• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive PI calls, Gronk, and collective head shaking.

What are your thoughts?

• The league seems to be singling out the patriots for pushoffs, legit or not. The metrics support it.

• The league is not singling out anybody. You suck, Rock.

• Vote here and receive one helping of free potato salad.

Results are only viewable after voting.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the broncos werent called for a single offensive penalty all game. the pats were called for 5 in the 4th quarter alone.

that being said, the patriots have been called for (or rather, had an offensive PI call accepted on them) 9 times.
the second closest team has 4.

gronk? well, hes been called for offensive PI 6 times. 6. thats more than 30 other TEAMS in the league...

mull that over. the second closest guy to gronk has 2.

now, football fans know the league has put a call out to refs to watch pushing off. this year, they seem to be focusing on the pats and particularly, gronk. justified or not?

Here are some links to enjoy:

Are refs holding Rob Gronkowski to higher standard with interference calls?

Rob Gronkowski Injury Never Should Have Happened And Other Leftover Patriots Thoughts

now, I'm not saying its a "conspiracy" vs the pats and gronk...but its fairly obvious to most toddlers that something is amiss here.

What are your thoughts?

This has been happening in a lot of games I've watched this year... Refs are getting way too involved...

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. What a pathetic thread.

I jumped in late but let me put in my :2cents:.

I would say the reason Gronk gets called for more PI calls is because he commits more PI calls.

What a concept huh.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And if the queen had a cock she would be the king. Stats are stats for a reason.

Brady--23/42, 280YDS, 3TD, 0INT, 99.3RTG, 62.3QBR
Osweiler--23/42, 270YDS, 1TD, 1INT, 72.5RTG, 35.23QBR

"Osweiler had the better game".... :L
And you just completely missed the point. Did Osweiler play worse because DT couldn't catch a ball to save his life? He made the throws, but somehow he's responsible when the receiver drops the ball? Ok then.

Their stat lines were basically the same, the only difference was the Broncos ran for touchdowns and the Patriots threw for touchdowns. Oh yeah, and Brady also won the stat for poor throw that lead to his best receiving threat getting hurt. At least Brock didn't hang his guys out to dry like that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I read the first sentence of this thread and just burst out laughing. Funny how Rock can only seem to remember the penalties against his team and how they were controversial. Funny how he doesn't remember the Offensive Holding call against Evan Mathis where the Broncos were driving and already in field goal range where Mathis bull dozed his guy to the ground and the announcers all said it was a very nice block yet he got called for holding taking them back 10 yards making it a much harder try for a field goal that the Broncos missed.

Or how about the fact that the Broncos actually had more penalties called on them in the game. How about all the defensive holding calls and DPI calls against the Broncos in this one? How about the announcers on one of Talib's PI calls saying it was a ticky tack call as he did what they say to do with reaching around the WR with your opposite hand to knock it down. Yeah let's just forget about the fact that the Broncos had all that happen to them. The refs were calling the ticky tack calls on both teams so don't sit here and whine about the calls against your team and blame the refs for losing when it went both ways. You just remember yours more because they went against your team.

Also just want to put this out there about the whole the Patriots were so banged up argument.

CVLPRshUwAAti2p.png

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't gloss over the TD's and INT's as if they are incidental. I'll take the QB who throws 3 TD's against zero INT's over the guy who throws 1TD and 1INT every time. Osweiler played well and put his team in a position to win. But don't go rewriting his accomplishments after-the-fact. His stats are awfully pedestrian. Then again, you being a Seahawks fan are used to seeing wins come despite so-so QB play. It all makes sense now.

Hey good news for you then because that is exactly what you got. It came with a "L" but whatever.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread turned out just how Rock planned.

Right? :noidea:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. What a pathetic thread.

I jumped in late but let me put in my :2cents:.

I would say the reason Gronk gets called for more PI calls is because he commits more PI calls.

What a concept huh.

Except that a few of them have been for doing exactly what the NFL told them they could do after New England reached out for information on what it was they were giving the PI's for. It's the reason Brady was so pissed after Gronk got one doing exactly what the NFL told them was approved, and they had practiced.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that a few of them have been for doing exactly what the NFL told them they could do after New England reached out for information on what it was they were giving the PI's for. It's the reason Brady was so pissed after Gronk got one doing exactly what the NFL told them was approved, and they had practiced.

LOL. Oh so the league said it was ok to push off before his break? Sure buddy.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Oh so the league said it was ok to push off before his break? Sure buddy.

No they said he could put his forearm up when in contact but not push off. Slo mo of the plays shows this happening.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe, but the main play in question Gronk definitely raises his arm and pushes off. Its clear as day.

NGkbuW7.gif

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I read the first sentence of this thread and just burst out laughing. Funny how Rock can only seem to remember the penalties against his team and how they were controversial. Funny how he doesn't remember the Offensive Holding call against Evan Mathis where the Broncos were driving and already in field goal range where Mathis bull dozed his guy to the ground and the announcers all said it was a very nice block yet he got called for holding taking them back 10 yards making it a much harder try for a field goal that the Broncos missed.

Or how about the fact that the Broncos actually had more penalties called on them in the game. How about all the defensive holding calls and DPI calls against the Broncos in this one? How about the announcers on one of Talib's PI calls saying it was a ticky tack call as he did what they say to do with reaching around the WR with your opposite hand to knock it down. Yeah let's just forget about the fact that the Broncos had all that happen to them. The refs were calling the ticky tack calls on both teams so don't sit here and whine about the calls against your team and blame the refs for losing when it went both ways. You just remember yours more because they went against your team.

Also just want to put this out there about the whole the Patriots were so banged up argument.

View attachment 59651

are we really trying to say "pro bowls" count for anything?

I wouldn't take much solace in what the commentators said about this game either... They sucked last night as well....Penalties sucked on BOTH sides of the ball...end of story

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But to be fair ^^^ most of the players who weren't playing were on the offense which left Brady with Lafell and Chandler.... I think that's all the meme was supposed (or at least should have) been implying. Even with the injuries they still played ok and could/should have won

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are we really trying to say "pro bowls" count for anything?

I wouldn't take much solace in what the commentators said about this game either... They sucked last night as well....Penalties sucked on BOTH sides of the ball...end of story

It was more just to show that the whole injury excuse is kind of a dumb argument. Both teams were really banged up and missing very key players. At this time of year it is what happens. You really see the depth of your team when usually 6-7 starters are sidelined. While Pro Bowls don't mean a ton they still do have some value especially today where it is not just fans voting on this anymore picking the big name players every time.

I mean would you rather go 1st Team All-Pro? Because for the Broncos that number would be 14 while for the Patriots it would be 3.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But to be fair ^^^ most of the players who weren't playing were on the offense which left Brady with Lafell and Chandler.... I think that's all the meme was supposed (or at least should have) been implying. Even with the injuries they still played ok and could/should have won

I get that sort of but hasn't the whole Patriot thing been that Brady has rarely had anybody to throw to yet has still put up great numbers and found ways to win with no name players? So all of a sudden he is playing with no name players and that seems to be the excuse that many are using that the Patriots are just too banged up right now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more just to show that the whole injury excuse is kind of a dumb argument. Both teams were really banged up and missing very key players. At this time of year it is what happens. You really see the depth of your team when usually 6-7 starters are sidelined. While Pro Bowls don't mean a ton they still do have some value especially today where it is not just fans voting on this anymore picking the big name players every time.

I mean would you rather go 1st Team All-Pro? Because for the Broncos that number would be 14 while for the Patriots it would be 3.

yeah i figured you were.. But some people would look at and say, "he has 12 pro bowls, he is amazing..."

Honestly I didn't know the Broncos were down those guys, all I heard about was Ware.

But yes the injury excuse is also stupid... I mean look at what the Patriots accomplished against the Broncos and vise versa

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they said he could put his forearm up when in contact but not push off. Slo mo of the plays shows this happening.
He would have been fine had he not extended his arm. Brady in his whining to the refs had his elbow bent, but that's not what Gronk did and it's why Brady was wrong and why the refs threw the flag.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that sort of but hasn't the whole Patriot thing been that Brady has rarely had anybody to throw to yet has still put up great numbers and found ways to win with no name players? So all of a sudden he is playing with no name players and that seems to be the excuse that many are using that the Patriots are just too banged up right now.

oh I agree... just saying that for this game he had to do it with people he barely knew and probably didn't feel too comfortable with. However, it also does show he can still get it done with "no one"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I agree... just saying that for this game he had to do it with people he barely knew and probably didn't feel too comfortable with. However, it also does show he can still get it done with "no one"

He did. Honestly this was probably one of the more impressive games I have seen from Brady considering the circumstances. And I hope it is not coming across that I think you are using this excuse at all. I just meant more the National Media and some Pats fans I have seen saying the injuries are why they lost or the officials. I haven't seen many give much credit to the Broncos actually playing decent and making some plays.