• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ all you dieters. Suckers. I can eat whatever I want. High metabolism baby! Yeah...I weigh like a 145 to 150 (fluctuates for some reason) but so what, more cake for me!!! In your face, fatties.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ all you dieters. Suckers. I can eat whatever I want. High metabolism baby! Yeah...I weigh like a 145 to 150 (fluctuates for some reason) but so what, more cake for me!!! In your face, fatties.

You sound short. I'm sure that sucks.

:D

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

heh... I first read "dieters" as "DEET-ters". I was thinking, WTF is a dieter? Is this some new Jersey Shore word that I am not familiar with? Some name given to people who are out of shape at a gym? Are they usually German? WTF?

Then I read the rest. Right. Got it. GD brain.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no doubt you probably look like a 6th grader though.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a tad over 6'. And I could take a 6th grader, 10th grader...eh, I'm resorting to Ric Flair tactics.

53e26ea6bc578fd54f50121c95be646e793dc71a_r.gif

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6' and 150. Hit the gym and the protein bars son.

I used to be able to eat whatever i wanted then the metabolism slowed in college some and added some cushioning but only in the gut and face. Arms and legs stayed pretty fit looking.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound short. I'm sure that sucks.

:D

Just a tad over 6'. And I could take a 6th grader, 10th grader...eh, I'm resorting to Ric Flair tactics.

6' and 150. Hit the gym and the protein bars son.

I used to be able to eat whatever i wanted then the metabolism slowed in college some and added some cushioning but only in the gut and face. Arms and legs stayed pretty fit looking.

wildturkey =

depositphotos_6057853-Very-skinny-guy.jpg

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not concerned about eating 2000 or 1750 calories, thats not too big of a problem. I was worried I wasn't netting enough calories a day to lose weight in a healthy manner.

On a side note, if i can get to 185, i will be rather chiseled so that is some good motivation.

Wow, Finally something i know very much about and everyone is spewing broscience.

Nick try to eat 2000 calories a day and add in at least 3 weight training sessions a week.

Shoot for 200p/150-200c/50-70f (in grams)

Log everything and weigh yourself once a week. Keep sodium levels stable, doesnt matter if high or low.

As far as body composition is concerned it doesnt matter if your carb sources come from high or low GI foods. Eat poptarts if you want. Its calories in vs. calories out. IIFYM.

Do this for 3 weeks and gauge how much weight you have lost. Then Raise or lower calories to compensate. Aim to lose around 1-2 pounds a week. Once weight loss has stalled for a couple weeks, add in 3 cardio sessions a week. Start off with LISS to keep your sanity. If that doesnt work feel free to try HIIT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No "bro science" here. I did my a masters degree in a food science department and my PhD in a school of public health. I have taken a graduate level course or three in metabolic nutrition. It is not as simple as calories in/calories out if you are trying to create a lifestyle. Maybe if you want to crash diet for something but food/calorie composition is important, especially if you are exercising while trying to lose weight (which everyone should, anyways).

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No "bro science" here. I did my a masters degree in a food science department and my PhD in a school of public health. I have taken a graduate level course or three in metabolic nutrition. It is not as simple as calories in/calories out if you are trying to create a lifestyle. Maybe if you want to crash diet for something but food/calorie composition is important, especially if you are exercising while trying to lose weight (which everyone should, anyways).

This is of course, my opinion. IIFYM is the only "broscience" term in the thread. It is a new fad. I get it. It probably works short term, but does it develop health? Does it keep LDL down and HDL up? Does it keep sodium levels where they should be? Does it work for people of all ages? Probably not.... Much like the Atkins diet, it creates skinny heart attacks and diabetics waiting to happen.

The key is creating a generally healthy lifestyle that you can maintain and trying to stick to it most of the time. You can splurge. Just don't do it often.

Sorry, I felt like my post came off as assholeish before, so I wanted to clarify.

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I've spoken with people that got their degree in nutrition or food science at Tech that can't tell me how much of a caloric deficit would be required to burn a pound of fat, or how many calories is in a gram of protein. The only study I have ever seen that says its not necessarily calories in vs calories out was a study done in the 40's that had people eating a surplus for a few weeks, then had them on starvation diets with different macros. Carbs can be just as muscle sparring during a cut as protein. There is no crash dieting required. Please name something wrong with the macros i recommended him.

This is of course, my opinion. IIFYM is the only "broscience" term in the thread. It is a new fad. I get it. It probably works short term, but does it develop health? Does it keep LDL down and HDL up? Does it keep sodium levels where they should be? Does it work for people of all ages? Probably not.... Much like the Atkins diet, it creates skinny heart attacks and diabetics waiting to happen.

The key is creating a generally healthy lifestyle that you can maintain and trying to stick to it most of the time. You can splurge. Just don't do it often.

Sorry, I felt like my post came off as assholeish before, so I wanted to clarify.

And how is IIFYM bro science? Its been the only way to diet forever. IIFYM doesn't mean it junk food all day. It means its okay to eat certain types of foods that will fit into your protein, carb, and fat goals. Does eating mcdonalds everyday fulfill that? of course not..

I think you are confusing IIFYM with "I eat junk food". IIFYM came about because people are always asking "Can I eat ____?" IFFYM is just the best answer. Also fitting foods like a little ice cream, or cereal into your diet can help maintain sanity greatly.

IIFYM.com :: IIFYM - Fad Diet or Real

meet Matt Ogus

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course calories in/calories out is the basic aspect of weight loss. However, it is not maintainable as a lifestyle. I am not saying that you can't eat a little bit of junk food either. However, establishing healthy habits is the only way to create an overall healthy lifestyle that will not only keep your waistline trim, but your arteries, live and kidney is good form as well.

Calorie counting is essential but acting like a po tart is the same as a glass of milk or cup or blueberries is not the right way to do things.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been taken to a level of seriousness and science that was really not needed. Originally I just wanted to make sure I wasn't running too big of a calorie deficit on the days I lift, do cardio, and other things. I do not get into these fad diets or some routine that a guy came up with and stuck his name on. I will eat generally healthy and I am smart enough to know what is good and bad to eat. Not training for a triathlon or body building contest so the routine is not that strict for me. I am tracking p/c/f and making sure i get enough of each to stay healthy.

I do appreciate the help and the offerings and input but I don't want this dragged into a scientific conversation over a guy wanting to lose a little bit of gut.

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A pop tart and a glass of milk have different macros... of course they are different.

How is calories in vs calories out not maintainable? I've been doing it for 3 years.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pop tart and a glass of milk have different macros... of course they are different.

How is calories in vs calories out not maintainable? I've been doing it for 3 years.

I am not saying that it is not maintainable. I am saying that it is not the best way to handle overall health maintenance. Metabolism is not simply fat/carb/protein. That is my point.

Forget it. You go to your sources, and i will go mine. I am coming from a medical perspective.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think (and I could be wrong) all that 46 is trying to say is that eating 2000 calories of donuts a day is not akin to eating 2000 calories of fruits, vegetables, chicken, etc.

The point is that just counting calories alone does not change a lifestyle. Making conscious decisions to eat healthy does. I believe that's all that is meant when we say "maintainable"