• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offense exposed Last Night???

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it but the Cowboys defense came in with a great gameplan against the Eagles offense last night. They took away the bubble screens, jammed Shady at the line when they tried to set up for screens, and they really did a good job of shutting down the outside running lanes.

Man coverage on the wide outs and put constant pressure on Foles. Did they just show the rest of the playoff teams on how to stop this offense?

Foles didn't look comfortable at all last night, granted him scrambling is like watching a DLman run 50 yds, not very good....

What do you think?

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the Eagles won the NFC East in Chip Kelly's FIRST year breaking all kinds of offensive records in the process. I don't seem to recall the league following Dallas' pattern after week 7.
Everything else is gravy.
Bring on the Saints in the cold in Philly.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. i believe the offense isn't stoppable. i don't mean that in an arrogant way.. it's just the offensive line, receivers, qb, back combination is simply one of the best in the NFL.

they were pretty mediocre last night, but still put up 24 points. could have been 31 if not stuffed at the goal. 366 total yards.

the problem is what i bitch about most weeks with kelly, refusal to change the plan and/or run when things aren't going smoothly. he finally started to run towards the end of the 3rd quarter, and what happened?

1st and 10 at PHI 48 (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right end to PHI 49 for 1 yard (D.Holloman; E.Brown).
2nd and 9 at PHI 49 (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right end to DAL 38 for 13 yards (C.Irvin; E.Brown).
1st and 10 at DAL 38 (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right end ran ob at DAL 28 for 10 yards (B.Church).

that 2nd down is where they would keep passing, only to get sacked or just throw it away. dallas knows it was coming. other teams do as well. once they go back to the run, the defense is screwed. they're tired, start to get pushed around, have no clue what's coming and it opens the play-action.

jdl5136

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXACTLY!!! When they ran three straight times there my dad said...why haven't they been doing that all game.. Too predictable. Not to bitch, but we have the second best RB only to AP in my opinion. Shady makes plays and all else will take care of itself.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it but the Cowboys defense came in with a great gameplan against the Eagles offense last night. They took away the bubble screens, jammed Shady at the line when they tried to set up for screens, and they really did a good job of shutting down the outside running lanes.

Man coverage on the wide outs and put constant pressure on Foles. Did they just show the rest of the playoff teams on how to stop this offense?

Foles didn't look comfortable at all last night, granted him scrambling is like watching a DLman run 50 yds, not very good....

What do you think?

There was an article I read (don't remember the source maybe Football Outsiders) talking about the Cowboys strengths/weaknesses on D. Stopping screen passes was actually one of the few things the Cowboys were fantastic at (they ranked in the top 5 on yards per screen defensively), so the Eagles not having success there was not a surprise. Where Dallas was extremely weak was covering the TE and Celek and Ertz both made plays in that regard. The amount of pressure that was able to get to Foles is what really worries me. Other people on here will claim that Kelly doesn't run enough for their liking and even go so far as to call him an Andy Reid clone (despite the fact that this was the best offense ever in Philadelphia history in only his first season) but the reality is that when Foles threw the ball yesterday he was averaging over 10 yards an attempt, and it was still a 34-27 rushes-passes, so not exactly pass-whacky. Yes, the Minnesota game was not a great game plan, but I for one will place my trust in the guy who is coaching the Eagles.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think so. I think that the OL let Foles/McCoy down for most of the game, which is what caused a lot of the issues.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article I read (don't remember the source maybe Football Outsiders) talking about the Cowboys strengths/weaknesses on D. Stopping screen passes was actually one of the few things the Cowboys were fantastic at (they ranked in the top 5 on yards per screen defensively), so the Eagles not having success there was not a surprise. Where Dallas was extremely weak was covering the TE and Celek and Ertz both made plays in that regard. The amount of pressure that was able to get to Foles is what really worries me. Other people on here will claim that Kelly doesn't run enough for their liking and even go so far as to call him an Andy Reid clone (despite the fact that this was the best offense ever in Philadelphia history in only his first season) but the reality is that when Foles threw the ball yesterday he was averaging over 10 yards an attempt, and it was still a 34-27 rushes-passes, so not exactly pass-whacky. Yes, the Minnesota game was not a great game plan, but I for one will place my trust in the guy who is coaching the Eagles.

I'm not questioning is play selection as to ratio of run to pass. I just thought Dallas came out with a solid way of slowing the Eagles offense, they put pressure on McCoy to run towards the middle of the line instead of being able to bounce it outside, and the pressure Foles had on him during passing plays was also good.

At one point there was a change of attack and Kelly went to his boy Celek a couple times, one for a big gain then the TD, he makes adjustments so well. Plus didn't it seem the hurry up offense was dialed down last night? The whole game, not just the last series?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think so. I think that the OL let Foles/McCoy down for most of the game, which is what caused a lot of the issues.

Yes Soul I agree, I dont think the unit played as well as they have been. Peters even looked a little pissed about getting beat a couple times, put also McCoy did "freelance" a little on some of the run plays and if he would've stuck to the play could have walked away with bigger gains.

All in all in was a good game, those heart race games can wear on a fan, but it does build them confidence as they proceed forward into the playoffs....

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the bright side -- whatever the reason, a "down" game for our QB is below :thumb:

17/26 (65%) | 260 yards | 2 TD, 0 INT | 124.4 rtg

That's a really good position to be in.