• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners Spring Training Thread 2018

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This always made more sense than signing Ichiro...

Position competition

Another player quietly putting himself into contention for a roster spot should Ichiro Suzuki not be ready to go by Opening Day, is veteran outfielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis, who hit his third home run in the past four games with an opposite field, two-run shot in the eighth inning.

I agree 100%

Ichiro occupies a coveted spot on the 25 man roster and the Ms hands are tied when dealing with him after either he falls on his face with bad production or when a healthy Gamel re-appears in 4-5 weeks.

Made no sense to jam him onto the club so hastily

Of course other than appeasing all the millions of asians in the PNW who will clammer to the ballpark to see him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There ya go. Hello Vogelbach

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was thinking a couple months ago they should have added him...my guess is tacoma.and that is where i was sloting him..for this year
after that,i was sloting herman

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also with the emergence of vogelbach this spring...the marinres returned mike ford to the yankees

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also with the emergence of vogelbach this spring...the marinres returned mike ford to the yankees
Hi ulmax and welcome aboard !

Yea its a shame Danny is the odd man out and ain't gonna make the 25 man squad.

he posted up the best numbers of any player in Cactus league this spring ( all teams )

insane 6HR and OPS around 1.300 and batting avg just under .400

those are solid numbers - Healy gets the nod at 1st base and they cannot carry Vogey on the roster so its tacoma he goes sadly

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi ulmax and welcome aboard !

Yea its a shame Danny is the odd man out and ain't gonna make the 25 man squad.

he posted up the best numbers of any player in Cactus league this spring ( all teams )

insane 6HR and OPS around 1.300 and batting avg just under .400

those are solid numbers - Healy gets the nod at 1st base and they cannot carry Vogey on the roster so its tacoma he goes sadly
We'll see Voge again-sooner rather than later I do believe.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that cements Jerry's dedication to having Erasmo in the rotation when he gets back. Still don't get what in his resume at all says he is a starter that Jerry loves. His only sustained success is as a long releiver/spot starter.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that cements Jerry's dedication to having Erasmo in the rotation when he gets back. Still don't get what in his resume at all says he is a starter that Jerry loves. His only sustained success is as a long releiver/spot starter.

Surprisingle Ramirez had a really good 1/2 season or so with Tampa as a regular starter just 2 yrs ago or so. May have been 2/3 season.

Just off the top of my head ... he posted up around 14 wins with 7 losses and an ERA in the low 3's - thats pretty fucking solid numbers for a Rays pitcher or any staff for that matter.

I agree ... he is a decent long reliever also. But as weak as our staff is, he's gonna get his shot as part of the 5 man rotation

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These new guys are way too fucking nice. I feel like they are going to suggest a bake sale pretty soon.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These new guys are way too fucking nice. I feel like they are going to suggest a bake sale pretty soon.

I’m sure the rotation will serve up plenty of cookies for everyone

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprisingle Ramirez had a really good 1/2 season or so with Tampa as a regular starter just 2 yrs ago or so. May have been 2/3 season.

Just off the top of my head ... he posted up around 14 wins with 7 losses and an ERA in the low 3's - thats pretty fucking solid numbers for a Rays pitcher or any staff for that matter.

I agree ... he is a decent long reliever also. But as weak as our staff is, he's gonna get his shot as part of the 5 man rotation

Ramirez is just a dude. He has had decent starts but so has Bergmann, Moore etc. Ramirez role on a team that's goal is the playoffs is as a long releiver that can spot start. Not penciled in to pitch every 5 days.

He will get his shot and that is why Jerry needs to be fired. He has tossed Miranda aside when Miranda has been the better pitcher and more stable starting pitcher than Ramirez or Marco or even his golden boy Andrew Moore.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramirez is just a dude. He has had decent starts but so has Bergmann, Moore etc. Ramirez role on a team that's goal is the playoffs is as a long releiver that can spot start. Not penciled in to pitch every 5 days.

He will get his shot and that is why Jerry needs to be fired. He has tossed Miranda aside when Miranda has been the better pitcher and more stable starting pitcher than Ramirez or Marco or even his golden boy Andrew Moore.

I agree with you

I am not a fan of Ramirez Moore or Miranda as all 3 are unlikely starters on any other MLB club outside the desperate Mariners.

I would love to see Vogelbach and another lower prospect bundled up in a trade to the Yankees right now ( Bird their 1b is hurt and they are slim at depth for 1b )

Maybe we could land Jordan Montgomery in a deal ? He is their young 25yo lefty. Big kid like 6'5 pushing 230 I think and is coming into his prime for MLB

Our offense and def is fine - we need starting pitching - GOOD starting pitching

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you

I am not a fan of Ramirez Moore or Miranda as all 3 are unlikely starters on any other MLB club outside the desperate Mariners.

I would love to see Vogelbach and another lower prospect bundled up in a trade to the Yankees right now ( Bird their 1b is hurt and they are slim at depth for 1b )

Maybe we could land Jordan Montgomery in a deal ? He is their young 25yo lefty. Big kid like 6'5 pushing 230 I think and is coming into his prime for MLB

Our offense and def is fine - we need starting pitching - GOOD starting pitching

But I am a huge fan of Miranda, his main issue last year was he hung with split so much after the break and why Jerry pisses me off with him. Miranda was the sacrificial lamb because the other starters were injured. If Miranda can get one more pitch (he is the 2nd best starter on the staff behind Paxton)

I like your thinking but, to me, Jerry should not be allowed to make another trade unless everyone in the system agrees. It's spring but Vogelbach seems to have adjusted his approach and the Mariners are going to need a DH once Cruz gets dealt in July. If Cano man's up and realizes he is probably the 5th best defensive 2B on the roster and moves to DH then it's a moot point about a Vogelbach trade.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I am a huge fan of Miranda, his main issue last year was he hung with split so much after the break and why Jerry pisses me off with him. Miranda was the sacrificial lamb because the other starters were injured. If Miranda can get one more pitch (he is the 2nd best starter on the staff behind Paxton)

I like your thinking but, to me, Jerry should not be allowed to make another trade unless everyone in the system agrees. It's spring but Vogelbach seems to have adjusted his approach and the Mariners are going to need a DH once Cruz gets dealt in July. If Cano man's up and realizes he is probably the 5th best defensive 2B on the roster and moves to DH then it's a moot point about a Vogelbach trade.

Miranda was not ready for the grind of a 162 game season and his stats dropped quickly as the season wore on

As he tired in games he missed up in the zone alot and many of those were hit over the fence and he became known for giving up the long ball too often

He is as good as Ramirez and possibly better moving forward with his age and limited MLB experience

Miranda will start in tacoma and Ramirez may make a spot start or 2 there and hit the big club by mid April

I hope things do not get bad enough we see Andrew Moore get called up again

Iwakuma will be near worthless when and if he is ever ready this season ( all his best years are behind him )

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This never gets old.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners announced a few roster moves on Sunday.

They re-assigned infielder Zach Vincej, catcher Tuffy Gosewisch and relief pitcher Ryan Cook to their minor-league camp, while optioning right-hander Ariel Miranda to Triple-A Tacoma.

Miranda seems the favorite to return to the Mariners on April 11 when they’d need to add a fifth starter, but they could also go with Rob Whalen.

Gosewisch’s move officially makes Mike Marjima the Mariners’ backup catcher to open the season behind Mike Zunino.