• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transition tag just gives the team the right to match the contract, I believe.
This is correct. No compensation if you don't match. The Bengals will probably never use this strategy again - Given that they are uneasy about some of the contractual hoops that other teams like to feature (future year guarantees, voidable years, etc), it would be too easy for a team to include a poison pill that would make it impossible for the Bengals to match and keep their conservative philosophy.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transition tag just gives the team the right to match the contract, I believe.
Hmm..I guess that would be right. And if we don't match it, he walks for free. He has the right to choose to stay or leave at that point, but what team would take that chance. Well, franchise it is.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm..I guess that would be right. And if we don't match it, he walks for free. He has the right to choose to stay or leave at that point, but what team would take that chance. Well, franchise it is.
Right.

Gives the Bengals a chance to match, but if they don't - then they don't get anything in return.

Bengals have enough room to simply tag Higgins. They could work out a trade - I wouldn't be opposed to this - but I think we'll see Higgins for 1 more year in some way/shape/form contractually - and then he'll likely walk next year.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.

Gives the Bengals a chance to match, but if they don't - then they don't get anything in return.

Bengals have enough room to simply tag Higgins. They could work out a trade - I wouldn't be opposed to this - but I think we'll see Higgins for 1 more year in some way/shape/form contractually - and then he'll likely walk next year.
Tee is only 24 years old. I wonder if a case could be made to him to sign a 3 year deal with a lot of upfront money and full injury guarantee. For him, he'd get a big payday and still have another FA period as a 28 year old receiver in his prime. For the Bengals, they'd keep the band together and absorb the costs before the big cap hits come for Burrow or Chase.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, people think now that we don't need burrow now that we have jake browning.

it's nice that we managed to pull out some games in the easiest part of our season with browning. if we don't start the season ready to go, with a healthy roster, and win the games we should be winning based on talent, then forget it.

furthermore, burrow needs to be healthy for a good super bowl run.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, people think now that we don't need burrow now that we have jake browning.

it's nice that we managed to pull out some games in the easiest part of our season with browning. if we don't start the season ready to go, with a healthy roster, and win the games we should be winning based on talent, then forget it.

furthermore, burrow needs to be healthy for a good super bowl run.
Jake Browning is a fantastic QB and deserves a chance to be a starting QB somewhere outside the AFC. haha Joe Burrow is the Cincinnati Bengals, and will be hopefully until he decides to retire. Burrow is every bit as accurate, but he just seems more clutch, tougher and a better overall leader in general. Browning has a ton of those characteristics and it sure didn't hurt watching Burrow for a couple years. However, Burrow is our QB for better or worse.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Browning is a fantastic QB and deserves a chance to be a starting QB somewhere outside the AFC. haha Joe Burrow is the Cincinnati Bengals, and will be hopefully until he decides to retire. Burrow is every bit as accurate, but he just seems more clutch, tougher and a better overall leader in general. Browning has a ton of those characteristics and it sure didn't hurt watching Burrow for a couple years. However, Burrow is our QB for better or worse.
maybe Jake Browning can be the next Baker Mayfield.

I think some QBs get lost in bad systems though. it's not always just the QBs fault. there are plenty of NFL clubs that are basically just throwing things on the wall and hoping that something sticks.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe Jake Browning can be the next Baker Mayfield.

I think some QBs get lost in bad systems though. it's not always just the QBs fault. there are plenty of NFL clubs that are basically just throwing things on the wall and hoping that something sticks.
Is that possible since Baker was #1 overall, and Browning wasn't even drafted? I mean, while I think Mayfield has been good, especially against us, Browning has showed a lot of of talent and accuracy for a guy who didn't even get drafted. At this point, if I had the choice between either of those guys and price wasn't a factor, I would still choose Browning I think.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tee is only 24 years old. I wonder if a case could be made to him to sign a 3 year deal with a lot of upfront money and full injury guarantee. For him, he'd get a big payday and still have another FA period as a 28 year old receiver in his prime. For the Bengals, they'd keep the band together and absorb the costs before the big cap hits come for Burrow or Chase.
Certainly possible. You also don't "have" to extend Chase this off-season. It's just the 1st year he's eligible. Cheaper to get him done now, for sure...but I mean...it's not a "must".

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that possible since Baker was #1 overall, and Browning wasn't even drafted? I mean, while I think Mayfield has been good, especially against us, Browning has showed a lot of of talent and accuracy for a guy who didn't even get drafted. At this point, if I had the choice between either of those guys and price wasn't a factor, I would still choose Browning I think.
I don't know. I like Browning and appreciate what he did for the franchise. But, I have some questions about how well he would do if he had more tape on him. He was at his best playing teams that played more man and came after him on the blitz. He escapes the pocket well and he's accurate in his throws. But, against Pittsburgh (x2) he had a lot of trouble getting the ball out on time against a team that played a lot of zone and could get home with 4. Against KC, he had less luck in the second half when they sat back in zone more and stopped leaving the middle of the field open to scramble. Even against Indy (who played mostly zone), his big plays came more on screens than passes down field. I guess my fear with him is that he's limited in arm strength and he is slow to make decisions when facing more complex coverages.

Mayfield confuses me. He was a very accurate passer coming out of college. He has a nice arm. He got injured in that 2021 season and ended up playing careless while trying to play through it. Then he played for a couple of teams without big-time receiving threats. This year he got to play for Tampa with a healthy Godwin and Evans and he threw for 4K and 28 TDs. My guess is that if he were throwing to Higgins and Chase, he'd look better than Browning.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I like Browning and appreciate what he did for the franchise. But, I have some questions about how well he would do if he had more tape on him. He was at his best playing teams that played more man and came after him on the blitz. He escapes the pocket well and he's accurate in his throws. But, against Pittsburgh (x2) he had a lot of trouble getting the ball out on time against a team that played a lot of zone and could get home with 4. Against KC, he had less luck in the second half when they sat back in zone more and stopped leaving the middle of the field open to scramble. Even against Indy (who played mostly zone), his big plays came more on screens than passes down field. I guess my fear with him is that he's limited in arm strength and he is slow to make decisions when facing more complex coverages.

Mayfield confuses me. He was a very accurate passer coming out of college. He has a nice arm. He got injured in that 2021 season and ended up playing careless while trying to play through it. Then he played for a couple of teams without big-time receiving threats. This year he got to play for Tampa with a healthy Godwin and Evans and he threw for 4K and 28 TDs. My guess is that if he were throwing to Higgins and Chase, he'd look better than Browning.
Maybe. But I like what I saw from Browning. Mayfield has also been playing consistently for years in the starting lineup as a first overall pick. Browning wasn't drafted and sat for 4 to 5 years on the bench with no game time. I think it would take a little time of playing to really start seeing and understanding what is happening on an NFL field. He has 4 to 5 years of rust to knock off. Plus, Pittsburgh is one of the toughest defenses in the NFL to make a living off of, ask Burrow.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, if Browning didn't get injured in the middle of college, he probably would have been drafted high enough for teams to regard him as worthy. He was headed that direction.

he had surgery his sophmore year and people started to notice a decline in his ability, but he kept playing and still doing rather well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Callahan getting tons of interest...I think there are at least 5 teams interviewing him for a HC spot...Good for him.

Would seem that Taylor is going to need to have a few names for OC in his back pocket.

As for Lou - got a little run last year - but I think his age, being a 1st time HC, and being a DC (I think harder to break through here than if you are a OC) play against him - unless he had a long stretch of highly successful defenses. I do think he'd make a good HC, personally, but I'll be happy if he's resigned to staying in Cincinnati for another few years.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, if Browning didn't get injured in the middle of college, he probably would have been drafted high enough for teams to regard him as worthy. He was headed that direction.

he had surgery his sophmore year and people started to notice a decline in his ability, but he kept playing and still doing rather well.
I think most scouts wrote him off because he was just fortunate to play with the legendary John Ross.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Callahan getting tons of interest...I think there are at least 5 teams interviewing him for a HC spot...Good for him.

Would seem that Taylor is going to need to have a few names for OC in his back pocket.

As for Lou - got a little run last year - but I think his age, being a 1st time HC, and being a DC (I think harder to break through here than if you are a OC) play against him - unless he had a long stretch of highly successful defenses. I do think he'd make a good HC, personally, but I'll be happy if he's resigned to staying in Cincinnati for another few years.
I'm not surprised with Callahan. That recent player poll where he landed in the top 5 probably gives at least some insight into how players view his abilities. That doesn't move the needle in isolation but it's a data point in the bigger picture. You also look at the way the Bengals offense adapted this year to life without Burrow, or even last year to early season struggles and you have to give the guy some credit for their success. I will also say that as much as Taylor and Callahan frustrate us, they have been one of the least penalized teams in every season they play. So, I think you would say they are well prepared. Now, if someone could just help them identify linemen or explain to them that their linemen need to be more athletic, we'd really be cooking with gas.....

If Callahan goes, it will almost certainly be Pitcher as OC. And if Callahan stays, I could see Pitcher being hired as OC somewhere.... Everything I have read has said that his name has emerged as a guy that will be an OC and maybe a HC in the future.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised with Callahan. That recent player poll where he landed in the top 5 probably gives at least some insight into how players view his abilities. That doesn't move the needle in isolation but it's a data point in the bigger picture. You also look at the way the Bengals offense adapted this year to life without Burrow, or even last year to early season struggles and you have to give the guy some credit for their success. I will also say that as much as Taylor and Callahan frustrate us, they have been one of the least penalized teams in every season they play. So, I think you would say they are well prepared. Now, if someone could just help them identify linemen or explain to them that their linemen need to be more athletic, we'd really be cooking with gas.....

If Callahan goes, it will almost certainly be Pitcher as OC. And if Callahan stays, I could see Pitcher being hired as OC somewhere.... Everything I have read has said that his name has emerged as a guy that will be an OC and maybe a HC in the future.
Agreed.

Where a lot of my frustration lies is more with how the run game is/isn't utilized. Maybe that's a part of Mixon not being good enough, but then that also lands at their feet for not upgrading an obvious weakness, and with not having more consistency with the talent on offense.

I get that it's a QB league, and this team has Burrow/Chase and (currently) Higgins - but at the same time - this team has got to be able to by more diverse to keep defenses honest. Where they run into issues is consistency with drives. This offense has more 3-out and short drives than it should with the talent on the field. I'm not saying they should be scoring 35ppg, but scoring 20, or less, shouldn't really be a thing. 6 times in '22 they scored 20 or less. Seems like that is high considering...but maybe I'm nitpicking a bit...but again, with Burrow, Chase, Higgins - I would think 3 TD's a game is pretty much the norm...not getting to that mark nearly 33% of the games played, again, seems...high.

I used last year because Healthy Burrow - but if you added this year that number jumps to 14 total games 20 or less points. Out of 37. That's going to be nearing 38%. Again - seems high with the talent...though this year clearly had many reasons for that...

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that this team, with this talent, should be in the top 5 in scoring...that would put them at 27-29 PPG. This year they averaged 21. That's a TD less per game than Dallas and Miami - who I think you can reasonably compare talent to on offense at QB and WR's. Now, last year they did finish 7(26ppg) but still behind the top teams like KC and Buff both at 29.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might as well let Callahan go, he isn't even allowed to call plays so there has to be something wrong there.

I wonder if he'll call plays at his next job, lol.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might as well let Callahan go, he isn't even allowed to call plays so there has to be something wrong there.

I wonder if he'll call plays at his next job, lol.
That's the way it goes now. Matt Lafleur didn't call plays for the Rams. Neither did O'Connell (Vikes coach) or Mike McDonald (Dolphins coach) or Taylor .... My guess is that Callahan will call plays when he is head coach.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated cap -

Bengals expected to have almost $70Mafter adjustments. That's good for 7th in the NFL in cap space. If they cut Mixon and Nic Scott and they can get to $80M, and 3rd. I expect them to dump Scott. He couldn't get on the field despite the young guys struggling. A rare whiff in F/A (along with Smith at TE).

For divisional reference - Bmore has just $5M in space. Pit is almost $7M over, and Cleveland is almost $14M over. While we all know the cap is fungable - there will have to be some moves made here and there and that can limit them in other areas. For Pitt and Bmore - QB questions abound....

Bengals with a ton of room to make some moves - and still likely could accelerate some of the big money from Burrow/Chase into this coming year and free up more space in the future depending on how F/A goes.

I expect them to tag Higgins. I expect them to make a run to keep Reader. Sample/Hudson likely get contracts and then look for another F/A TE (Gesicki, Fant, Schultz are all good targets). There isn't, currently, a huge market for RT - if they don't make a run at Williams - I would expect this to be the #1 priority in the draft.

The rest of the f/a draft is going to be geared on depth along the lines and in the secondary, IMO.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plug FA holes at S, TE, DT. Need at least 2 starters here.

Draft RT, DT, CB. Possibly WR.

Trenches trenches trenches. This team has to get more physical. Let Tee walk if you have to. I’d rather have a badass DL and better protection than overpay a bunch of WRs.