• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 July 2 signing David Garcia roped a pitch to right-center on Monday. The switch-hitting catcher was born in 2000 (sorry, y'all) and is fairly athletic, although hardly a burner on the bases. I suspect Garcia will play in the Dominican Summer League or US rookie level this season.

Josh Morgan is catching again. Texas handed the 2014 3rd-rounder the tools of ignorance last spring but decided to forego the experiment beyond March. He instead hovered around second, third and short for the Cal League-champion High Desert Mavericks. This time, he appears headed for real-game action behind the plate, possibly in a multi-purpose role like Isiah Kiner-Falefa. Morgan has hit well enough to advance to AA Frisco but might be held back to ease the defensive transition. On Tuesday, I saw four runners attempt to swipe second base, and to my dismay, not once could Morgan unleash a throw because of a foul, HBP, pickoff, and almost-wild pitch. I have video of the non-throws including a dubbed meow over some objectionable language I used when the batter spoiled a steal attempt. It's safe for work.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Matuella threw off a mound to live batters while the AA and AAA teams played nearby. A potential 1/1 pick entering 2015 despite a back ailment, Matuella underwent Tommy John surgery that April and fell to Texas in the third round. In his only professional appearance to date, Matuella injured his elbow ligament at short-season Spokane. He avoided surgery this time and is working his way toward another assignment.

Oft-injured Sam Wolff tossed two frames for the AAA squad on Tuesday. At first, he couldn't find the handle on his fastball, missing on five straight in the 90-92 range. After a double-play grounder on a nice 83 change, Wolff dealt steady 94-95 heat and concluded his first inning with a swinging strikeout. He also offered a slider and curve. Wolff has thrown only 75 innings the last two years and isn't going to appear on any prospect list, but he's not to be ignored.

Yet another injured rightly made an appearance yesterday, as Jake Lemoine produced two solid innings for the high-A side. Drafted in the 4th round of 2015, Lemoine lacks even Matuella's brief resume because of a shoulder injury. He dealt a low-90s fastball, mid-80s slider and low-80s change. Ideally, he'll make his professional debut in April, but we'll see.

Righty Tyler Ferguson threw two innings for the low-a side on Monday. He began 2015 as one of Vanderbilt's starters and ended as a virtual non-entity because of persistent wildness. Texas drafted Ferguson in the 6th round that summer in the hopes of correcting what ailed him. After a brief, walk-heavy stint with the rookies, Ferguson displayed surprisingly good control in Spokane, where he whiffed 46 and walked just ten in 30 innings. Advanced to Hickory, he unfortunately reverted to shakier form. I saw a little of everything from him. He's, shall we say, not visually appealing, with a stiff throwing motion, release points aplenty and minimal control. At the same time, he's got late-inning stuff in the form of a lively mid-90s heater (that has reached 98, so I've heard but not seen) and a mid-80s slider, so it's easy to see why Texas selected him.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U S A, U S A, U S A

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U S A, U S A, U S A

Whatever.... that tournament seems meaningless to me.

A side note and I know it's not Rangers related, but I was scrolling thru the scores today and it's about all I do in the preseason. I can't believe that Jered Weaver isn't on the Angels anymore. It seems like he's been on that team forever.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A side note and I know it's not Rangers related, but I was scrolling thru the scores today and it's about all I do in the preseason. I can't believe that Jered Weaver isn't on the Angels anymore. It seems like he's been on that team forever.

Your priorities remain out of whack, seek assistance

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Statements like this is why you catch crap from posters on here.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure what you do for a living. But I suspect you missed your calling. Your attitude clearly indicates that you're a motivational speaker in waiting.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This would be a bad idea in my opinion. Too many players vying for at bats could make them all suffer. DeShields should be the odd man out. Until we have an injury DeShields should be playing everyday in AAA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norm had a terrific interview with Joey Gallo this morning.

Gallo seems to have a good grasp on who he is/isn't, plus he's keenly aware of where he is in his baseball life. He's totally prepared to go to AAA, perhaps for all of 2017 if necessary, and all he wants to do is get better.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you do for a living. But I suspect you missed your calling. Your attitude clearly indicates that you're a motivational speaker in waiting.
He has a Dr degree in Troll.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elaborate please?

The fact he's not at all concerned about going to, and perhaps staying at AAA for an extended amount of time is a great sign IMO.

Also, he totally understands the angst he creates with his K rate. But he said he accepts he's always going to be a strikeout prone hitter. However, he also wants to be a good walk man and create a high OB percentage with these free passes.

Better?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact he's not at all concerned about going to, and perhaps staying at AAA for an extended amount of time is a great sign IMO.

Also, he totally understands the angst he creates with his K rate. But he said he accepts he's always going to be a strikeout prone hitter. However, he also wants to be a good walk man and create a high OB percentage with these free passes.

Better?

Easy to talk about.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to talk about.
Talk is cheap, but if it is borne out of a good attitude then that is a very good sign. I always wondered if attitude isn't what killed Blalock's career.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Better?

Thanks. Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders.