• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not taught

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gotta say, I think there's a lot of truth to that on offense. On defense, the position coaches did a nice job of grooming unheralded CBs, DL, even some of the younger LBs this past year into starters or solid depth. But on offense, I can't really point to any player that was developed under Harbaugh's staff. WR is the most glaring example of that, of course, but even along the OL we were forced to start Jonathan Martin much of the year precisely because we hadn't groomed a backup. Kilgore is really the only later-round pick who showed much growth on offense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta say, I think there's a lot of truth to that on offense. On defense, the position coaches did a nice job of grooming unheralded CBs, DL, even some of the younger LBs this past year into starters or solid depth. But on offense, I can't really point to any player that was developed under Harbaugh's staff. WR is the most glaring example of that, of course, but even along the OL we were forced to start Jonathan Martin much of the year precisely because we hadn't groomed a backup. Kilgore is really the only later-round pick who showed much growth on offense.

yes, mostly on offense.
even last year we couldn't help wonder if Harbaugh/Roman was "purposely" holding AJ and LMJ back, just a little? LMJ is a dynamic player in space, but didn't seem like we even tried adding plays for him? So now I'm speculating Baalke was a little upset he's taking heat for bust picks, but the Coaches aren't trying/teaching well enough?

IF there is some truth to it, then another factor for the 'differences in philosophy'?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, mostly on offense.
even last year we couldn't help wonder if Harbaugh/Roman was "purposely" holding AJ and LMJ back, just a little? LMJ is a dynamic player in space, but didn't seem like we even tried adding plays for him? So now I'm speculating Baalke was a little upset he's taking heat for bust picks, but the Coaches aren't trying/teaching well enough?

IF there is some truth to it, then another factor for the 'differences in philosophy'?

There's no doubt our coaching staff didn't know how to utilize speed, and didn't seem all that interested. That said, I think at least in Jenkins' case we can say with some certainty he was a bust. He's had opportunities on two of the most WR-starved teams in the league and hasn't done a thing. LMJ I think the jury is still out. He needs an offseason with a team to be able to show what he can do.

van_basten

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, mostly on offense.

Last time I check AJ still has zero TD at KC. He is simply a bust. As for LMJ, a dynamic player in college doesn't always turn into a dynamic player in NFL. He has been given some chances (not a lot) but he has not shown anything. Can we not adding AJ and LMJ into this "wondering" and "speculation" on differences in philosophy?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Last time I check AJ still has zero TD at KC. He is simply a bust. As for LMJ, a dynamic player in college doesn't always turn into a dynamic player in NFL. He has been given some chances (not a lot) but he has not shown anything. Can we not adding AJ and LMJ into this "wondering" and "speculation" on differences in philosophy?

I never liked the way they used LMJ. It was absolutely predictable. It seemed like every time he came into a game, it was either a screen or an outside run. It was too easy to defend. He didn't really get a shot this year, so I'm interested to see what he can do next year.

And this is not meant as a defense of LMJ. I hated the pick from the start - I was and have been a big Hunter fan, though he's got to get back on the field - and hate the way LMJ handled himself while on the team. Just saying that I don't think we can fairly judge him at this point. Agree on Jenkins. Total waste of a pick. Ugh.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's no doubt our coaching staff didn't know how to utilize speed, and didn't seem all that interested. That said, I think at least in Jenkins' case we can say with some certainty he was a bust. He's had opportunities on two of the most WR-starved teams in the league and hasn't done a thing. LMJ I think the jury is still out. He needs an offseason with a team to be able to show what he can do.

yeah ok......on both players

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ok, so its Vance Johnson, Patton, Kendall Hunter, who else on offense?

difficult to add 6th and 7th round picks, 5th rounders are debatable?

van_basten

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure what you means. The only thing that I disagree with you is when you said "Harbaugh/Roman purposely holding AJ and LMJ back". Hyde is also drafted by Baalke. How come Harbaugh/Roman did not hold Hyde back? Maybe Hyde got playing time because he has shown that he actually has potential, unlike LMJ?

The whole offensive scheme simply sucks. Beside Boldin, you can say there are not enough plays for most players. Ask our #1 TE and #2 WR I am sure they think they don't get enough plays. And they are not rookies.

As for Patton and Ellington, I wish they got more playing time, that's why I don't like the fact that they got both Johnson and Lloyd last year which block young WR development. Patton and Ellington didn't get much playing time until Johnson went down and Crab was banged up. IMO they should leave the #3 or #4 WR slot to develop young WR and I hope that will happen next year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think AJ jenkins is a bust. He couldn't do anything in press coverage and get off the line. Even LMJ I don't think he would ever have been any good. He might of had some use catching passes out of the backfield. But he was unimpressive running out of the backfield. He didn't seem elusive running the ball and was easily tackled.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This falls under the category of "are you f-ing kidding me???"

John Morton, who served as Harbaugh’s wide receivers coach with the 49ers, is not expected back with the organization. He already appears in the University of Michigan directory, reports the Detroit Free Press. Morton was the highest-paid receivers coach in the NFL, according to a 49ers source.[/I]

Departures on 49ers' coaching staff | CSN Bay Area

For four years, that guy was nothing but a drain on the WR position. We have two players on the active roster who were drafted or added via UDFA during his tenure, and they barely saw any action. In 2013, with a huge window of opportunity for anyone with a modicum of talent at WR, we got no production from the second WR spot - not to mention the third WR spot.

Gotta say, I'm a little on the fence about Harbaugh leaving. I think the team has put itself in a really tough spot by moving on from such a successful coach. But if Harbaugh was in any way behind that salary for Morton - and let's be honest, he absolutely was as the guy is basically his closest friend - that just gets me steamed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why can't I edit my posts? Got my italics and bold mixed up, so that part above should be italicized.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Assuming that you're reviewing offensive players who have been added under Harbaugh's staff, I think we have to include late-round picks and UDFAs. That's the point of developing players: to get production out of unheralded players. We've done that on D. We have not - at all - on offense.

Kilgore is the closest thing the staff came to developing an offensive player. I suppose you could argue he was a late-round pick, but I would contend that the 5th round is not really a "late pick" for an interior OL, and center in particular. Hell, Marcus Martin fell to the third as arguably the best center in the draft. Hunter is a question mark due to the injuries, but he was pretty good from day one and so didn't show much growth (though I think Rathman is a good position coach). Ronald Johnson, who was likely Morton's personal choice, was awful. Michael Person, Jason Slowey, Joe Looney didn't pan out. Carter Bykowski was pilfered. The dozens of UDFA OL and WRs have done nothing - more forgivable at OL where we've been pretty strong; unforgivable at WR where we've desperately needed production. McDonald has actually regressed as a pass catcher. Celek and Carrier have been okay, but only that.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This falls under the category of "are you f-ing kidding me???"

John Morton, who served as Harbaugh’s wide receivers coach with the 49ers, is not expected back with the organization. He already appears in the University of Michigan directory, reports the Detroit Free Press. Morton was the highest-paid receivers coach in the NFL, according to a 49ers source.[/I]

Departures on 49ers' coaching staff | CSN Bay Area

For four years, that guy was nothing but a drain on the WR position. We have two players on the active roster who were drafted or added via UDFA during his tenure, and they barely saw any action. In 2013, with a huge window of opportunity for anyone with a modicum of talent at WR, we got no production from the second WR spot - not to mention the third WR spot.

Gotta say, I'm a little on the fence about Harbaugh leaving. I think the team has put itself in a really tough spot by moving on from such a successful coach. But if Harbaugh was in any way behind that salary for Morton - and let's be honest, he absolutely was as the guy is basically his closest friend - that just gets me steamed.

I cant see anything Mort
LOL, I figured you would get a kick out of that one. I cant think of one thing Morton did to earn that kind of salary. I also was wondering if Morton was involved in the decision to draft AJ Jenkins

Last edited by a moderator: