• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Obversations from Eagles/Packers

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The Eagles are not Superbowl Contenders. Of course a large majority of us felt than way from the beginning of the season and still do.

2. We have the worst secondary in the NFL.

3. Billy Davis has been pretty good so far but yesterday has to be by far his worst game plan as DC. What in the hell made him think Fletcher could cover Jordy Nelson in man coverage?

4. As good as the Eagles were in all phases against the Panthers the same could be said in reverse about their performance againt the Packers.

5. Hats off to the Packers. That is what I call an old school wood shed ass whipping.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to believe that they were flat - a short week, a trip to Green Bay, the cold.
The "good news" is that they are still technically still in first place in the NFC East.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles were never SB contenders. Now they are playing with a backup QB and an undrafted free agent at guard. And the defense has only one different starter from the year before. It's improved, because the players are more comfortable in the scheme, but against the better competition it is going to be destroyed, because the secondary lacks talent and needs several new starters.

Realistically, I think another division title and playoff win would be a very nice season, a step forward. That's what I am hoping for, and it's still possible. I think most of us knew they would lose against the likes of Green Bay at Lambeau--though I certainly hoped it would be watchable.

Green Head

Formally Cape May Eagle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to believe that they were flat - a short week, a trip to Green Bay, the cold.
The "good news" is that they are still technically still in first place in the NFC East.
I agree man, I think people are jumping off a bridge way to early. I will echo above, short week, on the road in Lambeau going from fairly warm weather to down right cold. They just did not look ready to play like they did not want to be there. Some times you walk into the wrong fight and get your ass kicked. The Eagles mugged the Panthers the week before. It all falls on who gets hot at the end of the season. Time to focus on Tennessee. If the Eagles fall to the Titans, well then you can say it over.

Last edited by a moderator:

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles were never SB contenders. Now they are playing with a backup QB and an undrafted free agent at guard. And the defense has only one different starter from the year before. It's improved, because the players are more comfortable in the scheme, but against the better competition it is going to be destroyed, because the secondary lacks talent and needs several new starters.

Realistically, I think another division title and playoff win would be a very nice season, a step forward. That's what I am hoping for, and it's still possible. I think most of us knew they would lose against the likes of Green Bay at Lambeau--though I certainly hoped it would be watchable.

Based on how the NFC is playing out (or was) until this weekend, they ARE Super Bowl contenders. Even Denver looks vulnerable, the only legit team seems to be the Pats. The league is that f-ed up at the moment.

In the NFC, home field will determine probably who gets to the Super Bowl.

The fact that the Eagles could be considered contenders, and I think still can be considered as such is as much an indictment of the league as a whole as a compliment to the Eagles.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The Eagles are not Superbowl Contenders. Of course a large majority of us felt than way from the beginning of the season and still do.

Ahum, based on what many teams have shown this season, the sad thing is that the Eagles actually are contenders... The determining factor for the NFC is who will get HFA (or gets to avoid Lambeau)... The only team that looks much above the rest of the league is the Pats. Mind you, if not for Miami stupidity, the Pack might have been all but OUT of the play-offs already!

2. We have the worst secondary in the NFL.

Disagree, but it is decidedly below average.

3. Billy Davis has been pretty good so far but yesterday has to be by far his worst game plan as DC. What in the hell made him think Fletcher could cover Jordy Nelson in man coverage?

The defensive failures were all across the board. No matter what Davis would have come up with, it would have been ugly. Mind you, quite a few plays there were dismal failures on an individual level (bad tackling, losing men, not picking up RB's coming out in the flat).

4. As good as the Eagles were in all phases against the Panthers the same could be said in reverse about their performance againt the Packers.

Yup

5. Hats off to the Packers. That is what I call an old school wood shed ass whipping.

Yup.

My own points:

1. The officials were as bad as our defense. Missed numerous blatant helmet to helmets (two on drive-ending plays!), a blatant defensive PI on the 2nd INT (especially when looking at what Fletcher (justifiably!) got called for), numerous blatant holds by the Pack O-line, while coming up with a phantom hold against Mathis. And most of it all fairly early in the game. Would our offense have been able to keep up with Rodgers? Probably (99% certain) not. But for once I would like officials to do their f-ing job, and not blatantly influence a game negatively. No matter whether Eagles win or lose. And yes, it seems that officiating is playing a big role in who will get HFA in the NFC!

2. PLEASE let someone other than Maclin and Sproles for once make a play for a QB? Yes, Sanchez had some bad plays, but the skill players laid an egg.

3. We are in desperate need of CB, ILB and S. It is a serious indictment when Nate Allen could well be the best DB in last night's game.

4. The Lambeau turf is extremely bad.

5. Huff has a knack for undoing whatever good he is doing by atrocious plays at other points.

6. In general, the offense has been an absolute disappointment this season. There is not a single game this season where they have played up to the talent level. Part of the issue is the QB, but it is not the only one. Time and again, it seems the scheme works, but somebody f's up.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to touch the officiating. There were less than 10 penalties the entire game. and i'm certain, no fan of the football wants to see an NFL where a QB giving ducking for cover gets rewarded with 15 yards and a 1st down. I guess you missed the INT's, the fumbles, and a QB that can't perform under pressure. If he doesn't have to do much and can rely on everyone else to win, he's fine. I said that before. But he was forced to do something and got worse as the game went on missing big plays all over the field. anyway, keep blaming the officiating. LOL

oh, and the Lambeau turf is the exact same stuff as Philly's turf.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to touch the officiating. There were less than 10 penalties the entire game. and i'm certain, no fan of the football wants to see an NFL where a QB giving ducking for cover gets rewarded with 15 yards and a 1st down. I guess you missed the INT's, the fumbles, and a QB that can't perform under pressure. If he doesn't have to do much and can rely on everyone else to win, he's fine. I said that before. But he was forced to do something and got worse as the game went on missing big plays all over the field. anyway, keep blaming the officiating. LOL

oh, and the Lambeau turf is the exact same stuff as Philly's turf.

Whether we like it that way or not is completely irrelevant - the fact is that these are the rules now, and they have been called this way. Eagles had numerous calls like that go against them this season (see for instance the game against the Cardinals, where the refs called much lesser contact against both teams... O yeah, and as said before, for one of them - a hit less vicious than the two on Sanchez on the first two drives - Cole got fined quite big.

As said before, the first INT was all Sanchez, the second blatant defensive PI after Maclin slipped.

I am not blaming the officials for Sanchez missing big plays. I am blaming officials for being one-sided and simply NOT doing their jobs properly - and in doing so having a material impact on the outcome of the game (which I think the Eagles would have lost anyway, just not as badly).

Officials ARE part of the game, and have to do their job properly; whether one of the sides is utterly incompetent is completely irrelevant to that. And yes, they do deserve to get called out if they do not do their job as they should. And the way things are going - it seems - the officials are having a serious impact on how the play-off race in NFC is playing out, heavily in favour of the Cardinals.

And again, whether the Lambeau turf is the same stuff as in Philadelphia is again irrelevant (although it might actually be part of the problem). It was atrocious. And yes, I would have said the same if it had been in Philadelphia and it saw players slipping all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blatant PI, LOL There was incompetency out there last night, that is for sure. Throwing a jump ball to a receiver that fell and you want to be rewarded for it? I can see why you are so made at the refs, you expect them to bail you out when your team isn't playing well?

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat me to it this week. Overall this was one of those games that nothing went right.

1. Sanchez played ok in this game. I don't get the bashing sure he missed throws, every QB does, I think is unfair to blame the McCoy fumble on him I mean it was right in his chest, the snap was bad and on Kelce on the other fumble and the one int was as blatant as pass interferece could be. I don't think that Foles would have won this game he might have made the score closer but a lose is a lose

2. Josh Huff blows, another dropped pass and a huge miss on special teams, don't care he missed the tackle he screwed up the contain. Then he didn't man up afterwards. We should have drafted Josh brown

3. Bradley Fletcher had a bad game no doubt but why leave this guy out on an island all the time. He never has been a shut down corner.

4. Repeat after me the officals effected the outcome of the game. They obviously were into the Lambo mystique. Way too many blantant holding calls that effected the game on scoring plays that were not called. They set the tone for the game in the helmet to helmet hit on Sanchez on the eagles second drive, that is called the eagles get at least three there instead of being 10-6 its 17-3 before you know it. The second Sanchez int should be erased Maclin was mugged, had his ass kicked and thrown to the ground and no call. Would the Eagles have won if the officals call the game correctly I don't know that but I can assure you it would not have been a blowout

5. Darrin Sproles has to he used more
6. Ditto Zach Ertz
7. Jordan. Mathews is really coming into his own. I think its time to use him outside some
8. I can't help but think if the Eagles added a fullback and ran a little more like the Patriots offense they would be unstoppable
9. Specials teams had a weird day give up the Td but they block a punt and an extra point.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blatant PI, LOL There was incompetency out there last night, that is for sure. Throwing a jump ball to a receiver that fell and you want to be rewarded for it? I can see why you are so made at the refs, you expect them to bail you out when your team isn't playing well?
Come in even the best of fans knows that was pi even before he fell the guy was all over him at worst it should have been illegal contact. Heck look at the pi in the end zone Fletcher was looking for the ball and touches the receivers arm and it gets called. No doubt the packers the entire year at home have been getting the benefit of lopsided officating. No crawl back into your hole

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope, I do not expect refs to bail the team out. I expect them to officiate consistently and do their job. Regardless of the team...

First of all, this was somewhat of a jump ball, released the moment (or even before) Maclin slipped... Yes, Maclin slipped - and there was some contact at that point, but IMO not enough to warrant PI/holding (borderline); what Boykin did in the Indianapolis game (and everybody was up in arms about) on the interception by Jenkins was definitely not worse than what happened here - When Maclin tried to get up and go for the ball, the DB simply leaned over him, impeding him. That would be the Defensive PI.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come in even the best of fans knows that was pi even before he fell the guy was all over him at worst it should have been illegal contact. Heck look at the pi in the end zone Fletcher was looking for the ball and touches the receivers arm and it gets called. No doubt the packers the entire year at home have been getting the benefit of lopsided officating. No crawl back into your hole

crawl back to my hole, LOL

OK, doesn't look like there will be much than official blaming going on in here anyway.

I guess if it takes lopsided officiating to win, i'll take it :) although I think myself and everyone else that's not an Eagles fan saw the game for what it was.

I hope we meet again

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just writing this one off and seeing what happens the next few. We could easily be contenders. These same conversations took place after Reid took apart the Patriots a few weeks ago. Much can change....

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crawl back to my hole, LOL

OK, doesn't look like there will be much than official blaming going on in here anyway.

I guess if it takes lopsided officiating to win, i'll take it :) although I think myself and everyone else that's not an Eagles fan saw the game for what it was.

I hope we meet again

Except it seems that none of us are saying that it was lopsided officiating is that gave the Packers the win. Certainly I do not. Would it have been closer if the officials had done their job properly? Almost certainly yes (99% certain). But the Eagles themselves overall made too many mistakes to make defeat all but inevitable - again, as repeatedly stated, almost 99% certain they would have lost this game, based on their level of play (and that of Rodgers).

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys saying the Eagles are contenders, do you realize they have beaten one team with a winning record?

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys saying the Eagles are contenders, do you realize they have beaten one team with a winning record?

Yes... I also saw the Arizona game (and a few others of them)... I have also seen how the rest of the NFC has been... As said before, the Eagles being contenders (at least within the NFC) is as much an indictment of the NFC as a whole as a compliment to the Eagles.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles, in a weak NFC, are likely a playoff team. But they are not a Super Bowl team. It is clear that some other teams are better right now. Arizona like it or not has beaten several good teams including us. Yes, we had a chance to win that one, but our secondary choked--something you will likely see again when we play good teams BTW.

Look, I would love to see this team win a title as much as anyone, but I think some of you are setting your expectations unrealistically high and are going to be disappointed.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we sucked yesterday. I know we can play better so hopefully they can forget this game and focus on Tennessee.

Rogers showed us what a franchise quarterback looks like.