• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not a Hypothetical: Frank Clark Traded

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe I read somewhere (could be wrong, not going to scour Google for an hour) Clark said he would sit if there was no new deal or trade. I think he took out an insurance policy last year, but dunno about this upcoming season.

He claimed he would sit, but as a guy who committed felony home invasion in college and "only" made $3.7m in his NFL career, I doubt he would've refused $17m fully guaranteed.

Given his contract demands unless he took a huge leap forward and became a Khalil Mack-type pass rusher, odds are that he wouldn't have been on the team in 2020 even if he played through the tag.

It's a blow to 2019, but Clark was not nearly worth the contract that the Chiefs gave him. Additionally, I don't think Clark was worth a first and second round pick.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree here. While it may have some implications on how a player feels in terms of priorities from the Hawks FO. Like Clark literally just came out and thanks KC for swooping in and made him feel like he's wanted. The Hawks are going to prioritize guys like Russ and Bobby first, so this has an impact on how Clark feels about being here. But Russ' signing has nothing to do with this imo. It's more so, in what Clark was asking.

Agreed, but guy's are all gonna ask for a lot, so we have to cut somewhere for future cap space.. Russ is taking about what 20 percent of the cap in the future ? give or take.... I realize the cap increases so that will back off a bit as time goes on, but Seattle has to consider who were gonna keep a little more giving someone 35 million a year... It can't be denied that it's a big hit on our cap, and we're not gonna be able to keep all our stud veteran players as time rolls on... that's the point I"m making... We have other priorities...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but guy's are all gonna ask for a lot, so we have to cut somewhere for future cap space.. Russ is taking about what 20 percent of the cap in the future ? give or take.... I realize the cap increases so that will back off a bit as time goes on, but Seattle has to consider who were gonna keep a little more giving someone 35 million a year... It can't be denied that it's a big hit on our cap, and we're not gonna be able to keep all our stud veteran players as time rolls on... that's the point I"m making... We have other priorities...

Making Frank Clark the 3rd highest paid non-QB in the NFL is absurd IMO.

I'd happily lose our best pass rusher, dodge that bullet and land a first and second round pick for him. He's a good young player, but he is nowhere near elite. The biggest thing he has going for him is his youth.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He claimed he would sit, but as a guy who committed felony home invasion in college and "only" made $3.7m in his NFL career, I doubt he would've refused $17m fully guaranteed.

Given his contract demands unless he took a huge leap forward and became a Khalil Mack-type pass rusher, odds are that he wouldn't have been on the team in 2020 even if he played through the tag.

It's a blow to 2019, but Clark was not nearly worth the contract that the Chiefs gave him. Additionally, I don't think Clark was worth a first and second round pick.

Agreed entirely. I routinely thought Clark would get a 2019 2nd and that's it. I know PFF isn't the end all be all of player ratings, but Ford was actually the better player last year. I get Clark gives you youth and upside with less injury chance (based on history), but $21M per with $65M guaranteed compared to $16M/$35M guaranteed that Ford got? Honestly what Ford got is what I thought Clark should've got (maybe a little higher GTEED due to age).

I do find it amusing a # of NFL analysts are raving about how this is so good for the Chiefs (because let's face it, they are the 'sexy' team at the moment) when in all honesty, it really doesn't improve anything they had from last year - because Ford/Clark were very comparable players.

So unless Clark just goes full HAM this year and turns into Lawrence Taylor 2.0, I just don't see the value here. I thought we'd get a 2nd and that was that - given Clark wanted to be the highest paid player at the position. The fact we got a 1st, AND a future 2nd... FAR surpassed my expectation.

Seattle has always done well evaluating edge talent since Carroll arrived. Carroll turned Clemons around, made Avril a beast, drafted Clark ALMOST IN THE 3RD ROUND and turned him into a beast... and here we are again... oh btw, we have that guy Rasheem Green who everyone knew would take 1-2 years of development when we drafted him? Yah don't forget about him.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making Frank Clark the 3rd highest paid non-QB in the NFL is absurd IMO.

I'd happily lose our best pass rusher, dodge that bullet and land a first and second round pick for him. He's a good young player, but he is nowhere near elite. The biggest thing he has going for him is his youth.

Man, they did pay him a lot ...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed entirely. I routinely thought Clark would get a 2019 2nd and that's it. I know PFF isn't the end all be all of player ratings, but Ford was actually the better player last year. I get Clark gives you youth and upside with less injury chance (based on history), but $21M per with $65M guaranteed compared to $16M/$35M guaranteed that Ford got? Honestly what Ford got is what I thought Clark should've got.

I do find it amusing a # of NFL analysts are raving about how this is so good for the Chiefs (because let's face it, they are the 'sexy' team at the moment) when in all honesty, it really doesn't improve anything they had from last year - because Ford/Clark were very comparable players.

So unless Clark just goes full HAM this year and turns into Lawrence Taylor 2.0, I just don't see the value here. I thought we'd get a 2nd and that was that - given Clark wanted to be the highest paid player at the position. The fact we got a 1st, AND a future 2nd... FAR surpassed my expectation.

Seattle has always done well evaluating edge talent since Carroll arrived. Carroll turned Clemons around, made Avril a beast, drafted Clark ALMOST IN THE 3RD ROUND and turned him into a beast... and here we are again... oh btw, we have that guy Rasheem Green who everyone knew would take 1-2 years of development? Yah don't forget about him.

My thoughts exactly. It has yet to be seen how the Seahawks will address the issue with pass rushers, but I feel that this is a good trade for the Seahawks.

I thought that a fair trade would be a late first rounder, but wasn't sure if we'd land that because whoever would trade for him would have to satisfy his contract demands. I was thinking in reality the Hawks would get a 2019 second round pick and a 2020 second or third round pick.

Clark is a good edge rusher and this is a blow to the 2019 defense, but it was the right move.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, they did pay him a lot ...

Only non-QBs making more are Khalil Mack ($23.5m per year) and Aaron Donald ($22.5m per year).

I'm aware that the salary cap in the new CBA will likely grow substantially, but I just can't justify making Clark one of the highest paid players in the league when it's tough to argue that he's even top-10 at his position.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we will see what comes of those draft picks if we trade back or use them as is. I however do not see this team beating the rams next year other than Wagner and Reed maybe KJ if he is healthy or Kendricks if he isn't in prison this defense is way to young and far from being competitive to get us to the super bowl they will probably be around the 15-20 defensive rankings.

I will say that this is a good deal given what is going on with wilsons massive contract and Clark probably skipping training camp being a distraction which is something they are trying to avoid. We also need cap to extend bobby wagner so ultimately it was choosing to keep Clark or Wagner

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a solid business decision by the Seahawks. Getting 2 high picks was the cake.
It's tough to say good bye to the players we all value, but sometimes it makes sense.
This btw, worked out stupendously for Frank. Good for him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what people are missing here is that RW could've made a lot more money had he tested FA next season... IMO, we got a friendly contract done for a franchise QB entering his prime while wanting to remain a Seahawk for life... Win/Win imo… You can not say the same for Clark... Clark was OK w/ the franchise tag 3 months ago... Then all of a sudden things changed... He was going to sit out because his agent was in his ear telling him he can get more... Glad we paid RW and not Clark...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we turn our 2, first round picks now into (2) seconds and (2) thirds or (3) seconds and (1) third... Especially in a very deep draft with defensive lineman? We can really stack the pack if we can turn those picks into a few good DL... I think we'll be just fine...

Yeah I fully expect the Seahawks to turn these 2 picks into more picks. Wouldn't surprise me if the Seahawks end up with 7-8 picks in this draft.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I"m reading because of the Frank Clark trade , Seattle now has 25.7 million in cap space, more than enough room to get Wagner and Reed deals done... :clap:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the Hawks get Next years least valued 2nd round pic from KC so #62-64. I hope they use that pick in a trade on Draft day for more picks this draft.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the sort of move that Belichick has made many times over the years -- trade an ascending player while his value in draft picks was at its highest, letting another team cough up those picks for the right to pay that player top dollar. We have been on the wrong side of this trade a couple times in the JS/PC era with Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham. Deon Branch in the Holmgren era. I think we got it right with Duane Brown, but I'm glad we are on this side of a big player-for-picks trade for once. We made out pretty well by doing this with Rick Mirer and Joey Galloway.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the sort of move that Belichick has made many times over the years -- trade an ascending player while his value in draft picks was at its highest, letting another team cough up those picks for the right to pay that player top dollar. We have been on the wrong side of this trade a couple times in the JS/PC era with Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham. Deon Branch in the Holmgren era. I think we got it right with Duane Brown, but I'm glad we are on this side of a big player-for-picks trade for once. We made out pretty well by doing this with Rick Mirer and Joey Galloway.

Yep... We turned Mirer into Shawn Springs I think... Can't believe the Bears gave up a 1st rounder... Did we get S. Alexander and K.Robinson with the Galloway trade?