveals it's a mishmash of NHL and IIHF refs.

NEWS SINGLEVIEW[backPid]=224&cHash=6ee7a45af1

i feel a bit better. I hold thought on it until I see the lineup of refs for the elimination and medal rounds. or who refs the russian games.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im going to say it.

Russia will be get some favours... this should be interesting

No doubt this will happen. However, I'm pretty confident that Russia won't be medaling. Well, maybe Bronze.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt this will happen. However, I'm pretty confident that Russia won't be medaling. Well, maybe Bronze.

Yeah even with questionable reffing I cant see Russia beating, Canada, Sweden, US or even Finland. I know the KHL players are unknown but this is Russia. They have so many aloof players. it should be really good hockey for the most part.

for the record I dont think Canada will gold in hockey. this team doesn't gel for me with its roster. its strong but having a Hamhuis anywhere near the roster even in the box doesnt make me feel warm. Alot of comments are being made on our goalies. I think Price and Luongo will be fine. Smith worries me to no end. I had this feeling in Torino as well. I hope Im wrong.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pavel Datsyuk is good to go in the Winter Olympics opener for Russia.

The Detroit Red Wings forward, who missed 14 games due to a knee injury before returning for the final two outings entering the NHL's Olympic break, declared himself ready for Thursday's game against Slovenia after taking part in practice this morning in Sochi, Russia.

Datsyuk did not practice with Russia Monday after traveling Sunday.

"Everything is fine," Datsyuk said in an NHL.com story. "My injury doesn't bother me at all. I'm fully [acclimated]. We are all in the same condition."

Red Wings' Pavel Datsyuk ready to play in Olympic opener after practicing with Russian teammates | MLive.com

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pavel Datsyuk is good to go in the Winter Olympics opener for Russia.

The Detroit Red Wings forward, who missed 14 games due to a knee injury before returning for the final two outings entering the NHL's Olympic break, declared himself ready for Thursday's game against Slovenia after taking part in practice this morning in Sochi, Russia.

Datsyuk did not practice with Russia Monday after traveling Sunday.

"Everything is fine," Datsyuk said in an NHL.com story. "My injury doesn't bother me at all. I'm fully [acclimated]. We are all in the same condition."

Red Wings' Pavel Datsyuk ready to play in Olympic opener after practicing with Russian teammates | MLive.com

Good to hear, lookin' forward to seeing him perform in Sochi :suds:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah even with questionable reffing I cant see Russia beating, Canada, Sweden, US or even Finland. I know the KHL players are unknown but this is Russia. They have so many aloof players. it should be really good hockey for the most part.

for the record I dont think Canada will gold in hockey. this team doesn't gel for me with its roster. its strong but having a Hamhuis anywhere near the roster even in the box doesnt make me feel warm. Alot of comments are being made on our goalies. I think Price and Luongo will be fine. Smith worries me to no end. I had this feeling in Torino as well. I hope Im wrong.

I feel the same way about Canada. Clearly the most talented team but those line combinations don't set with me either. Then again, those players are so talented they might make it work. Sweden looks like the most complete team as far as talent, depth, & line configurations go, I think they have to be the favorites in this tournament.

As a side note, I was playing team Austria in NHL 14, I really like that team. Not saying they'll medal, but I could see them turning some heads.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from their tough talk, im startin to think russia will do anything they can to win ... I dont mean play with their hearts on their sleeves ... Im more pointing to mercury poisoning opponents

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way about Canada. Clearly the most talented team but those line combinations don't set with me either. Then again, those players are so talented they might make it work. Sweden looks like the most complete team as far as talent, depth, & line configurations go, I think they have to be the favorites in this tournament.

As a side note, I was playing team Austria in NHL 14, I really like that team. Not saying they'll medal, but I could see them turning some heads.

best part is our coaching, I honestly dont think any team has better coaching than Canada.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from their tough talk, im startin to think russia will do anything they can to win ... I dont mean play with their hearts on their sleeves ... Im more pointing to mercury poisoning opponents

can you imagine if they lose and dont medal

Kovalchuk - picks up phone dials number "Hello New Jersey?"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Toxic paint in the visitors dressing room?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can you imagine if they lose and dont medal

Kovalchuk - picks up phone dials number "Hello New Jersey?"

did you hear Datsyuk talking to Elliot Friedmann ...

Friedman: "what do you have to do different from the last Olympics?"
Datsyuk: "when was last olympics ... 4 years ago? ... you remember it?"
Friedman: "yes"
Datsyuk: "i dont"

i was waiting for datsyuk to pull out the "I must break you"