• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Offseason News and Rumors

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball season is right around the corner.

Basketball season starts at the end of August with the FIBA World Cup.

Once that is complete which should be middle of September then camp opens 2 or 3 weeks after

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't wait for basketball season. Lets Go Bulls.

Do you think Thibs will take the same approach with Rose regarding playing time, that he does with his other starters? Or do you think he limits his minutes/games throughout the season?

I have a feeling the Heat can still make the ECF with the roster as constructed. As constructed (with Rose healthy), I give the Bulls the slight lead in the East.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: Can you imagine what the marketing would have been for that? Boggles the mind. It would have been Magic/Bird times 10.

Not to mention that the Heat fans/Lakers fans war would have gone to about DEFCON 1!!:lol:
FIFY

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, incorrect. Cuban and Gilbert were upset that the deal not only got CP3 to the Lakers, but it would have also gotten the Lakers under the luxury tax threshold. In fact, Gilbert stated that it wasn't fair that the Lakers could improve AND get under the tax threshold. Gilbert has been one of the biggest welfare mom's in the NBA for years and it would have negatively effected his league welfare check.

From a basketball perspective, there was nothing wrong with the deal. In it's essence the deal was, New Orleans was getting an all-star big in Pau Gasol and the Lakers were getting an all-star PG in CP3. In fact, that deal at the time, was far better than the deal that brought Pau to the Lakers in the first place appeared to be at the time it happened. Although, considering the deal got Memphis the rights to Marc Gasol, I'm sure you won't hear them complaining.

The league owned the New Orleans franchise at the time and CP3 was already a bigger name than Pau. Stern then vetoed the deal because of Gilbert and Cuban crying and because losing CP3 would have brought down the value of the New Orleans franchise.

If the league didn't own the New Orleans franchise and/or Cuban and Gilbert don't cry like little girls, CP3 would likely be a Laker today.

are you being serious right now? Please, how can i even have a conversation with someone that is this patently wrong

Pau Gasol was going to Houston in the deal.

the players that were to go to New Orleans were Scola, Dragic and Kevin Martin

INSTEAD of doing that deal and having a punchers chance at the 8th seed and getting their ass kicked

they ended up rebuilding- and having a bad enough record to get Anthony Davis------

the actual players they got were Gordon, Aminu,the 10th pick in the draft, and their own pick became the 4th place in the lotto - which eventually became #1 and Anthony Davis

the rest is history

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you being serious right now? Please, how can i even have a conversation with someone that is this patently wrong

Pau Gasol was going to Houston in the deal.

the players that were to go to New Orleans were Scola, Dragic and Kevin Martin

INSTEAD of doing that deal and having a punchers chance at the 8th seed and getting their ass kicked

they ended up rebuilding- and having a bad enough record to get Anthony Davis------

the actual players they got were Gordon, Aminu,the 10th pick in the draft, and their own pick became the 4th place in the lotto - which eventually became #1 and Anthony Davis

the rest is history

That's a solid trade for all teams involved. Which is the exact purpose of a trade. The players the Hornets would've got were solid, but Dragic wasn't the player he was back then that he is now. So there's no saying that the Hornets were going to make the playoffs anyway. Because as we all know, having the worse record in the league doesn't guarantee that you get the number one pick - ala Cavs for the last 4 years.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the deal that did go down

Chris Kaman, El Aminu, Gordon, what ended up being the 10th pick in the draft- for CP3

instead of getting Odom, Martin, Dragic and Scola------Scola who went on to being amnestied and never had another relevant moment, Odom who's career bombed out in spectacular fashion, Martin who had some solid moments on OKC and now the Twolves are trying to unload his terrible contract- and of course what would have been the best player in the deal- Dragic who has become one of the 10-15 best point guards in the league

instead

the hornets decided to go into rebuilding mode- got the #1 pick in Davis (which isnt a part of the trade- but if they do that trade it is 100% true they never get Davis- --maybe the Cavs win that lottery and get Davis instead of Waiteres ;) ).....Gordon, Aminu, and the 10th pick which became Rivers

this deal made the Hornets have much less money, and ended up with 2 high draft picks which became Davis and Rivers which made the team much easier to sell

and the one part Trojan was right on- was that in that deal the Lakers were actually shedding a ton of money and getting the best player in the deal which really had not ever happened in NBA history and was a major bone of contention for the conglomerate of owners.

but no --- Pau was NEVER going to New Orleans- that was 100 inaccurate by Trojan

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the deal that did go down

Chris Kaman, El Aminu, Gordon, what ended up being the 10th pick in the draft- for CP3

instead of getting Odom, Martin, Dragic and Scola------Scola who went on to being amnestied and never had another relevant moment, Odom who's career bombed out in spectacular fashion, Martin who had some solid moments on OKC and now the Twolves are trying to unload his terrible contract- and of course what would have been the best player in the deal- Dragic who has become one of the 10-15 best point guards in the league

instead

the hornets decided to go into rebuilding mode- got the #1 pick in Davis (which isnt a part of the trade- but if they do that trade it is 100% true they never get Davis- --maybe the Cavs win that lottery and get Davis instead of Waiteres ;) ).....Gordon, Aminu, and the 10th pick which became Rivers

this deal made the Hornets have much less money, and ended up with 2 high draft picks which became Davis and Rivers which made the team much easier to sell

and the one part Trojan was right on- was that in that deal the Lakers were actually shedding a ton of money and getting the best player in the deal which really had not ever happened in NBA history and was a major bone of contention for the conglomerate of owners.

but no --- Pau was NEVER going to New Orleans- that was 100 inaccurate by Trojan

Once again, on paper the trade looked great at the time. However, the Hornets were not going to go to the playoffs anyway with that roster. They may or may not have had the number one pick in the draft, who truly knows? At that point you're simply speculating.

That trade was equal for all intents and purposes. I'm a Heat fan, that trade had nothing to do with my team and even I was pissed at how Stern handled that situation.

You're simply defending your owner who's the near-equivalent of a petulant spoiled child.

Also, I'm too lazy to check. But, Gasol would've went to the Rockets - not the Pelicans (which I'm not sure, trojan was implying). Which further proves that the Lakers were actually giving up quality players in Odom and Gasol in the trade. It's not like they were giving up Farmar and some other scrub to try to get a player like Durant.

Last edited by a moderator:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, on paper the trade looked great at the time. However, the Hornets were not going to go to the playoffs anyway with that roster. They may or may not have had the number one pick in the draft, who truly knows? At that point you're simply speculating.

That trade was equal for all intents and purposes. I'm a Heat fan, that trade had nothing to do with my team and even I was pissed at how Stern handled that situation.

You're simply defending your owner who's the near-equivalent of a petulant spoiled child.

Also, I'm too lazy to check. But, Gasol would've went to the Rockets - not the Pelicans (which I'm not sure, trojan was implying). Which further proves that the Lakers were actually giving up quality players in Odom and Gasol in the trade. It's not like they were giving up Farmar and some other scrub to try to get a player like Durant.

if the Lakers were not greedy and did not try and shed a ton of salary while also getting the best player in the deal the deal is probably never questioned- but when a deal is that uneven- and the other owners are asked to get rid of the team who they are trying to sells best player while also taking ona bunch of money of vets who have had their best days long ago--- beside dragic of course who took about 3 years to become a palyer of consequence and was a lightyl regarded prospect at the time

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- the owners of the other teams - a group of billionaires who have had ridiculous sucess did not think it was fair for one team to get the best player while shedding a ton of money - and knew it would be impossible to sell the Hornets when they had no great player, a ton of expensive mediocre vets and something between the 8th and 12th best team in the conference

c'mon....try and at least have a modicum of honesty

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,644.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers trade was much more beneficial to NO.

Gordon? He sucks. Aminu? A bust.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Lakers were not greedy and did not try and shed a ton of salary while also getting the best player in the deal the deal is probably never questioned- but when a deal is that uneven- and the other owners are asked to get rid of the team who they are trying to sells best player while also taking ona bunch of money of vets who have had their best days long ago--- beside dragic of course who took about 3 years to become a palyer of consequence and was a lightyl regarded prospect at the time

Maybe the Buss family should complain about Cleveland being able to get all these #1 picks as well as signing LeBron, oh yeah, they don't because they're not a bunch of cry babies.

Odom was considered one of the most versatile PF's in the league at the time. He blew up shortly after leaving the Lakers but at that time his best days weren't behind him.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,644.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My. God.

That deal was not uneven at all. Odom and Gasol (the latter being an all-star) were intrical in a team that had been to 3 finals and won twice. They were really good players and the Lakers were actually giving up significant pieces.

Yes, the trade now doesn't look all that great. Odom didn't want to leave LA and the trade shook him. Sure, he should've remained professional, but it is what it is.

At the time, that was a really good trade for all those involved. As the Hornets were going to lose out on CP3 anyway.

I'm also one of those in the belief that the NBA lottery is rigged to a certain degree. The Hornets would've had the number one pick anyway that year.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,644.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO would have gotten Dragic (and he's shown he's very good), Martin (a good scorer) and Scola (a serviceable PF at the time). They would have made the playoffs & somebody woyld have offered to buy the team.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you have any kind of reporting that said he would re-sign with Golden State?

I am honestly interested if there is any- since I'd like to think I pay pretty close attention and have not seen that story.

Sam Amico of FSO who is notoriously conservative in his reporting

Sources: Love may be requesting trade to Cavs | FOX Sports

http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303....go.com/insider/radio/archive?name=mm_podcast

Stephen A. on Mike and Mike as well....

“My sources told me just yesterday, and I don’t know if it is true or not so I don’t have it locked down, but I’m hearing that Kevin Love is basically telling other teams ‘Don’t bother bringing me long term because once my contract is up, if I have to serve this last year in Minnesota, I’m going to Cleveland.’ The man apparently wants to play with LeBron James.”

so like i said- there are numerous credible sources saying that Love intends to use his leverage of where he will sign an extension to get to Cleveland and join LeBron and Kyrie- as this team would obviously give him the best chance at a title.....

If you have information on his willingness to sign elsewhere i would genuinely like to see it as i have not seen it and it would help temper my expectations

When GS initially tried to trade for Love......it was reported that he would sign longterm in Golden State. WHY ELSE do you think they've been trying to land him for the last several months, if they had no guarantees?

I mean really people - can we use some common sense?

Love would like to play with Lebron, no doubt.....but if you're dumb enough to believe that's the ONLY place he'd willingly go there isn't anything I can tell you.

GS isn't giving up that many players and picks with no guarantees my friend. Let's think this through.

Last edited by a moderator:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My. God.

That deal was not uneven at all. Odom and Gasol (the latter being an all-star) were intrical in a team that had been to 3 finals and won twice. They were really good players and the Lakers were actually giving up significant pieces.

Yes, the trade now doesn't look all that great. Odom didn't want to leave LA and the trade shook him. Sure, he should've remained professional, but it is what it is.

At the time, that was a really good trade for all those involved. As the Hornets were going to lose out on CP3 anyway.

I'm also one of those in the belief that the NBA lottery is rigged to a certain degree. The Hornets would've had the number one pick anyway that year.

Shaq was integral to a championship team too until he was done for- Odom was SMOKING CRACK and done for

Scola has not had a relevant moment since then- and stayed with houston until he was amnestied-- and Kevin Martin was no where near what he once was

please- i cant believe this is even a real conversation- people WAY smarter then all of us came to that conclusion - this is not just my opinion- its the opinion of people that run the league.

unreal.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When GS initially tried to trade for Love......it was reported that he would sign longterm in Golden State. WHY ELSE do you think they've been trying to land him for the last several months, if they had no guarantees?

I mean really people - can we use some common sense?

Love would like to play with Lebron, no doubt.....but if you're dumb enough to believe that's the ONLY place he'd willingly go there isn't anything I can tell you.

GS isn't giving up that many players and picks with no guarantees my friend. Let's think this through.

I am just asking if you have any kind of sources or reports that said Love would sign an extension with Golden State because i have not seen it

I have seen it for the Cavs though- multiple reports from credible reporters....