• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that the 49ers have apparently shelved the pistol

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see Kaep as being much of an upgrade over Smith. I'm not trying to bash Kaep because I always thought that Smith had a load of talent. They just jerked him around too much all the coaching changes.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lulz...Smith is a great game manager. He is being asked to do the same things he did in KC that he was successful at in San Fran. KC has a very good D and a good running game and Smith is a very smart QB who makes few mistakes. What Kap is being asked to do is completely different, and the Niners have struggled at times because of it. You see what they can do when they get back to the basics. The Niners get too cute at times and honestly we don't have the personnel to do so right now. I don't think anything has been "shelved" IMO, the season is young and as long as we can finish out this game, we are in a great position in both the division, and the NFC.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick hasn't been good much of the year, but has a lot of talent around him that has made up for it. They need to get him right if they are going to make a run at the post season.

Tonight he hasn't made many completions, but man is Huston's defense just bad or what? I know Seattle bloodied them up pretty good last week and Schaub was at an all time low after that pick6, but they are just a hot mess right now. I'm happy we got out of there with a win, but it appears we totally broke their backs on that comeback and SF was able to take full advantage of it. :gaah:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lulz...Smith is a great game manager. He is being asked to do the same things he did in KC that he was successful at in San Fran. KC has a very good D and a good running game and Smith is a very smart QB who makes few mistakes. What Kap is being asked to do is completely different, and the Niners have struggled at times because of it. You see what they can do when they get back to the basics. The Niners get too cute at times and honestly we don't have the personnel to do so right now. I don't think anything has been "shelved" IMO, the season is young and as long as we can finish out this game, we are in a great position in both the division, and the NFC.

Lulz. When lol just doesn't cut it I guess.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick hasn't been good much of the year, but has a lot of talent around him that has made up for it. They need to get him right if they are going to make a run at the post season.

Tonight he hasn't made many completions, but man is Huston's defense just bad or what? I know Seattle bloodied them up pretty good last week and Schaub was at an all time low after that pick6, but they are just a hot mess right now. I'm happy we got out of there with a win, but it appears we totally broke their backs on that comeback and SF was able to take full advantage of it. :gaah:

Yeah they must have totally just packed it in at 2-2...

Give some credit where credit it is due. They were out classed by a better team tonight. It will be interesting to see if this team will just quit on Kubiak or not, because there is obviously some talent there. It's obvious there is a not a lot of faith in Schaub moving forward. A lot of you seahawks fans thought the Niners were just going to quit after a rough start too...

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Give some credit where credit it is due. They were out classed by a better team tonight. It will be interesting to see if this team will just quit on Kubiak or not, because there is obviously some talent there. It's obvious there is a not a lot of faith in Schaub moving forward. A lot of you seahawks fans thought the Niners were just going to quit after a rough start too...

I think Houston quit on Kubiak as soon as Schaub threw the pick 6 on his first pass. I don't think the team has any faith in him and their spirits were broken very early in this game. SF got the Texans at a very opportune time and in spite of Kaep's poor play, they were able to run the ball well and the defense played good.

Also as gohusk said, without Kaep's ability to run, he is worse than or equal to Smith.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see Kaep as being much of an upgrade over Smith. I'm not trying to bash Kaep because I always thought that Smith had a load of talent. They just jerked him around too much all the coaching changes.

Here is where you are out of your league. Let me ask you a question. The Chiefs are 5-0....what do Dwayne Bowe's stats look like?

The point is that Alex Smith will NOT throw past 10 yds. The ONLY pass that Smith threw consistently past 10 yds while with the Niners was the seam route to VD. His completion % is pretty good because he dumps the ball off to his RB and TE more then actually pushing the ball downfield. I can guarantee without having looked at this season's Chiefs stats that Charles has more receptions (and possibly more receiving yards) then Bowe and it's not like Bowe forgot how to play the position.

Kap without his legs is still a more gifted and more willing passer. Last season in the seven games that Smith played, he threw the ball downfield 20 yards only 4 times total. Kap did that in his FIRST game vs. the Bears. Kap makes our offense more dynamic. Smith made it so our OL saw 8 in the box damn near every play.

Smith is a better decision maker, but that may be quite literally the ONLY redeeming quality he has over Kap.

Lastly, Kap's ability to run the ball is no different then Wilson. Most of Kap's runs last year were not set plays but broken plays that he made the most of. He didn't suddenly forget to move one foot in front of the other, they are playing to their team strengths, which is their power running game and moving away from pistol and read options as they did prior to the playoffs. I think they will bring it back into the playbook in due time, when they feel they have the matchup to exploit it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was the type of game where the season will start tail spinning for Houston. I think that pick 6 against the Hawks and the pick 6 to start against you guys will be Schaub's death blow in terms of confidence. You guys might have just turned Kubiak's hot seat into an inferno. It was a solid win.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lulz...Smith is a great game manager. He is being asked to do the same things he did in KC that he was successful at in San Fran. KC has a very good D and a good running game and Smith is a very smart QB who makes few mistakes.

Well, you'd agree that SF has a very good D, right? You'd also agree that SF has a good running game, right? Then if you say "yes" to those, why do you need Kaep w/out the pistol? As you said, Smith
is a very smart QB who makes few mistakes and this is where the difference rests because Kaep may
have book or wonderlic smarts but his football IQ is below Smith's. So why is Husk incorrect?

What Kap is being asked to do is completely different, and the Niners have struggled at times because of it.

Your post is extremely vague, suh. You say Kaep is being asked to do something completely different and 9ers have struggled. Why not just tell the audience what Kaep is asked to do and why the Niners have struggled at times because of it? This is your team and you're on another board. Just lay it out.

Are you afraid to say that Kaep is being asked to carry the team instead of being an Alex Smith "game manager"? I believe that's exactly what you're inferring. Your Niners have struggled at times because Kaep doesn't always make the best decisions to carry the team. You could actually use a "game manager" if you scrap the pistol. Remember the KC comparison? 9ers are constructed similarly.

You see what they can do when they get back to the basics. The Niners get too cute at times and honestly we don't have the personnel to do so right now. I don't think anything has been "shelved" IMO, the season is young and as long as we can finish out this game, we are in a great position in both the division, and the NFC.

We all should know what "getting back to the basics" and the "9ers get too cute at times" but really, suh. Just come out and describe what the f you're saying for your audience.

You've gotten back to pounding the rock which is back to the basics. I got it. What's the gets too cute at times? Is that when Kaep has to make more than 1 read and it fails because you don't have the personnel for him to hang too long in the pocket?

Husk has a point, suh. He stated if the pistol is scrapped which is the key phrase and Alex would be working better at this juncture in SF than Kaep is w/out the pistol. Kaep has more upside, is more athletic and the potential to be great could be there but is that the best for the 9ers right now or would Alex do the trick with more veteran savviness? :noidea:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I give you credit. You played great football and your coaching staff had your team prepared while Kubiak is a dumbass.

I'm watching the game w bro's and I'm describing what Kubiak needs Schaub to do and Kubiak, a coach for how long still hasn't figured it out?

Schaub can only throw quality balls between the hashes. Matt has a noodle arm that almost pushes the ball out of his hands and has always gotten burnt by the out route. At the age of 12 playing backyard football, the fave play we called was the half Xmas tree. It's a simple out and up with a pump fake. That play is deadly for db's looking to jump routes. That would've worked 3 or 4 times last night. Instead they allow Schaub to throw his lazy out route that you or I could jump.

We ran that play starting at age 12 though we didn't know what it was called. :laugh3:
Yet, Kubiak hasn't figured that out and up and he's been a previous NFL QB? :L

Great win by you guys w/out Willis and Smith, real nice.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The 9ers shelved the Pistol in favor of power running out of necessity rather than choice.

Right now the offense lacks speed and explosiveness but is heavy on power so to really effectively move the ball going with the power running game is the best way to go.

I think they'll go back to it more once they get Manningham and Crabtree back because they'll better be able to threaten defenses with the passing game which should open things up with the option game.

That's not to completely excuse Kap's play because some of the struggles rest squarely on his shoulders but I consider his struggles inline with the growing pains associated with a young QB with only a season's worth of games under his belt.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you'd agree that SF has a very good D, right? You'd also agree that SF has a good running game, right? Then if you say "yes" to those, why do you need Kaep w/out the pistol? As you said, Smith
is a very smart QB who makes few mistakes and this is where the difference rests because Kaep may
have book or wonderlic smarts but his football IQ is below Smith's. So why is Husk incorrect?

Your post is extremely vague, suh. You say Kaep is being asked to do something completely different and 9ers have struggled. Why not just tell the audience what Kaep is asked to do and why the Niners have struggled at times because of it? This is your team and you're on another board. Just lay it out.

Are you afraid to say that Kaep is being asked to carry the team instead of being an Alex Smith "game manager"? I believe that's exactly what you're inferring. Your Niners have struggled at times because Kaep doesn't always make the best decisions to carry the team. You could actually use a "game manager" if you scrap the pistol. Remember the KC comparison? 9ers are constructed similarly.

We all should know what "getting back to the basics" and the "9ers get too cute at times" but really, suh. Just come out and describe what the f you're saying for your audience.

You've gotten back to pounding the rock which is back to the basics. I got it. What's the gets too cute at times? Is that when Kaep has to make more than 1 read and it fails because you don't have the personnel for him to hang too long in the pocket?

Husk has a point, suh. He stated if the pistol is scrapped which is the key phrase and Alex would be working better at this juncture in SF than Kaep is w/out the pistol. Kaep has more upside, is more athletic and the potential to be great could be there but is that the best for the 9ers right now or would Alex do the trick with more veteran savviness? :noidea:

Like Jikkle pointed out, I don't think we've just completely shelved the pistol, that is where I think he is incorrect. You pretty much nailed it with your assessment as well. We would be doing just fine with Alex at QB. Kap is struggling so it's hard to make any arguments for him over Smith, but we've seen what he is capable of last year. I'm sure you've watched our games. Kap takes many more risks downfield and we suffer because we don't sustain as many drives, like we did with Alex with our ground and pound. That is what we are getting back too because we don't have weapons to make a down field passing attack work. As far as 'getting too cute', our first drive in the 2nd half against Houston is a good example. Three straight passes, two of them deep. We were up 21. I would have preferred a statement drive of ramming it right down their throat all the way down the field. A 23 second 3 and out to an offense that is capable of putting up a lot of points doesn't sound like a good idea too me. It's obviously not all on Kap. I've said before that I thought was Wilson was farther along right now than Kap is, but I think Kap has a higher ceiling. The same may be said for Smith vs. Kap. The potential is certainly there, he's young and makes mistakes. He will continue to get better, especially once we get some better options back at WR.