• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nussmier and Michigan

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuss just like throwing too much on First down. I hate throwing on first down cause if its incomplete you get behind the chains and now only have 2 downs to get 10 yards. If I was an OC I would run on first down 90 percent of the time. 2nd down would be my 50/50 down where u can have the option to run or pass and 3rd down would depend on the distance for a first and that would tell me whether to run or pass.

With what you just stated, as a DC I would stack the box on every first down when I played you. You just took a down away, by doing it everytime. Now I agree with you, when you "blue chip recruits" every frickin year I would run the crap out of it, but and this is huge but, sometimes opposing teams can "coach up" a unit to perform beyond there limitations, so you need that mix of run with pass, and yes that sometimes means throwing on 1st down...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just for the record I created the thread for the sole purpose that I find it very interesting that Michigan went back to a route of the "pro style" offense with this hiring, not to question Nuss play selection or control....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just for the record I created the thread for the sole purpose that I find it very interesting that Michigan went back to a route of the "pro style" offense with this hiring, not to question Nuss play selection or control....

Well. they aren't really "going back to" a pro-style offense. Michigan has been trying to run that type of offense since Hoke came to AA but lacked that type of talent. Borges was forced to modify his offense because of Denard and DG. My biggest question is if they are looking at Nuss as a potential HC if Michigan doens't improve.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok let me play the other side here 4D, ( nice on the avi) but your expecting it, (run play) then I'm sure that opposing teams are expecting run's as well???

You gotta be able to run it even when they expect it. Unless they are stuffing the box anyway. And you still want to pass at times obviously, but you need to be able to run the ball, run down the clock and keep the defense off the field.

Keeping your defense off the field is the best way to have a top defense. They have to get stops when they are on the field obviously, but it's easier for them to do that when they are off the field and the other team has a hard time finding what's going to work, getting a rhythm, and all that.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Morris returning as a Soph and Spreight as a true freshman UofM already has two solid prostyle QBs in the fold. I feel much better with Nuss working with them than Borges.

Jalopy I think you are right. I think Nuss watches Gardner and Morris in spring ball and realizes that UofM stands a better chance with Morris as the play caller. With Bellomy and Spreight as backups Gardner returns to WR were he contributes immediately.

DG will be on the field and will be the preferred starter. In a vacuum, DG is the starter, hands down. The question is whether DG could be better used at WR. That question depends on the talent evaluation of Morris. Bellomy is a capable back-up (despite nebraska-2012). Speight will RS. Michigan lacks any experience pass catchers with Gallon graduating. Darboh, Chesson and Harris all have potential but none are going to whiff the #1 jersey. My hunch is whether the lack of WR talent necessitates a QB that can run with the football and DG stays behind center.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta be able to run it even when they expect it. Unless they are stuffing the box anyway. And you still want to pass at times obviously, but you need to be able to run the ball, run down the clock and keep the defense off the field.
Michigan isn't close to being able to do that. In '13 we couldn't run the ball against a nickel D and that is with two Tackles that will be playing on Sundays next year. We do have a lot of young talent on the line but it seems to be developing slowly.