• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
internet-memes-the-opiate-of-the-masses.jpg

^^^ I'd hit it though

I'd hit it...

with a bat

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know she'd probably be down for some crazy shit though. Could be fun.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck kind of pr0n do you watch. :burt:

Edit: you can say fuck but not p.o.r.n???

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do ya think of Johnny Cash's Hurt, 46? I know you're a NIN fan. I think its one of the most powerful songs ever, especially the music video.

It is good. It is powerful, more powerful than the NIN original.

Sometimes that happens. Robert Plant said that when he heard the Tool version of No Quarter he knew that song was written for them to do. I would say the same for Metallica's version of Am I Evil.

I still say that this song alone, is the most influential song for the era of punk, alternative and progressive rock. The lyrics alone, when put in the context of the time are incredible when you listen to them:

FTW in it's original form:

What the Beatles were to Pop, the Animals were to hard rock and punk, IMO

House of the Rising Sun
Boom Boom Boom
San Francisco Nights
Bury My Body
We gotta get out of this place

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the only problem is Dana Holgerson looks a lot more like Buffalo Bill

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do ya think of Johnny Cash's Hurt, 46? I know you're a NIN fan. I think its one of the most powerful songs ever, especially the music video.

I have always loved the 'Cash' and his version of that song is just pure bad-ass. Good one.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Cash's Hurt is better than NIN IMO. Its coming from a main who knows hurt.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sugar Bowl was on ESPNU last night, i tried to watch...but i was getting too pissed all over again and watch USA vs Mexico instead

i just recently allowed ESPN on my TV again after that embarassing display by the worldwide leader.. if college football got "good" coverage anywhere else, i still wouldn't put it on

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say that this song alone, is the most influential song for the era of punk, alternative and progressive rock. The lyrics alone, when put in the context of the time are incredible when you listen to them:

What the Beatles were to Pop, the Animals were to hard rock and punk, IMO

I concur with your assessment of the lyrics and the power of the lyrics, especially given the pulse of the times.

I do take minor issue with your assessment of them as hard rock and punk though. Not close on either count in my mind.

blues rock, yes
folk rock, definitely
60s rock, of course
psychedelic rock, sometimes, but just for the guitar sound
rhythm and blues, at the time, yes, not so much today

If you meant Hard Rock has roots coming from blues rock and Psychedelic rock, in that I concur wholeheartedly.

Hard rock for me connotes more loud and agressive styles, akin to zep, vh, aerosmith, ACDC. IMO

The band of that era that truly was hard rock, while also being blues rock and psychedelic rock was Steppenwolf.

One of my very favorite genres of music is one I label PROTEST music, which for me includes anti-war songs from the 60s and 70s (and 40s and 50s), as well as social protest songs of the era, and lots of the folk and san francisco stuff as well. Lots of different genres there really, but all delivering a strong lyrical message associated with social change or war.

I have around 1500 songs on my ipod PROTEST playlist alone, all of which I would put on a par with the Animals regarding lyrical content and the power of words.

Another early Engilsh invasion group that had influence on hard rock was the DC5. Even in the early 60s, they were considered too edgy to be called pop. Their hard pounding beat took American rock of the early 60s to another place.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concur with your assessment of the lyrics and the power of the lyrics, especially given the pulse of the times.

I do take minor issue with your assessment of them as hard rock and punk though. Not close on either count in my mind.

blues rock, yes
folk rock, definitely
60s rock, of course
psychedelic rock, sometimes, but just for the guitar sound
rhythm and blues, at the time, yes, not so much today

If you meant Hard Rock has roots coming from blues rock and Psychedelic rock, in that I concur wholeheartedly.

Hard rock for me connotes more loud and agressive styles, akin to zep, vh, aerosmith, ACDC. IMO

The band of that era that truly was hard rock, while also being blues rock and psychedelic rock was Steppenwolf.

One of my very favorite genres of music is one I label PROTEST music, which for me includes anti-war songs from the 60s and 70s (and 40s and 50s), as well as social protest songs of the era, and lots of the folk and san francisco stuff as well. Lots of different genres there really, but all delivering a strong lyrical message associated with social change or war.

I have around 1500 songs on my ipod PROTEST playlist alone, all of which I would put on a par with the Animals regarding lyrical content and the power of words.

Another early Engilsh invasion group that had influence on hard rock was the DC5. Even in the early 60s, they were considered too edgy to be called pop. Their hard pounding beat took American rock of the early 60s to another place.

I don't have time to go to far into this but I completely agree with you on the DC5. I also think that both CCR and the Guess Who are underrated in their influence on the current sound.