• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t remember where I heard it from but they talked about how Japanese pitchers throw a ton more than American players do it in terms of in between starts. Basically made it sound like how Ichiro did with all of his stretching and hitting a million times a day is what Japanese pitchers do except stretching and throwing. I don’t know, just a random thought because it seems like pitchers assimilate.

I read something similar as well. Kikuchi was surprised how little American pitchers throw between starts.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone post a list of rosters for each level of minor leagues.

Like Kelenic and Rodrigues, where will they officially be playing.

yeah we can do that but they are not quit ready yet..like fraley is listed at modesto he will prob be at arkansas..white as well..should wait till after the season has started

eattle Mariners
Tacoma Rainiers (AAA) Roster
Arkansas Travelers (AA) Roster
Modesto Nuts (A Adv.) Roster
West Virginia Power (A) Roster
Everett AquaSox (SS) Roster
AZL Mariners (R) Roster
DSL Mariners (R) Roster

try that to start..we will see if we can do better later

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They usually go from the top to the bottom when asigning lvls for minor league guy,s
But if they feel that a prospect can not handle the next lvl
They will not move him up...that is just in the beginning of the season

Other factors play in as well ...like is he HS
or collage guy and how much exposure
To pro baseball..and other personal factors
As well ( to the players)..so you can usually
Tell...but ya never know though...lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone post a list of rosters for each level of minor leagues.

Like Kelenic and Rodrigues, where will they officially be playing.

My guess is kelenic at low A west viginia
(Taking Over where stowers left off)
And Rodriguez at rookie everett

While kelenic is listed at rookie everett
At this time and Rodriguez at dsl

Hence the wait for the start of the season

Hope that helped

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One .would hope to see rodriguez at least
At AZL..but you never know with dsl guys

But the mariners have been...good about
Bringing the guy,s from dsl lately

And there are some good prospects
Mercedes...RHP
Elias espino...RHP

For a few... I am watching

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't help it...but I am still a James Paxton fan ...even if he is a Yankee

I was just checking out the eagle has landed
It is good..im on my phone so no link

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some more... cool...paxton

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some more baseball fun-nnyyyys

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
randy 'the bird killer' johnson..... the heat seeking missile launcher

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric O'flaherty says stop throwing your changeup Felix(710esp)
Good idea

His curve has been his best pitch anyway
Says servais
Time to go with it felix

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to flow it
To show it
A curve a slurve.
Not time for a change..how strange
A new game
Not the same

Bade
Bade
Curve and a slurve
Have the nerve...know how to serve
The spinrate..an eyerate eritate..a fluxuate the
Ball mate
Bade
Bade
No time for a change...but don't stay the same

Lololol
If i could rapp...i would be in a studio.
.lolil

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to put.. with ...before it..though...lololo

Aahh ulmax..u.fuunny guy
Also lame brained...lolol

Yeah..dont get the lame on the brain...so you can still have fame..in a Felix game

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catch some good interviews with by rick rizz
And Dave Sims..with

Mitch haniger
Dee Gordon
Domingo Santana
Jay Bruce
Scott servais
And
Jedi

At
YouTube..prob other places as well
# mariners ff
# fan fest

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric O'flaherty says stop throwing your changeup Felix(710esp)
Good idea

His curve has been his best pitch anyway
Says servais
Time to go with it felix

And no point in his career has Felix’s curveball ever been his been pitch. His best pitch has always been his changeup. But that is helped about by his 7-10 MPH difference and his hard curveball covered the difference between the 2.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something similar as well. Kikuchi was surprised how little American pitchers throw between starts.

No idea honestly. Like I said it was my personal thought of maybe it is why all Japanese pitchers come over and get injured relatively early in their MLB career. I think Darvish has the longest career without a major injury.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is the link to fan fest..2019

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea honestly. Like I said it was my personal thought of maybe it is why all Japanese pitchers come over and get injured relatively early in their MLB career. I think Darvish has the longest career without a major injury.

Darvish had Tommy John in 2015 and has also had a bunch of minor injuries throughout his career.

Not sure specifically what the issue is, but you're right that there have been a lot of injuries with Japanese pitchers.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no point in his career has Felix’s curveball ever been his been pitch. His best pitch has always been his changeup. But that is helped about by his 7-10 MPH difference and his hard curveball covered the difference between the 2.

I'm with you.

I don't think the issue is that Felix needs to stop throwing more changeups, the issue is that his changeup was well set-up by his fast ball which he just doesn't have anymore. His curveball was set up by the fact that his changeup and fastball worked so well.

For what it's worth, Felix threw his curveball 19.4% of the time in 2016 and threw it 27.9% of the time in 2018. We all know the results.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 Payroll Savings Trade Ideas From sodomojo.com:

1- Boston receives – 2B Dee Gordon
Seattle receives – 3B Danny Diaz (17 years old, #11 prospect), RHP Kutter Crawford(22 years old, #18 prospect), 1B Pedro Castellanos (20 years old, #30 prospect)

The Mariners would get back a young third base prospect and a pitcher with a back-end starter upside. Diaz currently has a bat that is ahead of his age. He has recently moved to third from short, which will be his position going forward as he gains muscle and puts on weight.

Castellanos would be a nice piece with the upside of solving a long-standing problem at first base. The Mariners did give up higher ranked prospects to get Gordon but also received $1 million in international money.

Something like this would likely be the deal that could be made for Dee Gordon. It would be a big step in multiple areas. The team would get good young players, all with different arrival windows. Asking for three prospects may be a little much, but if Boston wants to continue to improve, this would be the way to do it.

Savings – $40.5 million over three years, $13 million in 2019

2- Atlanta receives – 3B Kyle Seager
Seattle receives – OF Cristian Pache (19 years old, #6 prospect), LHP Tucker Davidson (22 years old, #24 prospect)

With a hole in the center, the Mariners could decide to keep Denard Span around for another year or two while Pache matures. Already an incredible defender, Pache shows a plus arm and plus speed and is still a teenager. Davidson is another in a long line of great Braves pitching prospects. Atlanta has a plethora of pitchers, and the Mariners could look to snag one in this trade.

In High A ball over 2018, Davidson struggled a bit, with an E.R.A. over four. He does show promise with his three pitches and would be a nice get for the Mariners, as he isn’t that far away from pitching in the majors.

Savings – $71 million over four years, $19 million in 2019

3- San Francisco receives – RHP Mike Leake
Seattle receives – RHP Juan De Paula (21 years old, #18 prospect)

The Giants have a glut of right-handed pitchers in their minor league system. Melvin Adon, Jake Wong, or Jordan Johnson; among others, could take the place of De Paula in a trade. Seattle should go for De Paula though. He looks to have room to grow still and gain speed and movement on his fastball. If he does, he could turn into a number two or three in the rotation.

Savings – $31 million over two years, $49 million over three years if option is agreed to, $16 million in 2019

4- Pittsburgh receives – SS Jean Segura
Seattle receives – OF Bryan Reynolds (23 years old, #8 prospect), 2B/SS Stephen Alemais (23 years old, #18 prospect), LHP Domingo Robles (20 years old, #28 prospect)

In trading Segura, the Mariners would be able to get two near ready prospects who could help them sooner rather than later. Both players could arguably jump right in, and likely would if all of the trades listed were made. Reynolds shows a good feel from both sides of the plate as a switch-hitter and can play all three outfield positions. He has improved his plate discipline and looks ready for a chance at the next level.

Alemais could take over for Segura, leaving Cano to play second for Seattle. He has a good glove and good hands, with a strong enough arm to play short. His speed is the main part of his offensive game, although he occasionally tries to power up, usually leading to poor results. Robles is a young lefty with a good setup for someone so young. He commands his pitches well, likely from his ability to repeat his delivery.

If Seattle were to send out Segura, they should expect a nice haul back in return. Getting a couple of players that are major league ready would help ease the pain of seeing one of the team’s best players leave. A high potential young lefty would help as well.

Savings – $74 million over five years, $14.25 million in 2019

5- Philadelphia receives – RHP Felix Hernandez, pays $6 million of $9 million remaining salary
Seattle receives – LHP Jhordany Mezquita (20 years old, #26 prospect)

Seattle would get a young lefty from the Phillies in Mezquita. He would start the 2019 season at age 21, and likely be three to four years away from the big league level. He has the end of rotation ability and sits in the low 90’s. Getting the 16th ranked pitcher in the Phillies system would be a reasonable get for Felix Hernandez, and save the team around $3 million dollars. (This trade is different than the others, in that it wouldn’t happen until near the deadline of July 31st. His outgoing salary would be prorated to around $9 million. The Mariners could likely get a low tier pitching prospect in return. It wouldn’t help clear payroll this off-season, but it would help the team out still. The trade would look like this.)

Savings – around $3 million dollars

Total Amount of money saved – $65.25 million in 2019, $61.75 in 2020, $64.25 in 2021, $29.25 in 2022, $17 in 2023. $237.5 million overall saved.
Looking back at an unloading frenzy a few years back. I hit on a couple players that made it like Reynolds for Pitt and Pache now with the A's. Always fun to look back and see how bad I missed. LOL!