• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not a Hypothetical: Frank Clark Traded

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A decent haul in return, but we have some work to do now for a pass rush.

Seahawks agree to trade Frank Clark to Chiefs for draft picks

We get the 29 overall this year, KC's 2nd rounder next year (the lower of the 2), and we also swapped 3rds this year.

Were seeing the impact of the Russ deal now, we're gonna lose some veteran talent, but wow, what a move to help in that area, having 2 first round pick now really helps... wouldn't surprise me if John and Pete trade down with both 1st round picks to stock pile more picks... we still only have 5 picks in this draft, but having 2 firsts now really helps....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were seeing the impact of the Russ deal now, we're gonna lose some veteran talent, but wow, what a move to help in that area, having 2 first round pick now really helps... wouldn't surprise me if John and Pete trade down with both 1st round picks to stock pile more picks... we still only have 5 picks in this draft, but having 2 firsts now really helps....
I don't know how connected this is to RW's extension. It did happen soon after, but chronology is not the same as causology. I think it could have had just as much to do with where contract talks were, how much the FO thought it was going to re-sign him, what kind of effect it may have had on the team to have an "unhappy" defensive star playing under the franchise tag, the light booty of 2019 draft picks, etc. I remember a handful of years ago people on here telling us we couldn't afford the LOB; we got them all to at least a 2nd contract plus extended Russell past his rookie deal in that timeframe.

Russell's contract is going to be about 15% of the cap the next 2 or 3 seasons. I don't think that alone is going to force us to dump salary.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hawks can still trade their 2nd next year (from KC) to utilize for the draft this year...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt Russ's deal had much to do with this - I'd say Clark asking for $21 million a year had much more to do with it that Russell's deal.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how connected this is to RW's extension. It did happen soon after, but chronology is not the same as causology. I think it could have had just as much to do with where contract talks were, how much the FO thought it was going to re-sign him, what kind of effect it may have had on the team to have an "unhappy" defensive star playing under the franchise tag, the light booty of 2019 draft picks, etc. I remember a handful of years ago people on here telling us we couldn't afford the LOB; we got them all to at least a 2nd contract plus extended Russell past his rookie deal in that timeframe.

Russell's contract is going to be about 15% of the cap the next 2 or 3 seasons. I don't think that alone is going to force us to dump salary.

It was more about the guarantee money than anything... It's not like the Hawks weren't open to pay Clark 19/20mil a year w/ the tag... Clark got 63.5 million guaranteed money (just as much as RW, a franchise QB did)... Would the people who are complaining rather have signed Clark instead of Wilson? I'm confused... If we signed Clark with his guaranteed money, RW was going bye bye... Maybe the team values Bobby Wagner more and want to take care of him instead of Clark...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Clark will actually be a great fit in KC... Especially since opponents will be passing quite while playing from behind for the most part...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more about the guarantee money than anything... It's not like the Hawks weren't open to pay Clark 19/20mil a year w/ the tag... Clark got 63.5 million guaranteed money (just as much as RW, a franchise QB did)... Would the people who are complaining rather have signed Clark instead of Wilson? I'm confused... If we signed Clark with his guaranteed money, RW was going bye bye... Maybe the team values Bobby Wagner more and want to take care of him instead of Clark...
I think the Dolphins showed everyone why you cannot pay QB money to someone other than a QB when they signed Suh a few years ago. However, KC may be able to pull it off while Mahomes is still making peanuts these next couple years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Russ's deal had much to do with this - I'd say Clark asking for $21 million a year had much more to do with it that Russell's deal.

No doubt, that had an impact... Other veterans are gonna hit us with some big offers down the road, so drafting well is gonna matter... Matters even more now having one player take up so much of the cap down the road... We had to keep Russ though, we would a been hurting without him ...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we turn our 2, first round picks now into (2) seconds and (2) thirds or (3) seconds and (1) third... Especially in a very deep draft with defensive lineman? We can really stack the pack if we can turn those picks into a few good DL... I think we'll be just fine...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, that had an impact... Other veterans are gonna hit us with some big offers down the road, so drafting well is gonna matter... Matters even more now having one player take up so much of the cap down the road... We had to keep Russ though, we would a been hurting without him ...

Yah Wilson is expensive but it kind of had to happen. The fact we went 9-7 in 2017-18 with him while we had ZERO run game and the OL was the worst in the league (now it's just bottom 10 but more towards middle of the pack)... and could've made the playoffs if it wasn't for Blair fuckin' Walsh... and then we went 10-6 and made the playoffs when we had little receiving help and a pretty crappy TE situation while everyone predicted us to be 5-11 or 6-10? Uh, yah, that was mostly in part Wilson. And I'll throw Wagner in the mix too, and that's a mandatory signing next season.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah Wilson is expensive but it kind of had to happen. The fact we went 9-7 in 2017-18 with him while we had ZERO run game and the OL was the worst in the league (now it's just bottom 10 but more towards middle of the pack)... and could've made the playoffs if it wasn't for Blair fuckin' Walsh... and then we went 10-6 and made the playoffs when we had little receiving help and a pretty crappy TE situation while everyone predicted us to be 5-11 or 6-10? Uh, yah, that was mostly in part Wilson. And I'll throw Wagner in the mix too, and that's a mandatory signing next season.

OH totally agree, we had to sign Wilson... We would a been utterly screwed without his leadership out there...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to disagree here. While it may have some implications on how a player feels in terms of priorities from the Hawks FO. Like Clark literally just came out and thanks KC for swooping in and made him feel like he's wanted. The Hawks are going to prioritize guys like Russ and Bobby first, so this has an impact on how Clark feels about being here. But Russ' signing has nothing to do with this imo. It's more so, in what Clark was asking.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Clark threatening to sit on if he was tagged prompted Schneider to do something about him.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't care where the implications came from or if there truly are any, but we got a potential steal in this deal as long as we draft right. There's no doubt in my mind that we flip one if not both first rounders into multiple picks. Plus, we now have cap space to sign one of the remaining pass rushers to fill some of the void left by Clark. This also could signal the possibility of locking up Bobby long term as well. The reality is that Frank ended up getting a massive contract with QB level guarantees, sorry but that wasn't happening here. Day one is gonna be a blast to watch this year, can't wait!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, the Chiefs were able to do this trade because they have a star QB on a rookie contract. Smart move for them. But still a great move for us.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Clark threatening to sit on if he was tagged prompted Schneider to do something about him.

I believe I read somewhere (could be wrong, not going to scour Google for an hour) Clark said he would sit if there was no new deal or trade. I think he took out an insurance policy last year, but dunno about this upcoming season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a fantastic trade.

The Chiefs traded away a comparable player in Dee Ford (albeit 3 years older) for a 2019 second round pick. The Seahawks landed a 2019 first round pick and a 2020 second round pick in exchange for him and won't be responsible to make him the third highest paid non-QB in the NFL.

Frank Clark is a good edge rusher, but his value is not nearly worth what the Chiefs have given him. When I heard the Seahawks were asking for a first and second round pick for him, I thought they were insane.

This puts the Seahawks in a really tough position when it comes to pass rushers in 2019, but Clark was never going to get more than $17m a year with the Seahawks and I believe they received a return that actually exceeds Frank Clark's value.

I think this benefits the Seahawks long-term substantially. With the Hawks potentially getting 4 compensatory picks for the 2020 draft, this would mean as of right now we project to have 12 picks in the 2020 draft. Two second round picks, two third round picks, two fourth round picks, two sixth round picks and two seventh round picks.

Seahawks pass rush will probably suck in 2019 unless they really hit on the draft, but I think this was the best long-term move for the team.