• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive PI calls, Gronk, and collective head shaking.

What are your thoughts?

• The league seems to be singling out the patriots for pushoffs, legit or not. The metrics support it.

• The league is not singling out anybody. You suck, Rock.

• Vote here and receive one helping of free potato salad.

Results are only viewable after voting.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did. Honestly this was probably one of the more impressive games I have seen from Brady considering the circumstances. And I hope it is not coming across that I think you are using this excuse at all. I just meant more the National Media and some Pats fans I have seen saying the injuries are why they lost or the officials. I haven't seen many give much credit to the Broncos actually playing decent and making some plays.

yeah.. he did... Most pissed off I've seen him in a while as well.

no worries I am not thinking you are saying that to me... The injury to Gronk certainly took air out of the sails of the Pats at the end of the game that's for sure but they certainly didn't lose because of it or other injuries or the officials

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah.. he did... Most pissed off I've seen him in a while as well.

no worries I am not thinking you are saying that to me... The injury to Gronk certainly took air out of the sails of the Pats at the end of the game that's for sure but they certainly didn't lose because of it or other injuries or the officials
Look at you, being all logical and reasonable and what not. You're going to give Patriots fans a bad name.

Delphic1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 votes to 11.

This is bad.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More to the point, has anyone who ever saw Dan Marino play not realize what a great QB he was? Football is a team sport.

Nobody is questioning that but he has never had great teams for support. When you have a team that is either a #1 or #2 seed and gets ousted in the first game at home esp 9 times, then the QB has to take some blame. Your team in particular has been good enough the last 5 years that Tebow advanced them to the second round of the playoffs and that was with a rookie Miller, no Ware,Harris Jr, Talib , Ward or Sanders. You guys have been out after the first game 2 out of 3 years and once to the SB and we know how that turned out. I think this kid Brock can get you guys some titles, if he continues and not a flash in the pan. Now what Elway has done in the FA taking the Bronco's to 5 SB's is amazing, and Montana always stuck out as the best because of the 4 SB titles. Now I have shifted because of Brady led team going to 6 SB's, winning 4, going to the AFCG 5 years in a row( 2 SB appearances 101). Pats went 5-11 and 0-2 before Brady and missed the playoffs the year he was out, so Belichick can't get a majority of the credit IMO

Last edited:

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that a few of them have been for doing exactly what the NFL told them they could do after New England reached out for information on what it was they were giving the PI's for. It's the reason Brady was so pissed after Gronk got one doing exactly what the NFL told them was approved, and they had practiced.
That's great for that one play.

Do you really think someone told all the officials to call more offensive PI's on Gronk?
Because that is what this ridiculous thread is implying.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 votes to 11.

This is bad.
i know

23% on 2 valid choices with 3 options.

its bad only 23% of people are smart enough to see it

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you really think someone told all the officials to call more offensive PI's on Gronk?

What people forget is teams and players do get a certain reputation. Heck I have seen it with the Broncos this year in they play a very aggressive right to the line of what is allowed and not allowed style of defense and because of that the officials are watching them a little closer on some things. It happens. With Gronk he is known for his aggressive style of play and not shying away from contact and getting into those hand fights with defenders. So it has caused officials to take notice. I would throw in that Gronk is usually 50 lbs or more in weight than many of the guys he is going against. A little shove by him would be equal to a huge shove by the defender. It doesn't take much for him to get a guy going backwards which is what the officials are looking for.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would have been fine had he not extended his arm. Brady in his whining to the refs had his elbow bent, but that's not what Gronk did and it's why Brady was wrong and why the refs threw the flag.

On all six PI calls?:L

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not on all six of them he didnt

In the NFL rule book it never once says that a player has to extend his arm to get OPI. All it says is OPI is called when an offensive player intentionally gets in the way of a defender to interrupt their coverage or when an offensive receiver shoves the defender away from him prior to making a play on the ball. Did Gronk shove the Broncos player? That is the only question needing answered not whether he extended his arm all the way.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no doubt they have been told to emphasize it just based on the number of times it has been called compared to previous years, and once they hyper focus on it they become more likley to f up the call as the play is happening at game speed.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NFL rule book it never once says that a player has to extend his arm to get OPI. All it says is OPI is called when an offensive player intentionally gets in the way of a defender to interrupt their coverage or when an offensive receiver shoves the defender away from him prior to making a play on the ball. Did Gronk shove the Broncos player? That is the only question needing answered not whether he extended his arm all the way.

Gronk has been called for a PI when the defender initiated contact.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt they have been told to emphasize it just based on the number of times it has been called compared to previous years, and once they hyper focus on it they become more likley to f up the call as the play is happening at game speed.
I agree with that. But they are not singling out Gronk which is clearly what rock is implying.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. But they are not singling out Gronk which is clearly what rock is implying.

The argument can be made that they in fact are, just by the jump in frequency.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronk has been called for a PI when the defender initiated contact.

I'm not arguing the other OPI's. I did not see all of them. For this one OPI though by the letter of the rules it was OPI. Now yes it was maybe a bit ticky tacky because the hand fighting is just part of the game but did he shove the player to try and get some space...From the video it is pretty obvious he does give him a shove and the defender goes backwards. That is OPI by the rules.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing the other OPI's. I did not see all of them. For this one OPI though by the letter of the rules it was OPI. Now yes it was maybe a bit ticky tacky because the hand fighting is just part of the game but did he shove the player to try and get some space...From the video it is pretty obvious he does give him a shove and the defender goes backwards. That is OPI by the rules.

Another way to look at it, is Gronk is just so much bigger it looks worse than it actually is. It was an extremely ticky tack call.