• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Notre Dame vs. USC 8:00 PM on ABC

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is Clemson vs Notre Dame. I think Clemson wins easy honestly
Not if they think all they have to do is show up on time. For reference just look at this game. Right now, I think only Alabama could pull that off, but even then the ball can take strange bounces on anyone.
Not predicting that ND can stay with either Alabama or Clemson, but in a game that was tied with 7 minutes to go, I would go with ND because of their historical luck and the fact that the others have not faced repeated close game pressure (except for that game against The Citadel).

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sound like a dooshy hater but am I wrong to think ND isn’t a top 4 team? They’re deserving, they went undefeated but I just don’t see dominance. Maybe they just had a lack luster game. Shit, look at OU. Their D could be torched by a junior college but I still think their domination on O puts them in the mix.
Yes your are wrong.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think gotta go eight, no one should get a bye. and they've got to work out the logistics with finals too. 5-6 weeks off is a joke.
I actually like the format one of the Alabama fans proposed

6 game play off 5 P5 Auto Bids and an at large
But there is a fail safe and some rules
If a Conference Champion has more than 2 losses that becomes a WC
Each team must play 10 P5 teams and only those games can be used as a gauge

When I ran that format it removed every question mark since the beginning of the play offs. And provided a much more exciting play off. All the best teams were in. Including those who earned it.

This would be the only year a CC has more than 2 losses. And that was kinda fluke. Snow doesn't bode well for Wazzu. But ND could fill the at large or the PAC slot.

I would like an 8 game play off to see a UCF,Boise etc able to qualify. Right now its too much like a participation trophy imo. With some conferences playing weaker schedules 8 game conference vs 9...So of course you're going to get some fan bases that prefer it be decided off the field by a committee.

Then again I think an 11-2 team with a CCG is better than an 11-1 team that didnt make thet finished 3rd in their conference

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes your are wrong.
Additionally, not showing dominance would eliminate any team with a loss, if you didn't win them all then you are not dominate. Alabama, Clemson, ND and UCF stand alone under that criteria.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the format one of the Alabama fans proposed

6 game play off 5 P5 Auto Bids and an at large
But there is a fail safe and some rules
If a Conference Champion has more than 2 losses that becomes a WC
Each team must play 10 P5 teams and only those games can be used as a gauge

When I ran that format it removed every question mark since the beginning of the play offs. And provided a much more exciting play off. All the best teams were in. Including those who earned it.

This would be the only year a CC has more than 2 losses. And that was kinda fluke. Snow doesn't bode well for Wazzu. But ND could fill the at large or the PAC slot.

I would like an 8 game play off to see a UCF,Boise etc able to qualify. Right now its too much like a participation trophy imo. With some conferences playing weaker schedules 8 game conference vs 9...So of course you're going to get some fan bases that prefer it be decided off the field by a committee.

Then again I think an 11-2 team with a CCG is better than an 11-1 team that didnt make thet finished 3rd in their conference

right, ucf hasn't lost a game in 2 years. be more entertaining to see a Cinderella team make it. the current format is still a bit like a beauty contest.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, ucf hasn't lost a game in 2 years. be more entertaining to see a Cinderella team make it. the current format is still a bit like a beauty contest.
UCF also beat Auburn who beat Bama and UGA. The point of the play offs was to avoid multiple champions. They had to credit UCF as a co champion last year. They need play off expansion and a stronger selection system

We're in for another year where the "best" teams are basically selected by the opinion of a committee. I prefer actual college football.Champions decided on the field not a beauty pageant imo

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if they think all they have to do is show up on time. For reference just look at this game. Right now, I think only Alabama could pull that off, but even then the ball can take strange bounces on anyone.
Not predicting that ND can stay with either Alabama or Clemson, but in a game that was tied with 7 minutes to go, I would go with ND because of their historical luck and the fact that the others have not faced repeated close game pressure (except for that game against The Citadel).
meh, being an underdog should inspire them.

muhammad ali had a bit of a lackluster fight with doug jones just being he fought sonny liston. the public thought liston would kill ali. and the rest is history.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF also beat Auburn who beat Bama and UGA. The point of the play offs was to avoid multiple champions. They had to credit UCF as a co champion last year. They need play off expansion and a stronger selection system

We're in for another year where the "best" teams are basically selected by the opinion of a committee. I prefer actual college football.Champions decided on the field not a beauty pageant imo
right, ohio state might get left out again.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, ohio state might get left out again.
With this system its going to come down to who the committee likes in the swim suit competition
Ohio State,ND,Oklahoma,UGA...It's just going to be another play off with a lot of question marks like the past.
OSU,PSU,TCU,Baylor.......

When you see criteria like the eye test.....Theres a problem

The play offs were a good start. But like any system you have to correct the flaws in order to progress to the best product. Good start but still far too many flaws.

If they want a true champion they will have to expand. And improve the selection system

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this system its going to come down to who the committee likes in the swim suit competition
Ohio State,ND,Oklahoma,UGA...It's just going to be another play off with a lot of question marks like the past.
OSU,PSU,TCU,Baylor.......

When you see criteria like the eye test.....Theres a problem

The play offs were a good start. But like any system you have to correct the flaws in order to progress to the best product. Good start but still far too many flaws.

If they want a true champion they will have to expand. And improve the selection system

i guess the system is evolving, but this mini playoff kind of ruins the new years day bowls. i kind of miss the days of watching college football's elite for about 14 hour straight while recovering from new years eve.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My source just texted me that Helton is returning to usc next year

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess the system is evolving, but this mini playoff kind of ruins the new years day bowls. i kind of miss the days of watching college football's elite for about 14 hour straight while recovering from new years eve.
Unfortunately the BCS was flawed. Its never a good idea to involve too much human influence. Whether it be the AP or coaches. If I remember correctly the rematch bowl. Came down to like a decimal in that formula. Due to a coach slotting OSU a hair down in his rankings.

I think they eventually expand and find a better selection system. Just like you do with any knew system. And we eventually get the optimal system and actual undisputed champion in the future

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My source just texted me that Helton is returning to usc next year
Depends SC losing recruits to Oregon etc...because of the direction Helton has the program headed. May be too much for Swann to cover. No matter how much he likes Clay

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going undefeated isnt easy. Thats only the third game Ive seen them play.

like some one else said they've played in California twice in the past month as well as New York city with a trip to Chicago in between they've travelled more than anyone else in college football over the same time frame.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Herbie said, first USC coach to win 10 games in his first 2 seasons. Never been done before.

This was a transition year after losing Darnold to the NFL and Daniels has been very inconsistent.
Very true, but it looks like opposing teams had no problem making the necessary adjustments to shut down our offense, leaving it virtually powerless in the second half. SC on the other hand could do nothing to counter the adjustments, and failing to stick with a running game to pound the ball is baffling. That all falls on the coaching staff.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, but it looks like opposing teams had no problem making the necessary adjustments to shut down our offense, leaving it virtually powerless in the second half. SC on the other hand could do nothing to counter the adjustments, and failing to stick with a running game to pound the ball is baffling. That all falls on the coaching staff.

Yes and no. USC was very young and lost a lot of guys due to injury. Heck, last night, the defense had a true freshman and a walk on start and see significant playing time.

What seems to happen is that when there is adversity (turnover, costly penalty) they don't respond well. Even last night, for the first time, they were actually responding well to adversity, but then they would end up shooting themselves in the foot.

All of these are correctable problems. I put most of that on the assistants, which is why, while I hate seeing anyone lose their job, I was glad that they let Callaway go. The o-line has actually looked batter under Drevno and last night was the first time I can remember that Lobendahn didn't appear to have any bad snaps.

Assuming Helton stays, I'd like to see him keep Drevno as the o-line coach and hire an experienced OC to either advise Tee or replace him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes your are wrong.

Agree. Especially if folks want to try to use last nights game against them.

Last night they were on the road against a rival that has a lot of talent (even if they haven't lived up to it this year), was playing for a bowl game and trying to save their coaches job.

Imo, the Irish deserve a spot in the playoff (just threw up a little in my mouth lol).