• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NY Mets @ Balt. Orioles (8/18+19)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm please stop it w/ the late game brain cramps guys.....FFS

2 outs... bases loaded...tying run at the plate...sheeesh.

Familia walks one in....5-2...still loaded....winning run now at the plate...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...really guys?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fudge. Just throw strikes, man!

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets closer Jeurys Familia finally slams door after wild ninth

BALTIMORE -- Manager Terry Collins recognizes there may be some growing pains for a first-year closer in a pennant race. Fortunately for the New York Mets, they survived Jeurys Familia's hiccup Tuesday night at Camden Yards.

After inheriting a pair of baserunners from Tyler Clippard along with a four-run lead with one out in bottom of the ninth, Familia ultimately issued a pair of bases-loaded walks to force in runs. He then finally coaxed a game-ending groundout to third base from Manny Machado as the Mets held on for a 5-3 winagainst the Baltimore Orioles.

"Today I left a couple of pitches outside, missed the zone a little bit," said Familia, who nonetheless was credited with his 33rd save.

Said Collins: "One thing you try to do in the dugout is maintain your composure. I could have started throwing some stuff around. I try not to panic. I try to just let these guys play the game. I certainly have all the confidence in the world that we were going to get some outs. I didn't like the bases on balls. I'd rather have them get a hit to score runs.

"But I'm not too sure how many times a lot of these guys have been put in the situation we're in right now, especially Jeurys Familia -- in a playoff hunt, a pennant race, and he's the closer for the first time in his whole life. We're going to ease him through it and get him through it, and today was a good test for him."

Collins went on to acknowledge that Familia had endured control problems earlier in his career.

"Obviously that has been a problem in the past," the manager said. "It hasn't been this year."

The Mets' bullpen overall has experienced some recent upheaval. Former closerBobby Parnell landed on the disabled list on Tuesday with arm fatigue, but really was stashed there because of ineffectiveness as he returns from Tommy John surgery.

Still, Clippard in the eighth and Familia in the ninth largely has been a winning formula in recent weeks, since Clippard was acquired from the Oakland Athletics.

The Mets could have had a much easier ninth inning. After Clippard departed, Familia struck out Jonathan Schoop for the second out. Steve Clevenger then sent what looked like the game's final out to second baseman Kelly Johnson. However, first baseman Lucas Duda initially thought Johnson was too far to reach the ball in the hole. By the time Duda retreated to the bag to receive the throw from Johnson, Familia also had reached the base to accept it.

Collins suggested that Duda, after initially breaking for the ball, should have deferred to Familia. Instead, Duda caught the ball but failed to have his foot on the base. Clevenger was credited with a single. With the bases loaded and two outs, the two walks ensued.

With the score 5-3 and the bases still loaded, Familia and Collins thought Machado had struck out for the game's final out. Collins thought the pitch itself was a struck. Familia thought Machado swung. The ruling was a ball. Familia then finally broke Machado's bat on a game-ending groundout that left the bases loaded.

"I know he swung at that pitch," Familia said. "I tried to get a groundball and strike him out again and save the game."

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets starter Jacob deGrom slices ERA to 1.98

BALTIMORE -- Right-hander Jacob deGrom is among some elite company with the New York Mets.

After limiting the Baltimore Orioles to a solo homer by Gerardo Parra in 7 2/3 innings in the Mets' 5-3 win on Tuesday at Camden Yards, deGrom shaved his season ERA to 1.98.

Not only is that the second-best ERA in the majors this season behind Zack Greinke's 1.58, it also is among the best in Mets history.

Among qualifiers, deGrom's ERA would rank third in a single season in franchise history. The only better: the 1.53 ERA posted by Dwight Gooden in 1985 and the 1.76 ERA posted by Tom Seaver in 1971.

"I'm just looking forward to continuing to go out there and try to have success and put us in a position to win," deGrom said, downplaying his accomplishments. "What's happened has already happened. I just have to continue to work hard and try to improve on that."

Gooden unanimously won the Cy Young in '85. Seaver finished second to 24-game winner Fergie Jenkins in '71.

"He's one of the best in the game right now," manager Terry Collins said about deGrom. "There's no question. I've talked to too many other managers. He's one of the first guys they ask about. He's very, very good. I talked to [Orioles manager] Buck [Showalter] before the game. He said, 'How's this guy pitching?' I said, 'Really good.' He said, 'Yeah, I know. I've been watching.'"

Pitching on an extra day of rest because of Monday's off day, deGrom (12-6) felt like he started the game off slowly. He walked Manny Machado to begin his outing, but stranded him at third base by striking out Chris Davis. In the second, deGrom allowed a leadoff single to Matt Wieters but followed by retiring 11 straight batters.

Collins lifted deGrom with two outs in the eighth and with his pitch count at 100 after a single by Machado. With the lefty-hitting Parra -- who had homered the previous at-bat -- due up, and with deGrom navigating through the lineup for the fourth time, Collins inserted Tyler Clippard. He retired Parra on a dangerous flyout to the wall in right field to preserve a 3-1 lead. Parra dropped to 0-for-9 in his career versus Clippard.

"My pitch count got up there a little bit early on," deGrom said. "After that, I wanted to get some quick outs, so I got some groundballs."

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BALTIMORE -- The lineups for Wednesday's 7:05 p.m. ET series finale between the New York Mets and Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards.

* Happy Birthday, Ron Darling (55 today) :suds:

Mets

Curtis Granderson, RF

Daniel Murphy, 2B

Yoenis Cespedes, DH

Lucas Duda, 1B

Juan Uribe, 3B

Travis d'Arnaud, C

Michael Conforto, LF

Wilmer Flores, SS

Juan Lagares, CF

Noah Syndergaard, RHP

Orioles

Manny Machado, 3B

Gerardo Parra, RF

Adam Jones, CF

Chris Davis, 1B

Jonathan Schoop, 2B

Steve Clevenger, DH

JJ Hardy, SS

Henry Urrutia, LF

Caleb Joseph, C

Ubaldo Jimenez, RHP

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph goes Boom in the 1st...giving the amazin's a 1-0 lead...
Then the O's loaded the bases on Thor with no outs....

So he dug deep and K'd Davis, and got Schoop to GIDP.

WOW!!

1-0 Mets after 1.