• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official NFL draft thread

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was very strange that espn chose to show only "lowlights" after the pick, since it more conventionally shows only highlights! I realize, of course, that the clips shown aren't characteristic of Roby's entire career at tOSU. Hope he turns out to be a great choice.

NFLN did the same thing. Guess the Broncos are not going to be the media darlings this year because the Seachickens put down the blueprint on how to destroy us. :rollseyes:

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had somebody describe him, and I think it fits, as a more aggressive DRC. DRC had all the physical tools you are looking for in a corner but in college relied on those physical skills to get by on. Then came to the pros and tried to do the same and succeeded some but failed a lot too. That is until he came to the Broncos with the promise that they were going to coach him up on his weaknesses. Then DRC goes out and gives us a top-10 Corner performance this past season. I like the chances of the Broncos doing the same with Roby. He has #1 Corner skills he just needs coached up.

The great thing is this season he will only be asked to be a #3 Corner on our team so he doesn't have to be elite day 1 for us.

If even that, Webster is still on the roster and also very talented and being his second year, probably going to take a big leap. CB is supposedly one of the hardest positions to transition to from college to NFL. I see Roby as depth this year with potential later in the season of becoming a starter.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot of upside to the Roby pick.

His measurables are outstanding, size, speed, quick hips, aggressiveness.

He fits in well with the Broncos need to get more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball, and even though ESPN (Every Stupid Person's Network) tried to cast him in a negative light with the clips they showed, he has a nose for the ball and is good against the run and makes plays on the ball.

His negatives are things that can be fixed. He can be coached up, his off field issues are a concern but his DWI (Driving while Impaired, Not DUI) was because he fell asleep in his car outside of a bar. Hey, at least he did not drive.

He was also arrested for getting in a bar fight with a bouncer in Indiana. Having listened to an interview, he sounds like he is remorseful and didn't come off like a knucklehead. Actually sounded somewhat intelligent. Good leadership form a veteran player can ensure he stays focused and out of trouble.

I would like to think the Broncos are the type of organization that does make players better people.

Obviously we will see if he stays out of trouble and if he develops into the player we need him to be. My guess is he will have a real chance to start this year over Kayvonn Webster or Tony Carter. Webster is inconsistent and got burned a lot last year and Carter is not a very good open field tackler.

Possibly move Harris back to the slot if he is healthy, Talib and whoever shines in camp this year. I like how the secondary is potentially shaping up, especially with TJ Ward at Safety. At least we added depth with our first round pick.

Damn, really wish camp was not closed to the public. Those one on one and 7 on 7 drills are my favorite to watch at camp.

The OVI charges will most likely be dropped. The kid blew a .008 (.08 is the limit) and the kid can now afford a good lawyer. The bouncer ordeal was dropped because the video from the bar showed that the bouncer was the one out of line and Roby responded by pushing the guy to try and get him off of him (not hitting him).

These were the big "character" issues that he had and after finding out what the really were, I have no issues at all with him.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If even that, Webster is still on the roster and also very talented and being his second year, probably going to take a big leap. CB is supposedly one of the hardest positions to transition to from college to NFL. I see Roby as depth this year with potential later in the season of becoming a starter.

I'm hoping on this too. Kid definitely showed a nasty side to him early in the year, and even had a couple hits that made me jump out of my chair. I agree that he did fall off in the latter part of the season, and even looked flat out bad in some games, but he has the potential to be a good player.

Roby will just add a young speedster to our secondary, and TBH I think we got really good value for picking #31. He's not afraid to mix it up either.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping on this too. Kid definitely showed a nasty side to him early in the year, and even had a couple hits that made me jump out of my chair. I agree that he did fall off in the latter part of the season, and even looked flat out bad in some games, but he has the potential to be a good player.

Roby will just add a young speedster to our secondary, and TBH I think we got really good value for picking #31. He's not afraid to mix it up either.

Throw in we were horrible on Special Teams this last year and if nothing else Roby is a Special Teams star. So really this move is two-fold in not only adding better depth with possibly a starter at the Corner position but a guy who can make a game-changing play on Special Teams.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep listing WR to the Broncos because we lost Decker yet they seem to forget we replaced him with Sanders. It could also be that D. Thomas, J. Thomas, and Welker all have expiring contracts after this season. I doubt either of the Thomas' get away from us though as the team has already said they are priority to resign after this season. This is why I also don't understand the need for a receiver. I would use a later round pick on a guy if anything as just about anybody left would sit on the bench most of the year anyway barring some kind of injury.

Right now I have to think the next pick has to be some kind of OL player or Inside Linebacker/Coverage Linebacker. I see a lot of names that I still really like left on the board so we shall see what happens with this next pick.

Who is everybody rooting for for the next pick?

For me my short list is...

Kyle Van Noy (no way he makes it to us though)
Morgan Moses (again pipe dream)
Jeremiah Attoachu
Joel Bitonio
Kouandjio (why can't any of these guys have normal names like Smith)
S'ua Filo
Louis Nix III
Timmy Jernigan
Stanly Jean-Baptiste
Keith McGill (wouldn't mind doubling up at Corner as I think we are truly that thin at the position plus McGill can play safety as well)
Marcus Martin (probably favorite inside guy who has a nasty streak about him plus can play all 3 inside positions very well)
Richburg (why not take the home grown kid)
Donte Moncrief (one of the few receivers I would love to see the Broncos look at here in the 2nd)
DeMarcus Lawrence (decent pass rusher)

That would probably be my short list right now. There are a few other names that intrigue me but can't think of them off the top of my head. My guess is at least 3 or 4 of these guys are available at our pick.

I am willing to bet we move up in either the second or third or move back into the third tonight, so anyone is a possibility. The team is betting they will get multiple compensatory picks next year and does not need all of what they are getting and wants to get rid of one or two.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to bet we move up in either the second or third or move back into the third tonight, so anyone is a possibility. The team is betting they will get multiple compensatory picks next year and does not need all of what they are getting and wants to get rid of one or two.

Last I heard the Broncos are expected to get 4 Comp picks in next year's draft. So yes I could see them trading around quite a bit today. Heck I could see them trading some of our picks for next year to move up this year.

Probably the one guy left that I think fills both need and value if say he lasts another 4-5 picks is that of Kyle Van Noy. Isn't a true MLB but has played all over the field and just makes plays. Plus he actually is pretty decent in coverage. MLB is probably the last position that we have a somewhat need for a starter.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if it's any consolation, Pete Prisco really likes the pick, and most everyone else is grading it a B to B+ type of pick. The consensus is saying that Broncos got a steal if he develops technique to match his talent.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, what I'm truly interested in is how the Broncos address their REAL need: improving our ability to move the chains against tough, physical defenses.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if it's any consolation, Pete Prisco really likes the pick, and most everyone else is grading it a B to B+ type of pick. The consensus is saying that Broncos got a steal if he develops technique to match his talent.

Yeah that is the grade I have been seeing too. The only 2 knocks that I keep reading, which they are somewhat a concern, is the inconsistency and the character issues. Now as mentioned above the character issues in my opinion have been blown out of proportion. The kid had a bouncer get aggressive towards him and he responded. Been to many clubs where bouncers are just on high alert all the time and anything can just set them over the top. The sleeping in his car after having a drink thing just seems a bit ridiculous to me. He was being responsible in my opinion on that one not driving home after drinking (not sure you can call blowing a .008 drinking though as I don't think that is even 1 beer's worth of drinking).

Now as for the inconsistencies...Here a few things to keep in mind.

1) Ohio State changed up how they were using him from 2 years ago to this past season. They had him playing a lot more off man hoping his athleticism would help him jump some routes. This lead to him trying to jump some routes where they did double moves beating him over the top. As the season progressed he improved on this and was looking more like his 2 years ago form than the inconsistent player at the beginning of the season.

2) His bad game in Wisconsin is definitely a bad one but from what I understand a big part of the problem was the communication between him and the safeties. He thought on a few of those routes that he had some help over the top so he played more aggressive than he should have. I'm guessing with being a part of an improved secondary a lot of those communication errors will get worked out.

3) The kid relied way too much just on his natural talent. He didn't look like he got coached up hardly at all while in college. I could not see any kind of improvement in technique from year one to year three. Now this begs the question is it just bad coaching or was it that he didn't want to listen to coaches. I'm guessing Elway did his homework on this. Also that kind of reminds me of DRC where the coaches told him they were going to fix his weaknesses to make him a better all-around corner which they did. I like the chances of our coaching staff doing the same with Roby.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, what I'm truly interested in is how the Broncos address their REAL need: improving our ability to move the chains against tough, physical defenses.

I don't see how that's a need. Because of one bad game in the Super Bowl suddenly our offense can't move the ball? Newsflash: a lot of teams struggled to do much of anything against the Seahawks defense. They happen to be really, really good.

But anyway, I think with the return of Clady and Ball stepping up into more of a feature back role the Broncos offense will be just fine.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I heard the Broncos are expected to get 4 Comp picks in next year's draft. So yes I could see them trading around quite a bit today. Heck I could see them trading some of our picks for next year to move up this year.

Probably the one guy left that I think fills both need and value if say he lasts another 4-5 picks is that of Kyle Van Noy. Isn't a true MLB but has played all over the field and just makes plays. Plus he actually is pretty decent in coverage. MLB is probably the last position that we have a somewhat need for a starter.

I disagree that we need a starter this year for MLB, Irving can man it for downs 1 and 2 and started showing vast improvements in coverage over the course of the year and I like the idea of Ward playing the 2nd LB in Nickel coverage at times, but I would love to nab Van Noy, I have always liked him. If they also jumped back into the top of the second and grabbed either Richburg or Yankey, I would declare the draft won and be a happy, content fan with a haul of Roby, Van Noy, and Richburg/Yankey. TBH, I would be good with trading next years first rounder to be able to accomplish just that.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how that's a need. Because of one bad game in the Super Bowl suddenly our offense can't move the ball? Newsflash: a lot of teams struggled to do much of anything against the Seahawks defense. They happen to be really, really good.

But anyway, I think with the return of Clady and Ball stepping up into more of a feature back role the Broncos offense will be just fine.

Since there's a strong possibility we see one of those type of defenses again in the SB (should we make it), coupled with the fact we play the NFC West this season, and I'd say it's definitely an area Denver should improve on. Yeah, Seattle IS really, really good. However, we can't struggle against them and expect to beat them, especially if they're the ones standing in the way of us getting another Lombardi. On the flip side, if we find a way to move the ball against those defenses consistently, then who's going to stop us from winning a championship? (Besides the Broncos stopping themselves.)

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be ok with that or an inside linebacker.

Here's my question: I keep seeing wide receiver listed as a need for the Broncos. Could someone explain to me what I'm missing here because I don't see any way that wide receiver is a need for the Broncos? I have a hard time imagining how a rookie wide receiver could even make this team.

If we lose Either DT, Julius Thomas, or Welker to FA, we coudl use the depth.

This draft has a lot of WR talent. I could see taking a WR in the 3rd or 4th round.

Not my preference, but would not be unhappy.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but why would we use him as such when we have the statistically best Slot CB in the NFL in Harris? Except maybe as a backup.

Simply summarizing what was in the piece. I'll let you experts decide where to play him!

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since there's a strong possibility we see one of those type of defenses again in the SB (should we make it), coupled with the fact we play the NFC West this season, and I'd say it's definitely an area Denver should improve on. Yeah, Seattle IS really, really good. However, we can't struggle against them and expect to beat them, especially if they're the ones standing in the way of us getting another Lombardi. On the flip side, if we find a way to move the ball against those defenses consistently, then who's going to stop us from winning a championship? (Besides the Broncos stopping themselves.)

Meh, it was one game. I think the offense will be fine, especially with the return of Clady

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we lose Either DT, Julius Thomas, or Welker to FA, we coudl use the depth.

This draft has a lot of WR talent. I could see taking a WR in the 3rd or 4th round.

Not my preference, but would not be unhappy.

Welker will probably not be back next year, but I still think we can lose him and be fine. I doubt the Broncos let DT or JT get away. Besides, if we do lose one of those guys, we can always pick up depth next year in the draft.

I guess I just look at last years draft and how none of the rookie receivers we brought in (either in the draft or as rookie free agents) are on the team anymore, and I think we have a similar glut at receiver this year. It just seems like it would be a waste of a pick to me. :noidea: