• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I really hope and pray that JS impresses this draft. Not ready to give up on him yet but I am having plenty of doubts.
We will find out if the draft shenanigans were mostly on carroll, which is my true hope of hopes. I have a feeling its not though, I expect trade downs and quantity over quality, missing out on a few guys who will end up being good players.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will find out if the draft shenanigans were mostly on carroll, which is my true hope of hopes. I have a feeling its not though, I expect trade downs and quantity over quality, missing out on a few guys who will end up being good players.

Given that we don't have a 2nd, I think trading down in the 1st is a pretty good idea. Unless someone falls to us that is simply too good to pass up.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the additions of Baker and Dotson at LB, but why only a one year contract for both of them? Would or could a longer contract be he had with out much more guaranteed money? IDK but I want to think it would be possible. As it stands if they do well the Seahawks will have to decide between paying up or finding the next candidates. Is this a winning strategy? IDK seems to me if JS thinks these guys are players with upside the best way to is sign them for more then a year, but without a lot of guaranteed money. Wondering what you all feel about this.

I think there was a case for the 1 year from both sides that benefitted both parties.

From Seattle's POV:
Baker is coming off an injury and Dotson looked amazing last year but it was only for a handful of games as a starter. I think this is a little bit of "Prove it first and then you can get paid." from Seattle. And Seattle may still have different plans at ILB or want the flexibility next year (like if they draft one this year).

From Baker/Dotson and their Agent's POV:
Just do the 1 year, there's a chance you'll do REALLY well with MacDonald who got a lot out of Baltimore's defense (and Queen), and then next year we'll find you a new home with a fat stack of guaranteed money.

Queen kind of set the market and it seemed like there wasn't a big demand for ILB this year (or teams weren't paying for it). Queen got around $14M per but only $13M guaranteed for 3 years. I assume Baker/Dotson were not going to command anything relevant for where they were and I also don't think they were interested in signing a longer term contract with no guaranteed and a low amount. Better to do the 1 year deal and boost your own stock to get a much larger/better deal in 2025. Course they might both suck or get a major injury, at which point Seattle would just cut em' anyway lol.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that we don't have a 2nd, I think trading down in the 1st is a pretty good idea. Unless someone falls to us that is simply too good to pass up.
Ill be shocked if we dont trade down in round one, but just once or multiple trade downs? We will see.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we can trade down in the first into the mid 20's and pick up a 2nd I will be happy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can trade down in the first into the mid 20's and pick up a 2nd I will be happy.

For me the only player that I would bummed they didn't get would be Fauntanu but I'd be ok with missing out on him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This early can't put much stock in projections but it does sort of reflect how the roster stands right now (prior to the draft).

Well...

The offense hasn't changed at all outside of losing two shitty guards and a shitty Center.... Grubb is new to the NFL but I can't see how he's much worse than Waldron... so... that's basically unchanged. TEs basically stayed the same (Parkinson and Dissly whatever)... Brown and Lewis sucked ass so whoever we replace that with is a wash, and Bradford sucked ass as well but he was a rookie so hopefully there's improvement. Nothing changes here.

The defense literally couldn't get much worse. They were 3rd in 3rd down conversion allowed, a bottom 10 in points allowed, a bottom 3 in yards allowed, and the worst time of possession allowed in the NFL. The amount of times teams spent 7 minutes moving down the field and still scored was absolutely maddening. Meanwhile they replaced that with two ILBs that can actually cover, an actual NT for running downs, safeties that replaced the two worst and overpaid starting safeties in the league.... how does this get worse?

Special teams hasn't changed at all, really... although with the rule changes if now accuracy and pinpointing something is significant, I bet Dickson may slot in.

So... they got 9-8... with a HARDER SOS (prior to the season) compared to 2024.. where they are bottom 10 in strength of schedule. They also did that with a number of 1-2 year guys that will in theory improve going into years 2-3. Does anyone wanna tell me how this makes sense? Seattle was LUCKY in 2023? LUCKY to get 9-8? Well okay... but you're gauging they are going to be worse because they will not be lucky? Whatever.

Frankly DraftKings is a fuckin' joke. I get there's a new head coach (although he has former head coach Frazier helping), but Seattle didn't 'blow up' their roster. They got rid of two safeties who were the worst in the league, a linebacker that couldn't cover for shit, a guard who was mailing it in and overpaid by Carolina, a future HOF ILB granted but who is on borrowed time... and a bunch of other nobody injury prone players...

I get these sites can't study every team... but that analysis is just absolutely ass. Assuming health, there's zero reason Seattle can't compete for a playoff spot.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

The offense hasn't changed at all outside of losing two shitty guards and a shitty Center.... Grubb is new to the NFL but I can't see how he's much worse than Waldron... so... that's basically unchanged. TEs basically stayed the same (Parkinson and Dissly whatever)... Brown and Lewis sucked ass so whoever we replace that with is a wash, and Bradford sucked ass as well but he was a rookie so hopefully there's improvement. Nothing changes here.

The defense literally couldn't get much worse. They were 3rd in 3rd down conversion allowed, a bottom 10 in points allowed, a bottom 3 in yards allowed, and the worst time of possession allowed in the NFL. The amount of times teams spent 7 minutes moving down the field and still scored was absolutely maddening. Meanwhile they replaced that with two ILBs that can actually cover, an actual NT for running downs, safeties that replaced the two worst and overpaid starting safeties in the league.... how does this get worse?

Special teams hasn't changed at all, really... although with the rule changes if now accuracy and pinpointing something is significant, I bet Dickson may slot in.

So... they got 9-8... with a HARDER SOS (prior to the season) compared to 2024.. where they are bottom 10 in strength of schedule. They also did that with a number of 1-2 year guys that will in theory improve going into years 2-3. Does anyone wanna tell me how this makes sense? Seattle was LUCKY in 2023? LUCKY to get 9-8? Well okay... but you're gauging they are going to be worse because they will not be lucky? Whatever.

Frankly DraftKings is a fuckin' joke. I get there's a new head coach (although he has former head coach Frazier helping), but Seattle didn't 'blow up' their roster. They got rid of two safeties who were the worst in the league, a linebacker that couldn't cover for shit, a guard who was mailing it in and overpaid by Carolina, a future HOF ILB granted but who is on borrowed time... and a bunch of other nobody injury prone players...

I get these sites can't study every team... but that analysis is just absolutely ass. Assuming health, there's zero reason Seattle can't compete for a playoff spot.
After the draft we'll have a better idea how the roster looks. However the defense was 30th in giving up yards last season and the additions made so far on defense are more in the promising but not yet proven variety and thus were signed to relatively cheap one year contracts. I think the D will look better after the draft and of course we all are banking on the new staff to get more out of the players that was gotten last year.
On offense pretty much the entire line (other then Cross) is a question mark as Lucas health has been up in the air and basically no explanation of the injury other then it's his knee. There were rumors of it being degenerative. Lockett and Geno nearing the end of their careers.
The division isn't exactly a cupcake either. Would of been a perfect draft to have lots of day one and day two draft capitol because the top 50 is frigging loaded with really good prospects.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blast from the past with Luke Willson filling in for KJ. Kind of a feel good video, decent watch.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

After the draft we'll have a better idea how the roster looks. However the defense was 30th in giving up yards last season and the additions made so far on defense are more in the promising but not yet proven variety and thus were signed to relatively cheap one year contracts. I think the D will look better after the draft and of course we all are banking on the new staff to get more out of the players that was gotten last year.
On offense pretty much the entire line (other then Cross) is a question mark as Lucas health has been up in the air and basically no explanation of the injury other then it's his knee. There were rumors of it being degenerative. Lockett and Geno nearing the end of their careers.
The division isn't exactly a cupcake either. Would of been a perfect draft to have lots of day one and day two draft capitol because the top 50 is frigging loaded with really good prospects.

Too be clear I like some of the additions. Baker and Dotson sound like they got some potential, the fact the JS only signed them for a season sort of brings me back to earth when thinking about the potential impact. Hankins could be a big help in run defense ( but he is 32) and Rayshawn Jenkins seems like he could be solid addition.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too be clear I like some of the additions. Baker and Dotson sound like they got some potential, the fact the JS only signed them for a season sort of brings me back to earth when thinking about the potential impact. Hankins could be a big help in run defense ( but he is 32) and Rayshawn Jenkins seems like he could be solid addition.

I think that the one year deal part could be more driven by the player than the team. The Seahawks got both of them at a pretty good price and it is possible that they both think that they could get much bigger contracts if they do well in Seattle.

The Seahawks originally signed Michael Bennett to a 1 year deal.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the one year deal part could be more driven by the player than the team. The Seahawks got both of them at a pretty good price and it is possible that they both think that they could get much bigger contracts if they do well in Seattle.

The Seahawks originally signed Michael Bennett to a 1 year deal.

I made this same point in Off-season news 2024

I think their agents were like, "Go to Seattle but only sign a 1 year contract, they still have a lot of talent on their D (explained below), MacDonald turned Queen around big time and is a defensive mastermind... they have an easy SOS... and then we'll get your big contract in 2025, whether with Seattle or a team that wants to overpay." And I guarantee you MacDonald and Seattle FO 'gets that' and the agent and players would be fully transparent on it. It also benefits Seattle in that it fills multiple holes, allows them to draft BPA... and not have to force moves and buy them a year more - while also acquiring 2 guys that are going to give it their all and if Seattle goes 11-6 or something, attracting free agents is even easier - ESPECIALLY with a new head coach. It's beneficial to both sides.

On the D. I think most of us agree that our D underperformed with the talent we had. We still have a lot of talent. Williams is good (not elite, but good), Jones can be good, Mafe is an up and coming star, Nwosu is a good EDGE (he was PFFs top 10 EDGE or so until Seattle started WAY overusing him), Witherspoon is looking good, Woolen is good (so what if he can't tackle, scheme him where he doesn't have to. He's still a top 25 CB in coverage), Love is a perfectly capable safety. Hall is a near 1st round pick that Carroll couldn't figure out how to use. I mean I don't want to go into the whole Carroll/Hurt thing again and how they didn't know WTF they were doing or how to scheme players.... so.... I won't :)

So there's a lot of upside with Seattle's D. Baker/Dotson are not going into some train wreck of a defense. "But a new coach" blah blah blah. A new coach that might run a shit offense, but the defense should be good.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made this same point in Off-season news 2024

I think their agents were like, "Go to Seattle but only sign a 1 year contract, they still have a lot of talent on their D (explained below), MacDonald turned Queen around big time and is a defensive mastermind... they have an easy SOS... and then we'll get your big contract in 2025, whether with Seattle or a team that wants to overpay." And I guarantee you MacDonald and Seattle FO 'gets that' and the agent and players would be fully transparent on it. It also benefits Seattle in that it fills multiple holes, allows them to draft BPA... and not have to force moves and buy them a year more - while also acquiring 2 guys that are going to give it their all and if Seattle goes 11-6 or something, attracting free agents is even easier - ESPECIALLY with a new head coach. It's beneficial to both sides.

On the D. I think most of us agree that our D underperformed with the talent we had. We still have a lot of talent. Williams is good (not elite, but good), Jones can be good, Mafe is an up and coming star, Nwosu is a good EDGE (he was PFFs top 10 EDGE or so until Seattle started WAY overusing him), Witherspoon is looking good, Woolen is good (so what if he can't tackle, scheme him where he doesn't have to. He's still a top 25 CB in coverage), Love is a perfectly capable safety. Hall is a near 1st round pick that Carroll couldn't figure out how to use. I mean I don't want to go into the whole Carroll/Hurt thing again and how they didn't know WTF they were doing or how to scheme players.... so.... I won't :)

So there's a lot of upside with Seattle's D. Baker/Dotson are not going into some train wreck of a defense. "But a new coach" blah blah blah. A new coach that might run a shit offense, but the defense should be good.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Ultimately we are going to find out how much this defense struggled due to talent versus scheme this season. I think it is very possible that Macdonald comes in here and turns this defense around and looks like a magician. But it is also possible that the talent is fool's gold and not nearly as good as we think it is.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks add a vet to the OL:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlinson was pretty good for San Fran and Detroit... he was TERRIBLE at the Jets but it's the Jets... so.... I like it. Brings some veteran presence to the OL which it desperately needs. You could argue Peters was a vet, but Peters wasn't playing for any sustained activity... he was a 1 year rental lol.

He's 32... I imagine this is a bit of insurance policy in the event some rare talent falls in the draft or Seattle wants a QB.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlinson was pretty good for San Fran and Detroit... he was TERRIBLE at the Jets but it's the Jets... so.... I like it. Brings some veteran presence to the OL which it desperately needs. You could argue Peters was a vet, but Peters wasn't playing for any sustained activity... he was a 1 year rental lol.

He's 32... I imagine this is a bit of insurance policy in the event some rare talent falls in the draft or Seattle wants a QB.
Bit of insurance and a bit of depth I guess. Really curious to see what the Seahawks do in the draft. While I feel they'll be interested in trading back I'm not sure they can swing a deal that works for them. Sticking and picking means making a hard decision because by the time they draft in round 3 the board starts looking depleted of starting quality . So what will they do with pick 16 ? Stud OL like Fautanu? Stud DT like Murphy or Newton? Maybe Verse or Latu? Penix if he's still on the board? I wish the Seahawks still had their second round pick, it would provide so much more flexibility, options and quality to the draft overall. The fact that there are a half dozen options at pick 16 could mean teams may feel they can hold tight and hope one of them falls to them.