• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official: Lions don't tag Suh.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again- Suh isn't gone because we didn't tag him. This helps his long-term prospects as a Lion much more than it hurts them. If he had been tagged, then next year would be his absolute last as a Lion...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The meat and tators of that article is the constant kicking the can and raising his hits.

I remember someone telling me it is okay to restructure if it means playoffs. Well it did mean a playoff birth and also this down the road. Also meant most likely no Suh in future. I believe also tried to say same things to no avail.

Kicking the can doubled his tag amount and a early wildcard exit from playoffs. Sometimes it is not hindsight. It is just knowing consequences.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boo frieken Hoo. Please go be a fan of whatever team Suh ends up on. I really really hope it is TB or Oakland. 2 teams that could bring in 10 all pros and still suck.

Cant wait to say I told you so.

I would not throw Oakland in that equation. With Al gone and finally a GM worth a damn, he is making great moves. Oakland may make playoffs before the Lions do again.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I've written Suh off for quite sometime now. Not even considering him coming back. Going to have to move on.

As much as I don't like to say it. Looks like we will have to build around Stafford. Hence OL or a RB like Gurley in the first. Defense should still be about middle of the pack with Austin at the helm next season. Also, that should cool off his chances of bolting as a head coach next season.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
espn_a_suh_gb1_800.jpg

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not throw Oakland in that equation. With Al gone and finally a GM worth a damn, he is making great moves. Oakland may make playoffs before the Lions do again.
Just curious what great moves the GM is making? He seems more Millen like to me. He took over an 8-8 team and turned them into a 4-12,4-12 and then worse 3-13 team. He fired the first year coach Hue Jackson and replaced him with garbage Dennis Allen, who he then fired. The only good thing he did was cut all the high priced garbage built up from the previous regime. He essentially took the next 3 seasons off while this money fell off the books completely...the only thing is it really wasn't his intent to suck. The free agents he brought in turned out to be garbage. Last year they signed Schaub(holder) and MJD(96 yards) to be the starters...a complete waste of 10 million. And Woodley another 5(5 tackles in 6 games). He did draft well last year and in 2013, I'll give him that.
Now he has 55 million (or more if he cuts Schaub and MJD and a few others. He has the money to buy some quality players. Frankly he should be able to build a darn good team this year...if he can't then he is downright garbage as a GM.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious what great moves the GM is making? He seems more Millen like to me. He took over an 8-8 team and turned them into a 4-12,4-12 and then worse 3-13 team. He fired the first year coach Hue Jackson and replaced him with garbage Dennis Allen, who he then fired. The only good thing he did was cut all the high priced garbage built up from the previous regime. He essentially took the next 3 seasons off while this money fell off the books completely...the only thing is it really wasn't his intent to suck. The free agents he brought in turned out to be garbage. Last year they signed Schaub(holder) and MJD(96 yards) to be the starters...a complete waste of 10 million. And Woodley another 5(5 tackles in 6 games). He did draft well last year and in 2013, I'll give him that.
Now he has 55 million (or more if he cuts Schaub and MJD and a few others. He has the money to buy some quality players. Frankly he should be able to build a darn good team this year...if he can't then he is downright garbage as a GM.
:10:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still 50/50 on this. I perfer to have him back but I just wonder what the team could do without him. Im guessing the front office has a few targets pegged to go after if Suh leaves. Im interested in the outcome no matter what.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying they might possibly use the tag on Suh was posturing, it was a negotiating tactic. They were NEVER going to commit $35 mil to Suh for one year of service. If they had, they should have been fired immediately. Maybe in 2025 a player may be worth $35 for a season but with a $143 cap in 2015 you just can't do that. If we can get him resigned, he's going to be too expensive but you have to live with that. If you tag him, it's simply too much to invest against one season's cap and still leaves you vulnerable to losing him next year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news guys, Orlovsky has been resigned. It's only Monday but tonight I'm gonna need a Friday night dose of e-cigs.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Suh back just as much as any other board member does but 1 player doesn't make an entire team as there are 24 starters and Suh is NOT the be all end all should he not re-sign. He's for damn sure a highly intricate piece to the Detroit Lions Defense and there's no telling of what the future defense will play like without him. Posters can make their purported claims that the Defense is headed for Doom and Gloom without him but until that scenario actually plays out for at least 1 season with the rest of the talent we have on the defense, I'm not going to be too overly concerned at this moment.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Suh back just as much as any other board member does but 1 player doesn't make an entire team as there are 24 starters and Suh is NOT the be all end all should he not re-sign. He's for damn sure a highly intricate piece to the Detroit Lions Defense and there's no telling of what the future defense will play like without him. Posters can make their purported claims that the Defense is headed for Doom and Gloom without him but until that scenario actually plays out for at least 1 season with the rest of the talent we have on the defense, I'm not going to be too overly concerned at this moment.

Suh is the SECOND-best defensive player in football. If dispersing and taking one-year deals on defense only, I only want Watt more than Suh. That said, if we can take the $27MM and sign a premium rush DE and two competent DT (or one very good DT and a journeyman) with money left to extend Levy, it may be better for the team in the long run.

I'm worried about how many teams have a ton of cap space this year, though. Free agents may be badly overpriced except for veteran WR.

Might be nice to have Andre Johnson for a season when we should have drafted him in the first place.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they can get serious about resigning him or move on. Suh wants to make money, if he doesn't feel he can make enough in Detroit he leaves. I don't see blaming the brass for Suh not wanting to stay. You can blame them for the restructures that made the tag impossible. It's always a tough spot to be in to have to use the tag as the players despise it which can also affect future negotiations.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is the SECOND-best defensive player in football. If dispersing and taking one-year deals on defense only, I only want Watt more than Suh. That said, if we can take the $27MM and sign a premium rush DE and two competent DT (or one very good DT and a journeyman) with money left to extend Levy, it may be better for the team in the long run.

I'm worried about how many teams have a ton of cap space this year, though. Free agents may be badly overpriced except for veteran WR.

Might be nice to have Andre Johnson for a season when we should have drafted him in the first place.

Lions $18,723,192 ... cap space available right now... there wasn't 27M available to tag Suh+ sign FA's like George Johnson, CJ Mosely, Rashean Mathis, Matt Prater and the 2015 draft class anyways, unless Mayhew made a helluva lot of other cuts to starters which would only mean more signings to replace those players

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not having a long debate on this. Raiders mean nothing to me. He can field a good team if the ownership lets him spend 55 million. Ford was never worried how much he spent as low as the team was competitive. Now suddenly towards the end Ford starting spending money. When you are a bottom feeder you are forced into bad contracts at times. Raiders were in same position as Lions were a few years ago. Throwing bad money at questionable talent.

Mayhew who gets hammered around here had a team go from 0-16 to having playoff appearances. This after drafting Broyles, Titus, and concussion boy. Mayhew still does not impress me that much, but if he can assist in the process of building the Lions after mistakes all GMs make. Many GMs can.

with the parity in the NFL it only takes a few moves to make dramatic differences. Suh and Cobb and a few others land out there anything can happen. 2013 and 2014 drafts were good. 2015 if he gets a few more good picks and he has a young nucleus going forward.

I got laughed at and told I was crazy to pick the Giants in the East. All the while that same person also told me the Eagles would run away with the East. In the end, did it matter what our predictions were? No.
We will talk more in 2016 on this... if I am wrong no problem.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kind of an interesting take on some of the moves GM McKenzie made in previous FA signings/

10 takeaways from this week's NFL offseason action

2. Oakland Raiders Positioning for Huge Free Agent Period

By virtue of releasing LaMarr Woodley and Tyvon Branch over the past few days, Oakland now possesses over $55 million in cap room. It also has the ability to add another $20 million by releasing pedestrian in-house veterans over the next week or so. This means that the Raiders could hit the open market with over $75 million to spend.

Unlike last year, general manager Reggie McKenzie cannot afford to spend this money on veterans that are past their prime. One of the reasons the front office decided to go in that direction last year was to set the team up for this year.

The likes of Ndamukong Suh, Jeremy Maclin, Julius Thomas, Byron Maxwell, DeMarco Murray, Randall Cobb and Rahim Moore should all be linked to the Raiders in the coming weeks. If this team is able to add a couple of these veterans, it will put the Raiders in a great position heading into the draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 takeaways from this week's NFL offseason action

5. Money will be Flying Around at a Record Pace This Month

As of right now, the Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns, New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts have a combined $250-plus million in salary cap room. Considering four of these teams are in desperate need of help up and down the roster, we can expect money to be thrown around to free agents at a record clip. Outside of those four teams, another 13 squads have more than $20 million in cap room. The amazing thing here is that most of the salary cap casualties around the league have yet to be announced.

For the teams mentioned above, it’s all going to be about making the right fiscal decisions and not overpaying for mediocre talent. We have seen bottom-feeders reach out to less-than-stellar free agents with some massive contracts in the past. That’s a trap that the Jaguars and Raiders of the world must avoid here.