• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nolan/Zatkoff Waived

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really surprised, Zatkoff was a huge reason why the Kings couldn't make the POs last season. not only was his play terrible but that forced the Kings to play Budaj relentlessly. I remember in late Jan/Feb Budaj probably had the worst month his season, it was obvious he was tired out but with no cap space or options they had to to keep riding him until Bishop was acquired. Good luck and thanks for the (awful) memories.

Nolan is an interesting one, I think last season he really played well compared to previous years. He showed some more skill, some more panache and creativity. I don't know the extent of the injury they mentioned but overall I saw an increase in his level of play but a decrease in his level of professionalism. I remember he missed a team practice and then Sutter calling him out.

Not sure if he is like his father, who also has a muddled reputation as being someone hard to work with sometimes, but questionable dedication doesn't generally bode well in organizations (anyone read up on Mike Ribiero? Had a relapse in Dec, remains unsigned as a UFA and is nowhere to be found - not even with his family and kids). I remember Nolan always sticking up for his teammates however and he wasn't a bad fighter.

While it could be a character issue issue, it could also very well be he is a dinosaur in this game today. With the Kings shifting offensive philosophy, with minimal skill there really isn't a spot for him barring something unforeseen and the Kings do not have the luxury of cap space to keep a guy like him on the roster.

This guy I do thank for his LA service, he and King were the sparks in 2012 after being called up that really balanced the lines out and led to the first Cup.

PS - notice something on that Waivers list? Lot of ex-Kings, all under Dumbo's watch. While he was going for broke trying to keep LA a winner - as he should have - the quality of his drafts picks/talent acquisition tumbled.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really surprised about Nolan getting the heave-ho. Probably because they're serious about getting faster.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's probably the crux of it, he isn't overly fast or skilled. However, I do believe in having some muscle on a team - I'm still a throwback somewhat - but not a player who only brings that to the table. Easier said than found but a player like Nolan with some speed would be ideal.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's probably the crux of it, he isn't overly fast or skilled. However, I do believe in having some muscle on a team - I'm still a throwback somewhat - but not a player who only brings that to the table. Easier said than found but a player like Nolan with some speed would be ideal.

I guess that's why they kept Clifford. He's not really any faster or skilled than Nolan, but he's a willing fighter.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Nolan was ok, stood up for his team more then most of the roster. He seemed to have the mind of making skill plays, but not the skill to do it

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see he was claimed by Buffalo. I really don't think Nolan got a fair shake with Sutter and if given a shot I think will set career highs....not that the bar is off the ground

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should have an expanded role in Buffalo, hope he can get some decent playing time and improve as a player. I disagree with the fair shake statement, he was getting consistent ice time the first 3-4 years here but then it started to go down with the additions of guys like Shore, Andreoff and Dowd.

In that B6 role you have to make the most of your limited minutes and I don't feel he did that although this last season I felt was his best season s a King in terms of development. I do agree he always was willing to fight for his teammates, which goes a long way in a locker room.

Also saw Gravel was assigned to Ontario; I think he played well last season but his Waivers exempt status as well as Folin and MacDermid making strong cases for the 5-7 defender role made it tough. Gravel was decent last season but could use some more experience, I look forward to seeing him LA sooner than later full time.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mersch waived as well. Pretty sure we all knew he had to have a very strong camp in order to stay because of hi age and roster spots. Fit the mold Dumbo went after, big, strong against the boards but didn't seem to have NHL caliber hands or good speed.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember he would always get benched if he tried anything "hockey", sure Nolan made some mistakes but I think there was glimpses of being able to do a bit more. King was inserted up and down the lineup allowed to be offensive (in a couple of ways haha)and while Nolan wasn't as big as King but he sure did play "bigger" and IMO did not get the same chance.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't look at it that way, and in that case I fully agree. I don't know what the love affair with King was, perhaps management was afraid of him unleashing his potential Level 9 Crazy because of the Jack Nicholson smile.