• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non Mariners Baseball News

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't get me going on fister

espn was a total shithole, of course, but the idiots on there got really mad at me for freaking over the fister trade. that and the high ceiling ackley horse shit really got to me. i feel stupid for still getting angry about it, actually.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't get me going on fister

espn was a total shithole, of course, but the idiots on there got really mad at me for freaking over the fister trade. that and the high ceiling ackley horse shit really got to me. i feel stupid for still getting angry about it, actually.

The Fister trade was bad from the beginning. We all at CBS agreed on that and had no idea what the hell Jack Z saw in that deal. Casper freaking Wells? Francisco Martinez? Are you kidding me? We all had to hope that there was something in those guys that nobody but Jack saw, and the trade was terrible from the beginning.

It's difficult to say Ackley was a bad selection, it had been on the wall for a long time that Ackley and Strasburg would go #2 and #1 respectively.

In hindsight, the Montero trade was bad. But at the time it made sense, a top pitching prospect for a top catching prospect. Montero was more highly touted than Pineda ever was, and in his brief stint playing for the Yankees he looked good. Hell, I still think if you called him up he could hit .270 and 20 or so HRs, but Jack Z is too damn stubborn.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fister trade was bad from the beginning. We all at CBS agreed on that and had no idea what the hell Jack Z saw in that deal. Casper freaking Wells? Francisco Martinez? Are you kidding me? We all had to hope that there was something in those guys that nobody but Jack saw, and the trade was terrible from the beginning.

It's difficult to say Ackley was a bad selection, it had been on the wall for a long time that Ackley and Strasburg would go #2 and #1 respectively.

In hindsight, the Montero trade was bad. But at the time it made sense, a top pitching prospect for a top catching prospect. Montero was more highly touted than Pineda ever was, and in his brief stint playing for the Yankees he looked good. Hell, I still think if you called him up he could hit .270 and 20 or so HRs, but Jack Z is too damn stubborn.
i should've been posting on CBS,then. espn was fucking insane.

and i'm not saying ackley was a bad draft selection.

it was fine.

as i've said before, i wasn't watching the m's from about 2007-2011. i came back in 2012 specifically because i heard good things about a kid named ackley in 2011. the enthusiasm was huge. i tuned in, and immediately saw that he was spectacularly overhyped. that swing...jesus. i tried talking about how seager was the one to watch, and got bombarded with how I was stupid and how ackley had a high ceiling and seager was nothing. really grated on me more than it should have, i can admit. i got labeled a troll for saying things that were readily apparent.

sorry for the novel. happy 4th!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i should've been posting on CBS,then. espn was fucking insane.

and i'm not saying ackley was a bad draft selection.

it was fine.

as i've said before, i wasn't watching the m's from about 2007-2011. i came back in 2012 specifically because i heard good things about a kid named ackley in 2011. the enthusiasm was huge. i tuned in, and immediately saw that he was spectacularly overhyped. that swing...jesus. i tried talking about how seager was the one to watch, and got bombarded with how I was stupid and how ackley had a high ceiling and seager was nothing. really grated on me more than it should have, i can admit. i got labeled a troll for saying things that were readily apparent.

sorry for the novel. happy 4th!

I've seen much longer novels lol, you must not spend much time on the political forum.

Happy 4th to you as well!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fister trade was bad from the beginning. We all at CBS agreed on that and had no idea what the hell Jack Z saw in that deal. Casper freaking Wells? Francisco Martinez? Are you kidding me? We all had to hope that there was something in those guys that nobody but Jack saw, and the trade was terrible from the beginning

No doubt about that... What did he see in Wells?

It's difficult to say Ackley was a bad selection, it had been on the wall for a long time that Ackley and Strasburg would go #2 and #1 respectively

Agreed... I thought Ackley made the most sense at the time... He was a line-drive hitter who sprayed the entire park, perfect fit for Safeco... Some had compared him to Tony Gwynn from that stand point... It was a no-brainer at the time...

Production at the plate, the trade made sense... The only thing i thought the Ms' did a horrible job was from the scouting standpoint on how he played behind the plate... He's a bad defender, doesn't call a good game and can't throw a guy out a 2nd for the life of him... Our scouting dept dropped the ball on that one...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about that... What did he see in Wells?

Agreed... I thought Ackley made the most sense at the time... He was a line-drive hitter who sprayed the entire park, perfect fit for Safeco... Some had compared him to Tony Gwynn from that stand point... It was a no-brainer at the time...

Production at the plate, the trade made sense... The only thing i thought the Ms' did a horrible job was from the scouting standpoint on how he played behind the plate... He's a bad defender, doesn't call a good game and can't throw a guy out a 2nd for the life of him... Our scouting dept dropped the ball on that one...

I think with Montero, they figured that his bat would more than compensate for his mediocre defensive ability behind the plate. Montero projected to be an absolute monster at the MLB level, most scouts expected him to hit around .300 with 30 HRs. Mike Piazza was the most common comparison I saw for Jesus Montero.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Montero, they figured that his bat would more than compensate for his mediocre defensive ability behind the plate. Montero projected to be an absolute monster at the MLB level, most scouts expected him to hit around .300 with 30 HRs. Mike Piazza was the most common comparison I saw for Jesus Montero.

Yeah, good point... I had heard of the Piazza comparison... If he could give us that kind of production, DANG!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing with Montero/Pineda to me is that is what just an odd trade. Trade an all star young pitcher for him, granted he looked good for his cup of coffee stint but Jack could've had him the previous deadline for Lee. To me you trade rent a players like Lee for the proposed Montero deal and Pineda for guys like Smoak.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing with Montero/Pineda to me is that is what just an odd trade. Trade an all star young pitcher for him, granted he looked good for his cup of coffee stint but Jack could've had him the previous deadline for Lee. To me you trade rent a players like Lee for the proposed Montero deal and Pineda for guys like Smoak.

I agree with your point. But at the time it was the Mariners trading a good, young pitcher for a good, young bat. Montero was a top 5 prospect, and had an OPS of .996 in his brief playing time with the Yankees.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your point. But at the time it was the Mariners trading a good, young pitcher for a good, young bat. Montero was a top 5 prospect, and had an OPS of .996 in his brief playing time with the Yankees.

I can understand the whole top prospect thing but Jeremy Reed looked like a lock for a HOFer in his brief call up with Mariners after his trade too, but it's just hard for me to be convinced that trading a young all star under team control for a guy who was a top hitting prospect but everyone knew couldn't catch or really play a position was the right move as IMO Pineda should've been the one packaged in the offseason for a Justin Smoak type prospect. But I'm also basing that on the fact that in order to get Smoak Jack had to give up one of their best relievers.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels offense has been pretty inert all year, but after a 13-0 win yesterday over Texas, they now have a 12-1 lead in the 5th.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone following Carter Capps' season this year?

23 IPs
44 strikeouts
5 walks
1.57 ERA
0.78 WHIP

Mariners have been hurting for reliable right handed relief all year. But hey, we got good ole Logan Morrison, our .237-hitting lead off guy, so who's complaining?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone following Carter Capps' season this year?

23 IPs
44 strikeouts
5 walks
1.57 ERA
0.78 WHIP

Mariners have been hurting for reliable right handed relief all year. But hey, we got good ole Logan Morrison, our .237-hitting lead off guy, so who's complaining?

Capps had a 5.49 ERA when we traded him. We needed another hitter, so we traded him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just a matter of time before capps was going to do well

we all knew it

kid just turned 24

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowest Batting average in a season with at least:

100 PA: Dean Chance, P, 1967, Minnesota Twins, .033
200 PA: Frank O'Rourke, 3B, 1912. Boston Braves, .122
300 PA: Bill Bergen, C, 1909, Brooklyn Dodgers, .139
400 PA: Dal Maxvill, SS, 1969, St. Louis Cardinals, .175
500 PA: Rob Deer, RF, 1991, Detroit Tigers, .179

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowest Batting average in a season with at least:

100 PA: Dean Chance, P, 1967, Minnesota Twins, .033
200 PA: Frank O'Rourke, 3B, 1912. Boston Braves, .122
300 PA: Bill Bergen, C, 1909, Brooklyn Dodgers, .139
400 PA: Dal Maxvill, SS, 1969, St. Louis Cardinals, .175
500 PA: Rob Deer, RF, 1991, Detroit Tigers, .179

Mike Zunino and Mark Trumbo will certainly have something to say about that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least in 1991, Rob Deer managed to have an OBP almost 100 points higher than the one Zunino currently has.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels with 43 runs in their last 4 games.

We get them for 4 game starting tomorrow.