• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Question Of The Day.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems I picked a bad example using lowes
Mehh some people might have missed the intent of your post. Do they do it because they really care or is it some advertising gig? I too get 10% off every purchase

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate your remark, but there are a a bazillion people out there who would vehemently argue with you.
I never served and never wanted to serve. I didn't grow out at a time of war so the valor associated with serving wasn't as strong as other periods, however...

I appreciate those who did on a few different levels..

1) Some served because they didn't have much direction and needed to do something...

Damn, they could have farted around and done nothing but instead did something that at least moved them forward.

2) Some served because they wanted an education paid for the experience certain responsibilities in the military can offer.

I always applaud anyone with goals and a plan

3) Some served because they did see the valor and wanted to serve and defend their country.

This one speaks for itself.

4) Some served because they didn't have a choice.

No choice and most in this position did so with honor.

Certainly none of the above were a quick route to a fortune and required a lot of had work and perseverance.

Those bazillion people may not appreciate the need for military and complain about what, where and why the military was deployed. None of it has to do with the individuals who worked hard for little more than a great opportunity to better themselves and in the process, whether agreeing about the purpose or not, providing a public service.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never served and never wanted to serve. I didn't grow out at a time of war so the valor associated with serving wasn't as strong as other periods, however...

I appreciate those who did on a few different levels..

1) Some served because they didn't have much direction and needed to do something...

Damn, they could have farted around and done nothing but instead did something that at least moved them forward.

2) Some served because they wanted an education paid for the experience certain responsibilities in the military can offer.

I always applaud anyone with goals and a plan

3) Some served because they did see the valor and wanted to serve and defend their country.

This one speaks for itself.

4) Some served because they didn't have a choice.

No choice and most in this position did so with honor.

Certainly none of the above were a quick route to a fortune and required a lot of had work and perseverance.

Those bazillion people may not appreciate the need for military and complain about what, where and why the military was deployed. None of it has to do with the individuals who worked hard for little more than a great opportunity to better themselves and in the process, whether agreeing about the purpose or not, providing a public service.
I was # 1 and 2 plus the guaranteed VA loan

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got drafted.

In 1968, if you were not attending a college or trade school, you got drafted. I never knew how poor my family was until July 5, 1968. We couldn't pull $200 together to pay for the first semester at Southern Maine Vocational Technical Institute in South Portland. I got a jiob working for NE Wheel of Maine, a parts store for heavy rigs. I was making decent money. $1.25 an hour. Ever pick up a hub and drum assembly for a Mank or a Freightliner? Anyway, I got the later the day after the fourth and was told to report August 1. I didn't want to go to Vietnam so I join the Navy, The rest is history. Didn't see much from December until I came back in March. We cold catted an A-$ and ran over it, wrecking a 12 foot propand going into dry dock to repair it for 2 weeks. I didn't have any leave , so I went to Flight Crew School and got my Crew Wings.

We all went for different reasons and we made the best out of what was available. It's a life lesson. You can bitch and moan and whine or you can suck it up and move forward.

Like the Reb. I got a college degree and VA Loans. I also got messed up and have retired because my combat disability has allowed me to do so. Not something I'd recommend, but it's worked for me. Others are not so fortunate.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The plane was an A-4

Dry Dock was 12 weeks.

Bad hands day.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My draft number at 18 a year before eligibility, was 365. The year of my eligibility it cam up #24. My home town called up 1-75 the 1st day.
I got a medical deferrment because I had surgery on my shoulder.
A year later, I had lost several friends to Viet Nam. I enlisted out of duty.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I joined the summer after HS. Didn't know what I wanted to do when I grew up? I still don't.

My dad dropped me off at the recruiter station the day I was scheduled to enter the Army. My dad who had served in both the Army and Navy looked me in the eyes and said you're going to be a lifer. In my typical Boston young punk attitute I gave him the psshhhhhttt you don't know anything.

27 years later I retired. I only wished he was still around to see it.

Everyone enjoy your Memorial Day. Remember those no longer with us. Have a cold one or extra hot dog for them. Stay safe.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I joined the summer after HS. Didn't know what I wanted to do when I grew up? I still don't.

My dad dropped me off at the recruiter station the day I was scheduled to enter the Army. My dad who had served in both the Army and Navy looked me in the eyes and said you're going to be a lifer. In my typical Boston young punk attitute I gave him the psshhhhhttt you don't know anything.

Everyone enjoy your Memorial Day. Remember those no longer with us. Have a cold one or extra hot dog for them. Stay safe.
My son graduates next weekend.
With high honors.
So damn proud of him

I hope I am around 27 years from now.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you for your service.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son graduates next weekend.
With high honors.
So damn proud of him

I hope I am around 27 years from now.
Congratulations!
I have raised 3 successful, functional, loviing, kids. They all have kids of their own. I'm a lot closer to the end than the beginning but I have no idea what milestone I will enjot best - should I make it. 1st grandchild graduates? 1st child retires? 1st great grandchild? Give me more time and I'll come up with more goals. Until then, let us all enjoy the blessings that our children bring us and many more that we don't expect!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were Hiroshima and Nagasaki necessary to end the war or was the US just sending a message to the world?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were Hiroshima and Nagasaki necessary to end the war or was the US just sending a message to the world?
I wasn't there so I can't say for sure.

My earliest understanding was 100s of thousands of lives were projected to be lost on an invasion of Japan. The civilians were being programmed to fight until the end so the loss to humanity would have been immeasurable.

I later "learned" the Russians were slicing through any Japanese resistance to the east with ease and between that and the US domination of the southern and western waters, the end was inevitable. But for whatever reason the Japanese feared the Russians more, probably because they would have happily fought to the end... The Japanese had already decided the war wasn't winnable and fighting to the end wasn't a deterrent so surrender was the only reasonable option.

If the second part is actually true then Hiroshima and Nagasaki was two messages to the Russians. First, WE won this part of the war. Two, look what we can do.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't there so I can't say for sure.

My earliest understanding was 100s of thousands of lives were projected to be lost on an invasion of Japan. The civilians were being programmed to fight until the end so the loss to humanity would have been immeasurable.

I later "learned" the Russians were slicing through any Japanese resistance to the east with ease and between that and the US domination of the southern and western waters, the end was inevitable. But for whatever reason the Japanese feared the Russians more, probably because they would have happily fought to the end... The Japanese had already decided the war wasn't winnable and fighting to the end wasn't a deterrent so surrender was the only reasonable option.

If the second part is actually true then Hiroshima and Nagasaki was two messages to the Russians. First, WE won this part of the war. Two, look what we can do.
I feel pretty much the same. I feel the war would have ended soon, with the ally powers able to converge on Japan, which would have happened no matter how dug in Japan would have been done. Using the bombs IMO was the wake call to the world, "WE are the Super Power"! Operation Paper Clip made that possible. It was a show of might and the US knew full well they could financially break Russia which is why they were not worried about a military build up. They made one tank, we made five, the made one carrier, we made three.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to actual documentation, the bomb was going to originally be dropped on Berlin. Problems with the bomb instead had thousands of Americans die on June 6, 1944. The invasion of Normandy gave the time to work out the kinks and Tokyo would have been the target if the weather had cooperated. Japan refused to surrender after Hiroshima so Nagasaki took the second blow and the Emperor folded his tent. This is where the U.S. has failed itself in war. The Emperor refused to been seen and sign the the surrender papers and hid in the palace. If Truman had done things right, he would have blown the shit out of that palace and Dragged the Emperor's ass out onto the street and then to the ship and made him sign or cut his arms off. Instead they let him live the rest of his life like nothing ever happened.

By the way, I've been to Nagasaki. Not being able to live where atomic bombs have exploded is a myth. Nagasaki has been beautifully rebuilt and the people are wonderful. I was there 25 years after it was bombed. There are still some memorials of the event. Some extremely weird shit that bomb caused is still on display today.

I still can't understand why we never developed a rail system like Japan's. I took the 'Bullet' from Yakuska to Ngasaki and from Sasebo to Tokyo. Nothing like a smooth ride at 125 mph point to point.