• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BREAKING NEWS:
Dallas (TX) Dallas Cowboys football Practice was delayed 2 hrs today after a player reported finding an unknown white substance on the practice field.

Jerry Jones immediately suspened practice and called the police and FBI.

After a complete analysis FBI experts determined that the white substance unknown to players was the GOAL LINE, practice resumed after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again this season....

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BREAKING NEWS:
Dallas (TX) Dallas Cowboys football Practice was delayed 2 hrs today after a player reported finding an unknown white substance on the practice field.

After a complete analysis FBI experts determined that the white substance unknown to players was the GOAL LINE, practice resumed after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again this season....

How many post seasons has it taken for you Redskins to come up with that? I know you have a whole lot of free time that time of year.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BREAKING NEWS:

That's because, sadly, Danny Coale hasn't played yet

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really a dedicated nfl fan bc the nfl just seems phony to me in a lot of ways compared to college, among other reasons. But to be fair, the point about how the redskins don't make the playoffs isn't really a diss because the cowboys haven't done much of anything recently either. If they ever got a half decent QB, then they'd have a shot to make some noise. But the redskins are on the upswing. RG3 is soon to be a legend.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well this got no attention what-so-ever: BC AD DeFilippo resigned last week.

It kinda tells you how far BC athletics has fallen in the past several years, not that they were news worthy in their best times. Since they're our football cross-divisional "rival" and we play every year, I figured it's somewhat interesting. I'd imagine Frank Spazziani will be gone after the season. Hopefully they can get out of their massive athletic hole.

Gene DeFilippo retiring as Boston College Eagles athletic director - ESPN Boston

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How many post seasons has it taken for you Redskins to come up with that? I know you have a whole lot of free time that time of year.

Enjoy it while you can, because the Redskins fortunes might be about to change with RG III on board.

The positive news from the Cowboys is that with Miles Austin out for the rest of the preseason, Danny Coale might see some opportunities...

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As i said before, I dont get that invested into NFL. But it seems like the Cowboys come off as the Notre Dame of Pro football

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this got no attention what-so-ever: BC AD DeFilippo resigned last week.

It kinda tells you how far BC athletics has fallen in the past several years, not that they were news worthy in their best times. Since they're our football cross-divisional "rival" and we play every year, I figured it's somewhat interesting. I'd imagine Frank Spazziani will be gone after the season. Hopefully they can get out of their massive athletic hole.

Gene DeFilippo retiring as Boston College Eagles athletic director - ESPN Boston

Too bad we can't swap "rivals" with GT (Clemson). We'll never care about BC. When they were good it was acceptable, but only just. It never made any sense. There's no real rivalry with Clemson, either, but I could see it turning into one. The schools share enough in common. BC on the other hand, has nothing in common with VT other than a few years in the Big East that we've put behind us. There was never any real rivalry there, and there never will be.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of a long read about Manning in Denver, but I love reading some of these little anecdotes from players.

Peyton Manning's pursuit of perfection influences Denver Broncos - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Some of the good ones...

Porter spent the past four years in New Orleans, facing a different future Hall of Famer, Drew Brees, in practice every day. He also picked off Manning in Super Bowl XLIV, the play that iced the Saints' title. When practice started this spring, Porter quickly picked off Manning again. A few plays later, Manning burned Porter deep.

As he walked off the field, the defensive back felt a hand on his shoulder. It was the quarterback, who said: "You tell me what I did wrong on that first play and I'll tell you what you did wrong on that next play. That's the only way we're going to get better. Deal?"

Months later, Porter still shakes his head while telling the story. "Dang right, that was a deal," he says. "He wants me to be better so he can be better. And he wants to be better to help me get better. I'll follow a man like that into any game, anywhere, any way."

"We knew what was coming," Adams recalls. "We knew the play. We knew the route. We knew where the ball was going, and we were both there when it got there. What happened next was ... it wasn't human. It was our introduction to Peyton Manning."

As the Wilson-branded pigskin nosed above its would-be thieves, it suddenly went zing, as if equipped with a nitro boost. The ball accelerated through the hands of Adams, over the shoulder of Bailey and thwacked into Decker's gloves as he disappeared downfield. The only person more stunned than the defenders was the receiver himself.

"It's like he started looking at the playbook from an airplane," says receiver Greg Orton.
"We're walking back to the sideline, and I look at Decker and he's just smiling," says Adams. "I look at Champ, and he's smiling too. I said, You ever seen anything like that? He said, 'Nope. We've got some catching up to do.'"

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy it while you can, because the Redskins fortunes might be about to change with RG III on board.

The positive news from the Cowboys is that with Miles Austin out for the rest of the preseason, Danny Coale might see some opportunities...

From what I've read, Coale is really struggling with his route running.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think back, twice we have had a group of freshman receivers come in, be forced into early action and and exceed expectations and go on to good careers:

Royal, Hyman, Morgan, Harper

Coale, Boykin, Roberts

We talk a lot about Gray and Wiles being great position coaches, but maybe we are giving Sherman too little credit.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Sherman's getting it done.

I thought Coale ran very good routes while he was at VT. Maybe he's less comfortable with the Dallas playbook, or maybe his foot is still giving him some trouble, or maybe it's just that the corners are that extra step better than he faced in college, but... I would like to see a quote before I'm really going to believe the Dallas coaching staff doesn't think Coale is running good routes.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could also be the 3 months he missed with a broken foot. He did have one catch for 8 yards though.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so are we gonna stop playing uva on thanksgiving weekend??? and playing it earlier in the year? i remember hearing something about this awhile back, but i didnt know the update... its because uva doesnt bring enough fans for the game, and VT has home field advantage at Lane and Scott right?

that would suck if so. its still a rivalry game, and by that time in the year, there is always a chance for more riding on the game. i.e. the last number of years, there have been chances to be spoilers, berths in the ACCCG on the line, bowl eligibility, etc. wouldnt want to lose that Thanksgiving weekend matchup.

someone fill me in.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We talk a lot about Gray and Wiles being great position coaches, but maybe we are giving Sherman too little credit.

Been saying that for a looooooooooooooooong time. Sherman has built solid groups and to be honest it isnt exactly like he has been handed the most talented or at least highest ranked guys on the field. Im really excited to see what he does with guys like stanford, caleb, and irick.