• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic Lounge

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Dematha wasn't known as the "hotbed of high school basketball," that name belonged to the entire D.C./ Baltimore region. No doubt, Dematha was a long term regional powerhouse, but there were others coming from public and private schools during that time who were as good or better depending upon the season. Seasonal games were great and ranking titles were voted on by sports writers but the real championship, one played on real basketball courts and officially sanctioned, was determined with the post-season, eight team K of C (Knights of Columbus) tournament. Ask almost anyone from James Brown (yeah that one) to anyone who's ever followed the game during that era which team was the best of them all and they will (or should) tell you McKinley Tech ( a DC public school team) There's an ongoing debate between DC and Baltimore over this because Baltimore says Dunbar of Baltimore, for me, that's a joke! Ask the same people who Morgan Wooten and Dematha were deathly afraid of playing during that same time and that answer would have to be the John Thompson coached St. Anthony's squad. In fact he (Wooten) refused to play them repeatedly in an official game, until finally relenting and agreeing to play them unofficially in the Jelleff summer league. Thompson was so pissed that he kept his guys off of the court and recruited guys in the stands to face them. Enter Dunbar of Baltimore, another team that Wooten wouldn't play but after relenting under the same circumstances, as he did with Thompson, Baltimore's coach had actual toddlers (5 year old kids) take the court. This is legendary stuff, but damn those were great times, ah, er, um, basketball wise.

I take a lot of pride in still having most of my sanity at an age that I wish was much younger but with that said you and sportster continue to educate me so much about some of my favorite times of being a sports-a-holic. Honestly, I had forgotten about how much high school basketball talent had come out of the DMV area during the era we are talking about. In my head I'm now putting together NBA all time all star rosters with names like Baylor, Dantley, and Malone just for starters not to mention great coaches from that area as well. John Thompson was one of my favorites and I still visualize him with that white towel draped across his shoulder as he coached. Thanks for the memories and education.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The era we are talking about in ACC basketball had to be the greatest era during my lifetime with so many colorful coaches. I don't know if you remember Horace (Bones) McKinney who was the head coach at Wake Forest during that time. He was an ordained Baptist Preacher on Sunday mornings but anything but a preacher during the week as he coached spouting four letter words left and right that you would not hear during his Sunday morning church service. In addition to this, I ran into Bones on many nights in nightclubs as we were both chasing skirts and he was drinking much more than a sip of wine from the alter. Anyway, Bones led the league in technical fouls against himself arguing with the refs calls and telling them they would be going to hell. What an era!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Moses Malone came out of Petersburg, Virginia and if he would have played at Maryland they would have owned the nation. Yes, I remember those ABA days well since we had a team who played in my backyard called the Carolina Cougars.

In the greatest ACC game ever played I still don't know how we beat Maryland with their talent level of Elmore, McMillan, Lucas, etc. I guess it's only because we had a guy by the name of David Thompson.
I know of Bones McKinney but do not remember him coaching. Great stories. Like a lot of people we were good Sunday Christians.

Yes Moses went to Petersburgh HS. He was head and shoulders the top HS player coming out his year.

The greatest game ever played NC State versus Maryland in the ACC. Norm Sloan coaching NC State. Heartbreaker for us. We had nothing for Skywalker and MD had a hell of a team. I remember late State went 4 corners. Thompson was handling the ball with Elmore guarding him. When David finally decided to drive Elmore got up so his elbow was at rim level. Thompson got up higher and dropped the ball through. No dunking back then. Great freaking game!!!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take a lot of pride in still having most of my sanity at an age that I wish was much younger but with that said you and sportster continue to educate me so much about some of my favorite times of being a sports-a-holic. Honestly, I had forgotten about how much high school basketball talent had come out of the DMV area during the era we are talking about. In my head I'm now putting together NBA all time all star rosters with names like Baylor, Dantley, and Malone just for starters not to mention great coaches from that area as well. John Thompson was one of my favorites and I still visualize him with that white towel draped across his shoulder as he coached. Thanks for the memories and education.
Dave Bing and Austin Carr were DC guys. My friend Terry played a lot of playground ball with Carr in SE DC. Terry was one hell of a player but raved about Carr.

Another friend named Terry played two years for Big John. The stories are great. Terry's sister was the little chubby woman who sat on the bench. She was John's academic advisor which is how her younger brother got to play there his final two years.

When we played ... I played with the 2nd Terry in County Boys Club. The first Terry coached us. LOL There was a kid that played for another team. Stacey Robinson. One year, first game they beat our team in a close game. Stacey comes in our locker room after the game with a trench coat on. Pulls out a razor blade and threatens us. We were ready for the rematch in our gym. Terry and another friend went off. Stacey was talking trash and Terry knocked him on his ass. Sad thing is Stacey was a play ground legend. Really, really good. He pissed it all away. I heard about 15 years ago he had gotten his life straightened out. His kid signed to play for MD but couldn't get in and I don't think Stacey Jr. ever did much.

You stoked up a lot of old memories.

Durant is a local guy. Grew up in Seat Pleasant, very close to DC.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Bing and Austin Carr were DC guys. My friend Terry played a lot of playground ball with Carr in SE DC. Terry was one hell of a player but raved about Carr.

Another friend named Terry played two years for Big John. The stories are great. Terry's sister was the little chubby woman who sat on the bench. She was John's academic advisor which is how her younger brother got to play there his final two years.

When we played ... I played with the 2nd Terry in County Boys Club. The first Terry coached us. LOL There was a kid that played for another team. Stacey Robinson. One year, first game they beat our team in a close game. Stacey comes in our locker room after the game with a trench coat on. Pulls out a razor blade and threatens us. We were ready for the rematch in our gym. Terry and another friend went off. Stacey was talking trash and Terry knocked him on his ass. Sad thing is Stacey was a play ground legend. Really, really good. He pissed it all away. I heard about 15 years ago he had gotten his life straightened out. His kid signed to play for MD but couldn't get in and I don't think Stacey Jr. ever did much.

You stoked up a lot of old memories.

Durant is a local guy. Grew up in Seat Pleasant, very close to DC.

Great stories and memories! As you know, baseball was my main sport so my only claim to fame in basketball was playing guard with Pete Maravich in high school and he scored all the points so there was no claim to fame for me at all. Pete didn't have a car so I picked him up almost every morning with my clunker and drove him to school as he dribbled his basketball out of the passenger window and I don't ever remember having to stop because his basketball hit the curb. No lie, he even slept with his basketball! If I had only known at that time that he would have eventually been able to buy several car dealerships with the money he made I would have told him to bum a ride with somebody else. Just kidding.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
August 8, 1982. A line drive foul ball hits a four year old boy in the head at Fenway. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him. When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him. Fucking Hero.
Yes he was/is

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, now I'm going to have to go to therapy again! Talk here about David Thompson also provoked memories of the the one NC State player that I couldn't stand... Monte Towe! That lil fucker controlled the game like few others and seemed always to come up with "that" play against Maryland teams that I poured my guts out rooting for. I have to tell you guys as I close I'm now doing the old man mumbling under his breath thing just thinking about that guy! Thanks dammit! :L :gaah:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
August 8, 1982. A line drive foul ball hits a four year old boy in the head at Fenway. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him. When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him. Fucking Hero.
Yes he was/is

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. We need to hear more stories like this whether it's about sports heroes or heroes in any other profession in life.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, now I'm going to have to go to therapy again! Talk here about David Thompson also provoked memories of the the one NC State player that I couldn't stand... Monte Towe! That lil fucker controlled the game like few others and seemed always to come up with "that" play against Maryland teams that I poured my guts out rooting for. I have to tell you guys as I close I'm now doing the old man mumbling under his breath thing just thinking about that guy! Thanks dammit! :L :gaah:

Wait a minute brother, I can't have you talking about my man Monte Towe like that because without his high lobs to my main man David Thompson, David couldn't have gotten his change on the top of the backboard by leaving a quarter and picking up two dimes and a nickel before he came back down to the floor.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute brother, I can't have you talking about my man Monte Towe like that because without his high lobs to my main man David Thompson, David couldn't have gotten his change on the top of the backboard by leaving a quarter and picking up two dimes and a nickel before he came back down to the floor.
:pound::pound::pound::pound: If anything it was reluctant praise for Towe, but DT was the real thing and I followed his career from the moment that I first saw him play until his off-court demons cut that career short. I don't know if you guys remember this or not but DT introduced Jordan when MJ was inducted into the HOF. I remember clearly thinking to myself, 'what a fitting person to do that because Thompson was Jordan+ before Mike became all the rage.'

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound::pound::pound::pound: If anything it was reluctant praise for Towe, but DT was the real thing and I followed his career from the moment that I first saw him play until his off-court demons cut that career short. I don't know if you guys remember this or not but DT introduced Jordan when MJ was inducted into the HOF. I remember clearly thinking to myself, 'what a fitting person to do that because Thompson was Jordan+ before Mike became all the rage.'

You guys know that I'm going to keep chiming in as long as you keep bringing up great memories from the past.

Towe: A pit bull scared of nothing as evidenced by a chipped front tooth from diving for loose balls on the floor. Listed at 5'8" in the program he wasn't a speck over 5'6" tall but built like a freight train.

Jordan: Best NBA player to come out of the ACC and anywhere else for that matter. Sorry LeBron.

Thompson: Best ACC player ever, only because Dean Smith would only allow Jordan to average 19 ppg. with his team scoring concept with Worthy and Perkins getting their points too. When NC State won their first national championship in 1974 Thompson had a 44" vertical jump which was unheard of at that time. Todays sky walkers go much higher than 44". Thompson was on his way to becoming one of the NBA's greatest players too until he started making bad decisions with his personal life and became addicted to drugs and other bad habits. He later straightened his life out and worked in the front office for the Charlotte Hornets and he is now seen frequently at NC State home games as one of their biggest cheerleaders.

Many people have forgotten this but the 1974 NC State national championship team had a forward by the name of Tim Stoddard who went on to become one of the great pitching closers in major league baseball.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that maryland team in 74 was a great team as well . i think they had lucas , elmore and mcmillan

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that maryland team in 74 was a great team as well . i think they had lucas , elmore and mcmillan

That 1974 Maryland team was better than great and as I have told sportster I still don't know how NC State beat them in the greatest ACC game ever played.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know that I'm going to keep chiming in as long as you keep bringing up great memories from the past.

Towe: A pit bull scared of nothing as evidenced by a chipped front tooth from diving for loose balls on the floor. Listed at 5'8" in the program he wasn't a speck over 5'6" tall but built like a freight train.

Jordan: Best NBA player to come out of the ACC and anywhere else for that matter. Sorry LeBron.

Thompson: Best ACC player ever, only because Dean Smith would only allow Jordan to average 19 ppg. with his team scoring concept with Worthy and Perkins getting their points too. When NC State won their first national championship in 1974 Thompson had a 44" vertical jump which was unheard of at that time. Todays sky walkers go much higher than 44". Thompson was on his way to becoming one of the NBA's greatest players too until he started making bad decisions with his personal life and became addicted to drugs and other bad habits. He later straightened his life out and worked in the front office for the Charlotte Hornets and he is now seen frequently at NC State home games as one of their biggest cheerleaders.

Many people have forgotten this but the 1974 NC State national championship team had a forward by the name of Tim Stoddard who went on to become one of the great pitching closers in major league baseball.
Towe was a PIA and I say that out of respect. Damned good PG. He had a couple of guys to get the ball to.

I can't prove it but if Bias had lived MJ might have been the 2nd greatest. He could do everything Jordan could do, was a better shooter than Jordan was in college and was bigger in every way. Playing with Bird .... look out!!! We'll never know.

Thompson and Big Red were probably the two greatest college players.

I remember Stoddard pitching, closing if I remember correctly. I thought I remembered him pitching in Baltimore and just looked it up ... 6 years as an Oriole.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Towe was a PIA and I say that out of respect. Damned good PG. He had a couple of guys to get the ball to.

I can't prove it but if Bias had lived MJ might have been the 2nd greatest. He could do everything Jordan could do, was a better shooter than Jordan was in college and was bigger in every way. Playing with Bird .... look out!!! We'll never know.

Thompson and Big Red were probably the two greatest college players.

I remember Stoddard pitching, closing if I remember correctly. I thought I remembered him pitching in Baltimore and just looked it up ... 6 years as an Oriole.

Like you, I will always wonder how great Bias could have become because he had it all as far as basketball ability is concerned. So sad!

Stoddard was a great closer in MLB so you remember correctly.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all of you who I have had the privilege of getting to know over the past few years you know that my game was and still is baseball so I want to share something with you that has never happened before which is about to happen.

Opening day in major league baseball is less than a week away on April 1st, which is like Christmas Day to me. On April 1st, three pitchers, who were all 1st round draft choices, are scheduled to start on opening day for their respective teams. Nothing earth shaking so far, right? Now get this, all three of these pitchers pitched for Harvard-Westlake High School in Los Angeles, California AT THE SAME TIME just a few years ago. As a former hitter I can only imagine how difficult it would have been facing this team in a high school conference game.

The three pitchers are:

Jack Flaherty - St. Louis Cardinals
Max Fried - Atlanta Braves
Lucas Giblito - Chicago White Sox

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best tournament plays ever