• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not Impressed With Either Jones Or Lock

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly do NFL personnel folks - let alone fans - know exactly who is & who isn't a "franchise QB"? This is not an exact science & college play & measurables do not always help predict who will be a good NFL QB. Lots of examples of that in the NFL - Brady, Brees, Wilson & others.

We will see.

They don't KNOW.

They do have some idea and can make educated guesses. And based on those this is a weak class.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't KNOW.

They do have some idea and can make educated guesses. And based on those this is a weak class.
i dont think its a weak class, just not as good as last seasons

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the NFL continues to morph into the college game, fewer QB's will fail or be deemed failures in the pro game. The issue going forward is in finding "best fit" between coach's scheme and player. To further illustrate my point I give you J. Goff under Fischer and J. Goff under McVay.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't KNOW.

All it takes is one guy do well. I don't give a shit about the QBs taken by other teams or if the class as a whole is good. I just want some young QB that the Skins can build on moving forward.

I am fine with waiting another year to draft that guy IF it means that they don't invest a lot of $$ in some vet this offseason. I am fine with going w/ McCoy or some cheap vet. My worry is that are always trying to go for the big splash & if they don't draft a QB relatively early they will mortgage the farm to get someone like Flacco or Foles.

This team needs to find a long term solution at QB. Cousins perhaps could have been that guy - doesn't matter - it is past history - they need to stop replacing QBs every few years (Smith, Cousins, RG3, McNabb, Grossman, Campbell, Ramsey, etc, etc). They are almost getting to be like the old Browns in this respect.

Strong class or not - they need to find a long term QB sometime in the next few years. Even if it doesn't work they will not have wasted tons of $$ on the cap like they have the last 3 years.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it takes is one guy do well. I don't give a shit about the QBs taken by other teams or if the class as a whole is good. I just want some young QB that the Skins can build on moving forward.

I am fine with waiting another year to draft that guy IF it means that they don't invest a lot of $$ in some vet this offseason. I am fine with going w/ McCoy or some cheap vet. My worry is that are always trying to go for the big splash & if they don't draft a QB relatively early they will mortgage the farm to get someone like Flacco or Foles.

This team needs to find a long term solution at QB. Cousins perhaps could have been that guy - doesn't matter - it is past history - they need to stop replacing QBs every few years (Smith, Cousins, RG3, McNabb, Grossman, Campbell, Ramsey, etc, etc). They are almost getting to be like the old Browns in this respect.

Strong class or not - they need to find a long term QB sometime in the next few years. Even if it doesn't work they will not have wasted tons of $$ on the cap like they have the last 3 years.

all i want is for us to get value at 15 and the rest of our draft picks . in my opinion there are 4 qbs that could do that at 15

what i dont want is another trade up to draft a qb . dont do it . keep the resources and let the qb fall to us . if we have to wait till round 2 or 3 so be it

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the ou qb wont make it past the giants .. duke qb will be there at 15 maybe lock

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true but if it's a weak class it's worse odds for us to find that guy. Doesn't mean it's impossible... just less likely.

Totally agree with you about the rest. I'm ok with waiting a year or two for the right guy but I don't wanna see us chase a veteran splash. That would be a disaster... Yet again...

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in favor of chasing another Kirk Cousins either. Get me that guy who the organization is fully prepared to properly groom for the long haul, has first and definitely second year upside and talent that screams higher ceiling.

Somebody is going to take this the wrong way so to be clear, Kirk is/was a pretty good player who thus far has reached his ceiling. The player that I want starts where or close to where Kirk took years to reach.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i want is for us to get value at 15 and the rest of our draft picks . in my opinion there are 4 qbs that could do that at 15

what i dont want is another trade up to draft a qb . dont do it . keep the resources and let the qb fall to us . if we have to wait till round 2 or 3 so be it

Yep - I agree about trading up. IMO that is all part of long term planning. Don't just focus on one guy or next season. If they even consider some type of trade consider the long term effect. Take RG3 as an example. That trade resulted in significant damage since it cost them first rd picks for the two following years. Those could have been major impact players that would have likely put the team in good shape now. They had to really look at the situation & ask if RG3 was that good & was his skillset sustainable. I got caught up in it & it is water under the bridge, but they should have at least learned a lesson.

Once again having said that I have zero confidence that they will make the appropriate moves in this type of situation. Time will tell.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideal scenario would play out that the Skins trade down in round 1 and still land a QB of their choosing late round 1 or early round 2.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you folks are seeing. I’ve watched Jones quite a bit in ACC. I think he is the best out of this entire bunch. He’s big, strong arm, can move very well for a 6’4” inch kind of guy, intelligent, coached by one of the most criminally underrated coaches out there in Cutcliffe.
If he is there at our pick, we should run to the podium. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he ends up being Top 5-10

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins are so poorly ran and so incredibly short sighted that they will reach on one of these subpar QBs thus taking them out of the running in 2020 when its actually a legitimate QB class

really has to be one of the worst ran organizations in all of major sports and definitely the worst ran one in the nfl in my lifetime which is saying a lot when there are the Dolphins and Raiders in the league

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins are so poorly ran and so incredibly short sighted that they will reach on one of these subpar QBs thus taking them out of the running in 2020 when its actually a legitimate QB class

really has to be one of the worst ran organizations in all of major sports and definitely the worst ran one in the nfl in my lifetime which is saying a lot when there are the Dolphins and Raiders in the league

Even if they go that route this offseason I will not have a real issue with it. My biggest fear would be them using a bunch of $$ on someone like Flacco. Even if this isn't the best of QB classes at least there is hope & a bust would at least not handcuff them salary wise.

List of Washington Redskins starting quarterbacks - Wikipedia

Take a look at their relatively recent QBs that includes

1. Twice trading for an aging vet that likely turns into crap in both cases (Smith, McNabb)
2. Trading the farm for a one year wonder (RG3)
3. Giving tons of $$ short term to a guy that they didn't want long term (Cousins)
4. Signing another aging vet w/ a shot arm who ran out of gas quick (Brunell)
5. Reverting to a fat, relatively useless QB (Grossman)
6. Drafting a QB in the 1st rd who was destined to be a career backup (Campbell)
7. Temporarily playing useless ex-Florida QBs who didn't belong in the NFL (Wuerful, Matthews)

This is rt on par with the Browns & other teams who have a horrible track record with QBs. It would be nice if somehow they find an effective long term QB whether that starts this offseason, next offseason or sometime after that.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Justin Herbert next year. The Skins can't do anything to salvage the upcoming season so they should use the high draft pick they will earn in next years class. I think Herbert will be the best QB in that year and they will be in position to get him without giving up the farm.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in favor of chasing another Kirk Cousins either. Get me that guy who the organization is fully prepared to properly groom for the long haul, has first and definitely second year upside and talent that screams higher ceiling.

Somebody is going to take this the wrong way so to be clear, Kirk is/was a pretty good player who thus far has reached his ceiling. The player that I want starts where or close to where Kirk took years to reach.

I basically agree w/ what you say but for somewhat different reasons. The major screw up in the 2012 draft was RG3 not Cousins & a lot of folks just didn't see it panning out that way (myself included) especially after his stellar rookie season. Cousins was just an afterthought in that draft.

The real problem is how they handled Cousins after that time. You could argue with the first tag of Cousins, but it was not that big of a deal. However the second tagging of Cousins was a major screw up, and the Redskins are the only team which would have made a move of this type. During that offseason you either let him go, extend him long term or apply the tag knowing that it is a formality while you work out a long term deal that will be in place weeks or months later.

Tagging a QB 2 years in a row for big $$ & then letting him go the following year is just insane. This should be obvious to just about everyone in hindsight. Hopefully the FO learned their lesson on that one, but I highly doubt it. All of these moves are major reason for their current predicament. Sure injuries have made it more difficult, but if they had made the rt moves they would be in much better shape regardless of the injuries.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I basically agree w/ what you say but for somewhat different reasons. The major screw up in the 2012 draft was RG3 not Cousins & a lot of folks just didn't see it panning out that way (myself included) especially after his stellar rookie season. Cousins was just an afterthought in that draft.

The real problem is how they handled Cousins after that time. You could argue with the first tag of Cousins, but it was not that big of a deal. However the second tagging of Cousins was a major screw up, and the Redskins are the only team which would have made a move of this type. During that offseason you either let him go, extend him long term or apply the tag knowing that it is a formality while you work out a long term deal that will be in place weeks or months later.

Tagging a QB 2 years in a row for big $$ & then letting him go the following year is just insane. This should be obvious to just about everyone in hindsight. Hopefully the FO learned their lesson on that one, but I highly doubt it. All of these moves are major reason for their current predicament. Sure injuries have made it more difficult, but if they had made the rt moves they would be in much better shape regardless of the injuries.

Only team in NFL history to allow their QB to play on the tag for two years...let alone allow him to walk after. That scream ineptitude.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC has us on the playoffs this last season injuries and all because our defense was better and we had AD . He knows our offense, our wrs and if we got into a shootout he could keep us in it . No qb on our roster can do that . CDC. In 11 games couldn’t even get us tied if we fell behind

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC has us on the playoffs this last season injuries and all because our defense was better and we had AD . He knows our offense, our wrs and if we got into a shootout he could keep us in it . No qb on our roster can do that . CDC. In 11 games couldn’t even get us tied if we fell behind

I am not as crazy about Cousins as some other folks here. That being said if they were going to move on from Cousins they should have done so in the offseason of 2017 (at the latest) - not in the 2018 offseason. They likely then could have started planning their long term solution - not simply some placeholder. God help us if they go that route again (e.g. Flacco).

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they go that route this offseason I will not have a real issue with it. My biggest fear would be them using a bunch of $$ on someone like Flacco. Even if this isn't the best of QB classes at least there is hope & a bust would at least not handcuff them salary wise.

List of Washington Redskins starting quarterbacks - Wikipedia

Take a look at their relatively recent QBs that includes

1. Twice trading for an aging vet that likely turns into crap in both cases (Smith, McNabb)
2. Trading the farm for a one year wonder (RG3)
3. Giving tons of $$ short term to a guy that they didn't want long term (Cousins)
4. Signing another aging vet w/ a shot arm who ran out of gas quick (Brunell)
5. Reverting to a fat, relatively useless QB (Grossman)
6. Drafting a QB in the 1st rd who was destined to be a career backup (Campbell)
7. Temporarily playing useless ex-Florida QBs who didn't belong in the NFL (Wuerful, Matthews)

This is rt on par with the Browns & other teams who have a horrible track record with QBs. It would be nice if somehow they find an effective long term QB whether that starts this offseason, next offseason or sometime after that.

TBD but why blow your load in 2019 when pretty much 100% of scouts believe 2020 is infinitely stronger QB class?

Kirk Cousins
Brad Johnson

that was it. those were the only QBs during my lifetime as a fan that was <average. Also RG3 his rookie year. Sad sad state. All blame lies with snyder

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBD but why blow your load in 2019 when pretty much 100% of scouts believe 2020 is infinitely stronger QB class?

Kirk Cousins
Brad Johnson

that was it. those were the only QBs during my lifetime as a fan that was <average. Also RG3 his rookie year. Sad sad state. All blame lies with snyder

Well if this were some other team I might completely agree with you. However being the Redskins I can see them overspending for some vet QB this offseason. They then proceed to do just enough to go 7-9 (i.e. a typical Gruden season) & are just far enough back in the draft to not pickup one of the elite QBs. They then either get a lesser QB or trade the farm for a higher pick.

Again - I am fine if they select a QB in either draft. Lots of us take the approach of making suggestions for the Skins during the offseason & apply our logic or the logic of successful teams & forget that the Redskins often go in a different direction.