• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Obversations from Eagles/Packers

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... I also saw the Arizona game (and a few others of them)... I have also seen how the rest of the NFC has been... As said before, the Eagles being contenders (at least within the NFC) is as much an indictment of the NFC as a whole as a compliment to the Eagles.

No way we beat the Packers (1 outta 10 maybe) at the Linc or Lambeau. Footballs as much about matchups as anything and we don't matchup well against them. Rodgers could put up 40 plus every game against us.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles, in a weak NFC, are likely a playoff team. But they are not a Super Bowl team. It is clear that some other teams are better right now. Arizona like it or not has beaten several good teams including us. Yes, we had a chance to win that one, but our secondary choked--something you will likely see again when we play good teams BTW.

Look, I would love to see this team win a title as much as anyone, but I think some of you are setting your expectations unrealistically high and are going to be disappointed.

I agree

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way we beat the Packers (1 outta 10 maybe) at the Linc or Lambeau. Footballs as much about matchups as anything and we don't matchup well against them. Rodgers could put up 40 plus every game against us.

Probably... however, away from Lambeau the Packers have looked anything but impressive... Yesterday, before the games started, the Packers would not even be in the play-offs! And if they do not win the division (unlikely), they might still not make it.

That is why I said that home-field in the NFC is huge... Everybody is raving about Arizona, mind you they got Detroit and the Eagles at their home, and against the Eagles the help of the officials to bring the game over the line (and from a number of comments, possibly the same last night).

Yes, Rodgers would be the worst match up we could face... definitely...

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahum, based on what many teams have shown this season, the sad thing is that the Eagles actually are contenders... The determining factor for the NFC is who will get HFA (or gets to avoid Lambeau)... The only team that looks much above the rest of the league is the Pats. Mind you, if not for Miami stupidity, the Pack might have been all but OUT of the play-offs already!

I can see your point. In my mind a SB contender is a team that has a chance to win the Superbowl against any team the other conference throws at them. I honestly do not think the Eagles fit that bill. I do not mean that as a negative because this team has improved over the course of the season and we have had some injuries.

Maybe I was too harsh by saying we have the worst secondary in the NFL because to be honest Jenkins is a stud. However I will say that personally I think we have the worst corners in the NFL.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles, in a weak NFC, are likely a playoff team. But they are not a Super Bowl team. It is clear that some other teams are better right now. Arizona like it or not has beaten several good teams including us. Yes, we had a chance to win that one, but our secondary choked--something you will likely see again when we play good teams BTW.

Look, I would love to see this team win a title as much as anyone, but I think some of you are setting your expectations unrealistically high and are going to be disappointed.

Ahum, against Arizona it was the officials that brought it over the line (the atrocious spot on Brown (should have been 1st and goal at a minimum), and the non-call flag pick up horse collar, which meant 1st and goal from the 16 instead of the 1)).

The Packers have looked as bad as we did last night... but as things stand, with good officiating (i.e. neutral), the only team that I would see us as definite underdogs against would be the Packers.... as far as matching up against New England or Denver, that would be an 'any given Sunday' thing...

I know some people get sick of me and my complaints about officiating, frankly I get sick and tired of people denying the fact that officiating IS part of the game, and that bad officiating can and does decide games - regardless of whether the worst occurs 2 minutes into the game or 2 seconds before the end...

I repeat again, that IMO the Eagles are - within the NFC - are a SB contender is as much an indictment of the NFC as it is a compliment to the Eagles...

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see your point. In my mind a SB contender is a team that has a chance to win the Superbowl against any team the other conference throws at them. I honestly do not think the Eagles fit that bill. I do not mean that as a negative because this team has improved over the course of the season and we have had some injuries.

Maybe I was too harsh by saying we have the worst secondary in the NFL because to be honest Jenkins is a stud. However I will say that personally I think we have the worst corners in the NFL.

Well, my definition is more the which team has a reasonable chance to get there from their respective conferences, since to some extent I see the SB as a 'any given Sunday' game.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to touch the officiating. There were less than 10 penalties the entire game. and i'm certain, no fan of the football wants to see an NFL where a QB giving ducking for cover gets rewarded with 15 yards and a 1st down. I guess you missed the INT's, the fumbles, and a QB that can't perform under pressure. If he doesn't have to do much and can rely on everyone else to win, he's fine. I said that before. But he was forced to do something and got worse as the game went on missing big plays all over the field. anyway, keep blaming the officiating. LOL

oh, and the Lambeau turf is the exact same stuff as Philly's turf.

I laughed at that yes it is the exact same type of field and it was announced during the game. I did not see the Packers slipping around? If it was a bad field both teams would have had issues. Eagles just need better equipment managers I guess

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably... however, away from Lambeau the Packers have looked anything but impressive... Yesterday, before the games started, the Packers would not even be in the play-offs! And if they do not win the division (unlikely), they might still not make it.

That is why I said that home-field in the NFC is huge... Everybody is raving about Arizona, mind you they got Detroit and the Eagles at their home, and against the Eagles the help of the officials to bring the game over the line (and from a number of comments, possibly the same last night).

Yes, Rodgers would be the worst match up we could face... definitely...

Please tell me how the Packers will not win the division. The Packers will beat Detroit the last game of the year in similar fashion as they won yesterday. The rest of the games include Vikings, Atlanta, Tampa, Buffalo, Patriots and Lions. The Patriots and Lions are in GB.

Det has New England next week then Tampa, the Bears twice, the Vikings and the Packers. The Packers also hold the tie breaker in the event the teams are tied if they split the games between them as the Packers have a better record against common opponents.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

I laughed at that yes it is the exact same type of field and it was announced during the game. I did not see the Packers slipping around? If it was a bad field both teams would have had issues. Eagles just need better equipment managers I guess

I think I saw quite a few Packers slip as well, though they seemed to be a bit more fortuitous in their timing of those slips... and therefore the slips were not as expensive as some of those on the Eagles...

And equipment is not everything either - how you apply pressure/cut makes a difference as well. In last year's snow bowl, the explosiveness of the Detroit D-line was exploited by the Eagles O-line, according to Kelce (the C), since because they were so explosive, the Detroit D-linemen tended to slip and slide quite a bit.

That said - equipment management (or players being stubborn) was part of the problem, if McCoy is to be believed...

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me how the Packers will not win the division. The Packers will beat Detroit the last game of the year in similar fashion as they won yesterday. The rest of the games include Vikings, Atlanta, Tampa, Buffalo, Patriots and Lions. The Patriots and Lions are in GB.

Det has New England next week then Tampa, the Bears twice, the Vikings and the Packers. The Packers also hold the tie breaker in the event the teams are tied if they split the games between them as the Packers have a better record against common opponents.

Ahum, I said it was UNLIKELY that the Packers would not win the division.

For the Packers to not win the division, they would have to lay an egg or two away from home... while Detroit has to be pretty much perfect... which is - as I said in the post I responded to - unlikely.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time I saw us get killed this bad I was there....It was at Heinz field vs The Steelers....I sat through the worst ass kicking imaginable. It was way worse than the Beating the packers laid on us, because the Steelers beat the fuck out of us physically...They beat our asses up and down leaving Eagle carcass all over the field that day...after that game I thought we absolutely got exposed, I thought our season was just flushed down the toilet.....Well we all know what happened in 2004....We played New England in the Super Bowl.....So even though our secondary sucks, I still think this team is a contender....and Should we meet the same Green Bay Packers in the playoffs in Philly, I think the result will be much different.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not expect a win in GB, but that was ugly. In some ways, it may work out for the best as it keeps the team humble.

At the end of the day however, the Eagles are leading their division. If they can beat the Cowboys twice, they will win the Division, and with any luck end up a with a first round bye and a home game against a team with one less week to prepare. They win that and they are literally one win away from the Super Bowl. Anything can happen in one game like that, so yes I do feel they are contenders. Its as simple as Beat Dallas and they are right in the mix.

tbone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhhh i see where everyone was hiding now. Time to say hello. Our defense is our biggest problem. Secondary is just bad. Against half ass WRs we are ok...decent ones we are in trouble. Id like to see more of Nolan Carrol to be honest...we know what we have in the other two boneheads. And Nate Allen has gotten slightly better...welll it looks it but hes still bad. We are missing a monster DL who can constantly get pressure. Its almost like we constantly have to blitz to get it and when we do we leave our crap corners out to dry. We need D help pretty bad. I like the concept of our D but we just dont have the pawns yet to play the game with them.

DJ4040

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the whole game yesterday came down to line play...defensive and offensive. I know everyone is quick to blame the secondary, everyone is quick to blame Sanchez, the receivers, ect. While there is merit in those criticisms, to me the line play on both sides was pitiful.

I basically hinged this game on whether our defensive line/LB's could get to Rodgers....Not even close. I really felt the defensive front would've put pressure on Rodgers but they failed miserably and our secondary was left out to dry. I don't care if it's our secondary or Seattle's, if Rodgers gets that type of time, either secondary is toast.

Offensively Sanchez had no chance half the time and I thought he played pretty well all things considered. The guy was starting his second game in a hostile environment and was depended upon to score 60 points because the defense couldn't get a hand on Rodgers. McCoy danced a bit but that line didn't open up the holes like they have in the past and the ground game sputtered once again.

Football games are won up front, any true follower of the game knows this. If you lose those battles, you will lose the game....we lost on both fronts hands down. I'm not going to pick on Williams, Fletcher, Sanchez, ect for this loss......those guys were thrown to the wolves because their respective lines couldn't win battles up front.

I didn't expect a win in this game, but I was shocked at how we got beat. I really felt both lines were better than that but I was obviously wrong. It's hard for great players to overcome deficiencies on the lines, we can't expect the majority of our players who are good but not great to do it.

We will go as far as our offensive line and defensive front seven take us....they lay an egg and we're done.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it in the pre game threads, during the game and now after the game ... Aaron Rodgers is a beast and unless we get in his face with pressure we can't beat him. The only way to beat the great QB's is to hit him and force the ball out before he's ready to get it out. Yes the officiating didn't go our way, but our 2ndary simply isn't good enough to stop Rodgers without pressure in his face regardless of officiating. Not only did we not get to Rodgers, but there was no rerouting of receivers or jamming them ... it was easy pitch and catch all day; barring a change in the game plan Rodgers would beat us 9 out of 10 times ... short week, long weak, at the Link or at Lambeau. I think Offensively is where we would be a lot better at home.

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, we see Coop cannot obviously pull a Safety with him like DJax could, thus the 'extra' guy loading the box on Shady. This team is screwed up at WR. Jordan Mathews looks great out of the slot....HOWEVER... it's causing Sanchez to totally ignore the TE's. Is Ertz still on the team?

This offense HAS to put up points to cover a really bad defensive secondary..... and right now.... it (the scheme) looks confused.

I don't think any team can JUST ride the coattails of ST's come crunch time (playoffs).

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take away the 2 turnovers for TD's by the O; plus the PR TD, and this could have been a close game. I'm not saying that we would have won the game, but it would have been fairly close. So, if we play the Pack in the playoffs, and not turn the ball over, and play a more aggressive defense, then we can play with them. It has to be a near-perfect team effort, but that's what it takes in the playoffs anyway.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take away the 2 turnovers for TD's by the O; plus the PR TD, and this could have been a close game. I'm not saying that we would have won the game, but it would have been fairly close. So, if we play the Pack in the playoffs, and not turn the ball over, and play a more aggressive defense, then we can play with them. It has to be a near-perfect team effort, but that's what it takes in the playoffs anyway.

I agree. Pass rush needs improvement. Eagles need to improve rushing game as well. Even if that happens Sanchez is not the guy to lead them deep into the playoffs. I hope Nick (I don't give up) Foles returns by the last game of the season. I would then feel more confident!

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will briefly add my two cents about us not being "contenders". If every team was judged by one game New England wouldn't be contenders (Cincy game), Denver wouldn't be a contender (NE or StL game), GB wouldn't be a contender (NO game), Arizona wouldn't be a contender (Den game), Detroit wouldn't be a contender (Carolina game), Indy wouldn't be a contender (NE game), KC wouldn't be a contender (Tenn game). So maybe 1 game shouldn't be the benchmark used for being a contender. The Eagles played awful in the GB game, that is true. The refs were not good in that game, that is true - I don't think it would've made a difference, but no way to know that. Before the GB game the Eagles were 5th in DVOA and fell to 8th after the game - still a top 10 team and by definition a contender. They have weaknesses - specifically at corner, and up until Sunday they had a done a pretty decent job covering those weaknesses with a fantastic pass rush. Sunday they had no pressure for whatever reason and their flaws were exposed. On offense they don't have a stud QB and that is a problem and what will most likely cost them in the playoffs. With all that though, every team has flaws and it only takes a break or two to envision the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will briefly add my two cents about us not being "contenders". If every team was judged by one game New England wouldn't be contenders (Cincy game), Denver wouldn't be a contender (NE or StL game), GB wouldn't be a contender (NO game), Arizona wouldn't be a contender (Den game), Detroit wouldn't be a contender (Carolina game), Indy wouldn't be a contender (NE game), KC wouldn't be a contender (Tenn game). So maybe 1 game shouldn't be the benchmark used for being a contender. The Eagles played awful in the GB game, that is true. The refs were not good in that game, that is true - I don't think it would've made a difference, but no way to know that. Before the GB game the Eagles were 5th in DVOA and fell to 8th after the game - still a top 10 team and by definition a contender. They have weaknesses - specifically at corner, and up until Sunday they had a done a pretty decent job covering those weaknesses with a fantastic pass rush. Sunday they had no pressure for whatever reason and their flaws were exposed. On offense they don't have a stud QB and that is a problem and what will most likely cost them in the playoffs. With all that though, every team has flaws and it only takes a break or two to envision the Eagles in the Super Bowl.
AMEN!!!! :agree: