• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic Lounge

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dropped 70 on my dad in HS. True story.

Pops went to Dunbar.

Just a question to make sure I'm not dreaming:

At one time wasn't DaMatha known as the hot bed for high school basketball in the DC area? If I remember correctly Morgan Wooten was the head coach there during that time. All I know is back when NC State was good they had a recruiting pipeline of players coming out of DaMatha High School.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At one time wasn't DaMatha known as the hot bed for high school basketball in the DC area? If I remember correctly Morgan Wooten was the head coach there during that time. All I know is back when NC State was good they had a recruiting pipeline of players coming out of DaMatha High School.
Yes they were

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry for the late response. I'm just a Fairfax County Army brat. West Potomac grad. I was more concerned with Hayfield, Mt. Vernon, Lee, and T.C.

Did spend two years in Oxon Hill and another two in Ft. Washington. Bunch of good athletes on the other side of the WW Bridge. VA got some ballers too though.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dematha was one of the top high school basketball teams in the country for many years under Wooten. I think his first big name grad was James Brown of TV fame. Dantley, Adrian Branch, Sidney Lowe, Whittenburg, Jerrod Mustaf, Danny Ferry and many more. They have one hell of a football program too. AAU changed the basketball landscape and the HS were in demand like they had been. Still Dematha is a basketball hot bed. Jimmy V scored two of those guys and a national championship. Thurl Bailey too who went to Bladensburg which isn't far from Dematha but not a Catholic school.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the late response. I'm just a Fairfax County Army brat. West Potomac grad. I was more concerned with Hayfield, Mt. Vernon, Lee, and T.C.

Did spend two years in Oxon Hill and another two in Ft. Washington. Bunch of good athletes on the other side of the WW Bridge. VA got some ballers too though.

During my CBS traveling days I covered Delaware to Florida so I'm very familiar with Fairfax County, VA and I really liked the people I met in that area. Sorry for asking you a question that was out of the area you were focused on but I understand. Thanks for replying.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dematha was one of the top high school basketball teams in the country for many years under Wooten. I think his first big name grad was James Brown of TV fame. Dantley, Adrian Branch, Sidney Lowe, Whittenburg, Jerrod Mustaf, Danny Ferry and many more. They have one hell of a football program too. AAU changed the basketball landscape and the HS were in demand like they had been. Still Dematha is a basketball hot bed. Jimmy V scored two of those guys and a national championship. Thurl Bailey too who went to Bladensburg which isn't far from Dematha but not a Catholic school.

Thanks for that great information. My NC State National Championship team from 1983 did have Lowe and Whittenburg from Dematha along with Bailey which was not far away. After Jimmy V left NC State Wooten was under strong consideration for the next head coaching job at NC State but he quickly removed his name from consideration saying that he was very happy at Dematha. Now I didn't know that James Brown of TV fame went to Dematha or that Dematha has one hell of a football program too so thanks for sharing.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that great information. My NC State National Championship team from 1983 did have Lowe and Whittenburg from Dematha along with Bailey which was not far away. After Jimmy V left NC State Wooten was under strong consideration for the next head coaching job at NC State but he quickly removed his name from consideration saying that he was very happy at Dematha. Now I didn't know that James Brown of TV fame went to Dematha or that Dematha has one hell of a football program too so thanks for sharing.
Rumor has it .... I think before Lefty was hired Morgan wanted the job. I could have the wrong one but I think it was Lefty. Maryland never did very well recruiting at Dematha. They did get Adrian Branch and that was a big get. I am probably forgetting a player or two but the only other guy I can think of right now is Duane Simpkins who played for Gary.

Local radio guys were talking about Turge and him not getting any Dematha guys. One of the guys on the Junkies played for Dematha just said I don't know why. Turge goes to games there.

I never wanted Danny Ferry. I had met his dad Bob - Bullets GM and he was an ass. Hopefully Danny was a little better person.

I think back in the day Jimmy V was so NOT Dean and then they had that team loaded with players from Maryland that we had a real warm spot for them. What a great pass Whittenburg threw to Lorenzo Charles. I can still see Jimmy running around the court looking for someone to hug.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny story .... Dantley was in HS at the same time I was. He and Dematha were playing Carroll in a huge game at PGCC. My buddy and I went and the game was sold out when we got to the door. We wanted to see the game badly. We found a ladder and took it and put it up to one of the locker room windows, climb and got in that way. A crowd formed behind us but we avoided detection, slipped into the gym and got to watch the game. Sometimes it pays to be a little bad. :D :thumb:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it .... I think before Lefty was hired Morgan wanted the job. I could have the wrong one but I think it was Lefty. Maryland never did very well recruiting at Dematha. They did get Adrian Branch and that was a big get. I am probably forgetting a player or two but the only other guy I can think of right now is Duane Simpkins who played for Gary.

Local radio guys were talking about Turge and him not getting any Dematha guys. One of the guys on the Junkies played for Dematha just said I don't know why. Turge goes to games there.

I never wanted Danny Ferry. I had met his dad Bob - Bullets GM and he was an ass. Hopefully Danny was a little better person.

I think back in the day Jimmy V was so NOT Dean and then they had that team loaded with players from Maryland that we had a real warm spot for them. What a great pass Whittenburg threw to Lorenzo Charles. I can still see Jimmy running around the court looking for someone to hug.

Lefty was so colorful and many people don't realize that as much stomping as he did arguing calls with the officials he knew when to shut up and got very few technical fouls called on him. I really liked Lefty. One night in the old Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh I was sitting courtside behind the Maryland bench thanks to free tickets from my high school math teacher Lou Bello who was an ACC official for many years. NC State got off to a 6-0 lead and all the lights on the scoreboard went out. As Maryland was bringing the ball down court Lefty yelled at Bello "What's the score ref?" Bello answered "we're leading you 6-0." Lefty just shook his head and sat down. True story!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny story .... Dantley was in HS at the same time I was. He and Dematha were playing Carroll in a huge game at PGCC. My buddy and I went and the game was sold out when we got to the door. We wanted to see the game badly. We found a ladder and took it and put it up to one of the locker room windows, climb and got in that way. A crowd formed behind us but we avoided detection, slipped into the gym and got to watch the game. Sometimes it pays to be a little bad. :D :thumb:

Sounds like the days when I didn't have two nickels to rub together when my buddy and I pulled ourselves up a brick wall with vines to go over the wall to watch NC State football games as we disappeared into the crowd after getting in.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lefty was so colorful and many people don't realize that as much stomping as he did arguing calls with the officials he knew when to shut up and got very few technical fouls called on him. I really liked Lefty. One night in the old Reynolds Coliseum in Raleigh I was sitting courtside behind the Maryland bench thanks to free tickets from my high school math teacher Lou Bello who was an ACC official for many years. NC State got off to a 6-0 lead and all the lights on the scoreboard went out. As Maryland was bringing the ball down court Lefty yelled at Bello "What's the score ref?" Bello answered "we're leading you 6-0." Lefty just shook his head and sat down. True story!
I loved Lew Alcindor but I was watching SC (back when they were in the ACC) play MD. Lefty played slow down the entire game. Jim "Bozo" O'Brien hit a jumper from the corner very late and Maryland won. I was hooked. Elmore and McMillan followed soon after and John Lucas right behind them. Not sure how many remember Moses Malone committed to Maryland but the new ABA league let him play at 18. That cost Lefty an NCAA Championship. Moses would have crushed in college.

Lefty is my favorite MD coach. What a character. That was a reason I liked Jimmy V. He was fun and you wanted to root for him.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, Dematha wasn't known as the "hotbed of high school basketball," that name belonged to the entire D.C./ Baltimore region. No doubt, Dematha was a long term regional powerhouse, but there were others coming from public and private schools during that time who were as good or better depending upon the season. Seasonal games were great and ranking titles were voted on by sports writers but the real championship, one played on real basketball courts and officially sanctioned, was determined with the post-season, eight team K of C (Knights of Columbus) tournament. Ask almost anyone from James Brown (yeah that one) to anyone who's ever followed the game during that era which team was the best of them all and they will (or should) tell you McKinley Tech ( a DC public school team) There's an ongoing debate between DC and Baltimore over this because Baltimore says Dunbar of Baltimore, for me, that's a joke! Ask the same people who Morgan Wooten and Dematha were deathly afraid of playing during that same time and that answer would have to be the John Thompson coached St. Anthony's squad. In fact he (Wooten) refused to play them repeatedly in an official game, until finally relenting and agreeing to play them unofficially in the Jelleff summer league. Thompson was so pissed that he kept his guys off of the court and recruited guys in the stands to face them. Enter Dunbar of Baltimore, another team that Wooten wouldn't play but after relenting under the same circumstances, as he did with Thompson, Baltimore's coach had actual toddlers (5 year old kids) take the court. This is legendary stuff, but damn those were great times, ah, er, um, basketball wise.

Last edited:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved Lew Alcindor but I was watching SC (back when they were in the ACC) play MD. Lefty played slow down the entire game. Jim "Bozo" O'Brien hit a jumper from the corner very late and Maryland won. I was hooked. Elmore and McMillan followed soon after and John Lucas right behind them. Not sure how many remember Moses Malone committed to Maryland but the new ABA league let him play at 18. That cost Lefty an NCAA Championship. Moses would have crushed in college.

Lefty is my favorite MD coach. What a character. That was a reason I liked Jimmy V. He was fun and you wanted to root for him.

The era we are talking about in ACC basketball had to be the greatest era during my lifetime with so many colorful coaches. I don't know if you remember Horace (Bones) McKinney who was the head coach at Wake Forest during that time. He was an ordained Baptist Preacher on Sunday mornings but anything but a preacher during the week as he coached spouting four letter words left and right that you would not hear during his Sunday morning church service. In addition to this, I ran into Bones on many nights in nightclubs as we were both chasing skirts and he was drinking much more than a sip of wine from the alter. Anyway, Bones led the league in technical fouls against himself arguing with the refs calls and telling them they would be going to hell. What an era!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Moses Malone came out of Petersburg, Virginia and if he would have played at Maryland they would have owned the nation. Yes, I remember those ABA days well since we had a team who played in my backyard called the Carolina Cougars.

In the greatest ACC game ever played I still don't know how we beat Maryland with their talent level of Elmore, McMillan, Lucas, etc. I guess it's only because we had a guy by the name of David Thompson.